Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Discussion
Help with my Alien Aircraft build

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little stuck early on in my build of the Taylorcraft kit. I need to add the 4-40 blind nuts to the ply firewall. The directions say to just press them into the hole in the wood. The ply isn't very soft and I am not able to just press them in. Should I be drilling small pilot holes for the prongs on the nut?

This is my first build and am not sure if I am doing this right. I tried using a tap hammer and broke the wooden piece so I need to glue that back together. Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

PS I left the title of the thread generic as I may be needing further advice once I get past this hurdle
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Paul,

What I do is put a washer on the bolt head to spread the load on the wood then thread the blind nut on to the bolt. Use the bolt to pull the nut into the hole. Just before the blind nut pulls flush I usually put a drop of medium CA under the flange.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. You've got a ton of great builders here to help you every step of the way. Be sure to post pictures of your build.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Joe has it right. I personally, use epoxy on the T-nuts but that is just me. And yes, ask as many questions as you need. Heck, even the guys that have been building for a while ask questions.

Most of all, have fun while you are building and don't be afraid to walk away from a problem for a day. It's amazing how some problems "solve" themselves if left alone for a bit. Or, maybe more accurately, the solution becomes apparent more easily.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Paul,

What I do is put a washer on the bolt head to spread the load on the wood then thread the blind nut on to the bolt. Use the bolt to pull the nut into the hole. Just before the blind nut pulls flush I usually put a drop of medium CA under the flange.

Joe
Joe, this worked like a charm! Thanks for the great tip.

Paul
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
You're welcome Paul. Glad it worked for you. The Herr/Alien kits are nice stuff. You'll enjoy the build. I finished the Blinker a while back and really had fun. Now I just need to get out and maiden it someday......

Joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:26 AM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
You're welcome Paul. Glad it worked for you. The Herr/Alien kits are nice stuff. You'll enjoy the build. I finished the Blinker a while back and really had fun. Now I just need to get out and maiden it someday......

Joe
Yes, you will love the Herr Kits. Did the Cub a while back. Flys great right off the board.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:55 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Are the Aileron servos glued into the wing like my foam planes are or should they be screwed into the ply frame in the wing? I am using the HS 55 servos recommended by Tom Herr
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:29 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
No glue. Screw 'em in. The screws that come with the servos work fine. I don't know if the servo mount area in your plane is balsa or hardwood but if hardwood drill a small pilot hole first because those tiny screw heads can strip if you use them to make the hole and the threads.

Joe
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Everyone has been very helpful. The kit is nearly done, just finished all of the covering and adding the servos to the wing. One last (hopefully) question is applying the decals. How do I put these on? They don't seem like the same type I use on my plastic models. Do you just soak them in water and slide them off? There are just four decals so I don't want to waste any
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Those decals are peel and stick. I like to trim them nice and close to the graphics so you don't end up with a big shiny area around the decal. If you're worried about messing up the positioning you can get a small spray bottle and mix up a solution of about a cup of water and a few drops of DAWN dish soap. Spray the area and lay down the decal. It should slide fairly easily without sticking too bad. When you're satisfied with the position then squeegee the excess water out with a credit card and let it dry. Once dry wipe down the area with window cleaner. The Dawn is an excellent dispersant and supposedly works better than any other brand. There may be others that work as well but this is the method I was told back in the 80's. Never had a reason to try anything else. Been using Dawn ever since to wash dishes.

Joe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:05 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Hi Guys,

My plane is just about done, just need to add the struts but I am very happy with it. Alien makes a great kit and I hope to make another one very soon, maybe the PT17. Not sure if I built in very good flight characteristics so we'll wait and see how the maiden goes. Any issues with the plane are solely my lack of technique and the proper tools, both of which have been somewhat rectified by the experience of this build. I used Ultracote Parklite covering. Learning how to do this was a great experience. I'm even happy with how the wing tips turned out.

Thanks to all that were such a big help, especially Turbojoe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:27 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
76 Posts
It looks great... Please let us know how the maiden flight goes...
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Outstanding end result for a first build (or a tenth for that matter). You should be very proud. Remember to triple check everything before maiden and let us know just how good she flew.

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:47 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
I was able to maiden my new Taylorcraft this past weekend. The wind died down to almost nothing for a few hours so I got out around 4pm. I had very low expectations of the flying characteristics of this plane. Not because of the quality of the kit, wh ich is outstanding, but some of the mistakes I made along the way. I didn't do a very good job of bending the landing gear wire so the right hand wheel wasn't rolling too freely. Also, the horizontal stabilizer wasn't set as straight as it should have been. All mistakes I did to a great kit.

Anyhoo...the flight exceeded my expectations tremendously. I made two flights with touch and gos from our grass field and it was a blast. Flies wonderfully, just needed some battery placement adjustment to balance out.

I used Ultracotes Parklite to cover my plane. It's a bit transparent but I thought I needed the light weight for such a light plane. Now, I think I could go with regular Ultracote as the plane really zips around on the suggested motor.

So thanks for all the help...now on to the next kit, what ever that may be
Last edited by pmacko; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typos
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
I was able to maiden my new Taylorcraft this past weekend. The wind died down to almost nothing for a few hours so I got out around 4pm. I had very low expectations of the flying characteristics of this plane. Not because of the quality of the kit, wh ich is outstanding, but some of the mistakes I made along the way. I didn't do a very good job of bending the landing gear wire so the right hand wheel wasn't rolling too freely. Also, the horizontal stabilizer wasn't set as straight as it should have been. All mistakes I did to a great kit.

Anyhoo...the flight exceeded my expectations tremendously. I made two flights with touch and gos from our grass field and it was a blast. Flies wonderfully, just needed some battery placement adjustment to balance out.

I used Ultracotes Parklite to cover my plane. It's a bit transparent but I thought I needed the light weight for such a light plane. Now, I think I could go with regular Ultracote as the plane really zips around on the suggested motor.

So thanks for all the help...now on to the next kit, what ever that may be
Congrats.... you did a great job
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry