HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:33 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
....... and I'll have close to $1,000 in it as I watch it head down the runway. It's a perfect intermediate practice plane, if I can keep it in one piece. This will be the first plane I am buying expressly because it is no fun to fly.

Flying a turbine trainer and even a 1/6 F-16 should be a piece of cake after that thing...
This is the problem I have with a high-end EDF. You could have build yourself a turbine trainer for the $$$ you have into the little F-4. I've seen good, used air-start engines go for $600... and a Falcon is $150. Or... a ShockJet is only $500.

Also... a jet should be fun. If it's not... then why do it?? As I've said before... I'm not a "jet Jock"... but I love the sound, and smell of my turbines, and they put a HUGE grin on my face every time I fly them. So... to build an EDF that is "No fun to fly" is the wrong thing.

Lastly... a poor flying, heavy loaded 90mm EDF isn't the same as trying to fly a 30 Lb turbine. BUT... once again... if the EDF was on your "To-Do" list... then go fly it, and have fun.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:38 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Hold the boat there Honda lol

The 90 Viper is rock solid. Its the Hawk that has the tip stall problems. I know cause I had both

Not trying to start a war here.. just saying

But seriously.. The absolute best 90mm from HK is the L-59. That is one plane that really deserves a micro turbine. I regret selling that one.

Now here's whats up on the bench after the Byron F-16

SU-37 from the king. She's getting a p-60 in her

Sorry for getting off topic guys

I've only seen the 90mm Viper... and they have a nasty torque/tip thing on take-off. BUT... I will admit, the T-45 is a "Tippy" bird. But... they are tippy regardless of the size.

BUT......

I need one of the SU-37's. I'm going to go look now.

*****EDIT******

Doesn't look like they have it anymore.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Jan 09, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Aug 2008
288 Posts
Of all the suitable airframes I mentioned earlier as a possible first plane, I forgot to mention the Eurosport. This plane is relatively inexpensive, large enough to be seen in the air, but light enough to be powered by 24lbs thrust turbine. The best quality of this model is that it can be operated from a short runway (300' paved), and it is extremely aerobatic (not extremely fast). Mine was powered with an old RAM 1000 that only produced 24lbs of thrust eventhough it was rated at 28lbs. The Eurosport is one of two models (1/5 scale MB339 was the second) that I sold, but wished I had kept.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:22 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Two things.....

1) The HK 90mm Viper has some real flying issues. (I wouldn't touch it)
I know. I was kidding. I read the thread and saw the carnage on the vidoes. Regarding price, if I could get started for a price like that, then I'd go turbine from the getgo.

Vettster - that is a very clever build on nthat SU. Keep us posted. Where will the fuel tanks go?
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:26 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantagepoint View Post
Of all the suitable airframes I mentioned earlier as a possible first plane, I forgot to mention the Eurosport. This plane is relatively inexpensive, large enough to be seen in the air, but light enough to be powered by 24lbs thrust turbine. The best quality of this model is that it can be operated from a short runway (300' paved), and it is extremely aerobatic (not extremely fast). Mine was powered with an old RAM 1000 that only produced 24lbs of thrust eventhough it was rated at 28lbs. The Eurosport is one of two models (1/5 scale MB339 was the second) that I sold, but wished I had kept.
Is that the CARF plane?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:55 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
What's the empty weight of the Su37? I'm currently doing a twin 90mm Eurofighter which is 4.62lb for the kit. Scale 1/9.5 so about the same size as the SU37. 65" long ans ws 47"
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
I know. I was kidding. I read the thread and saw the carnage on the vidoes. Regarding price, if I could get started for a price like that, then I'd go turbine from the getgo.
you didnt read far enough TT The crashes were from the earlier days before we realized that ProDesign has posted the wrong CG. After I figured it out..there where nothing but success stories Second best EDF next to the L-59 Actually the Hawk is tied with it

As for the fuel tanks on the SU.. they will be going in the intakes and mid fues area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
What's the empty weight of the Su37? I'm currently doing a twin 90mm Eurofighter which is 4.62lb for the kit. Scale 1/9.5 so about the same size as the SU37. 65" long ans ws 47"
Not sure of the emptly weight.. I found this info....
Specs:
Wingspan: 1200mm
Length: 1737mm
Flying Weight: 5500g~6000g

From my EDF experience I would say that its a Heavy EDF(hense the reason theres not a lot of video of it flying.) but not to bad for a turbine, maybe even lighter since theres no need for dual this and dual that

Id say they are almost Identical in size Henke. What turbine are you going to use. Lets see some pics
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Jan 10, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
Quote:
As for the fuel tanks on the SU.. they will be going in the intakes and mid fues area.
I suspected you'd say the intakes. The only potential issue I see with that is that the roof of the intake is in fact the underside of the lifting body "wing". AT least on the full-scale aircraft, it also has this function. Most foamy airframes of these subjects replicate that feature. Not sure what the outcome would be if the "intake" is blocked by a tank.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
288 Posts
Quote:
Is that the CARF plane?
Yes, it is a CARF plane. The only thing not to like about this model is the access hatch is on the bottom of the fuse which made getting access to the engine a pain.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:10 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
I suspected you'd say the intakes. The only potential issue I see with that is that the roof of the intake is in fact the underside of the lifting body "wing". AT least on the full-scale aircraft, it also has this function. Most foamy airframes of these subjects replicate that feature. Not sure what the outcome would be if the "intake" is blocked by a tank.
Yeah,,, i understand what your saying.. and i dont really want to put them there. Not so much because of the lift issue..but more the head on drag. But anywhoo.. I havent started it yet and things can change many times during a build as you know
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:05 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
So true. Not sure you'd make CG with the fuel in that erea. Nice thing about the SUs is that there is a lot of interior fuse volume behind the cockpit. You could even make a tank by molding Kevlar to the inside of the fuse.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
Quote:
From my EDF experience I would say that its a Heavy EDF(hense the reason theres not a lot of video of it flying.) but not to bad for a turbine, maybe even lighter since theres no need for dual this and dual that

Id say they are almost Identical in size Henke. What turbine are you going to use. Lets see some pics
Build thread over here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806703 (I copied the build log from RCU to this forum too) mine will be a twin twice the trouble
Last edited by henke; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
我也做过一个SU37 但是不知道怎么在这里上传图片。I also had a SU37 but does not know how to upload it here.
bmwsony is offline Find More Posts by bmwsony
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:37 AM
Cudahy, WI, USA
Joined Jul 2005
29 Posts
Quote:
Why both are Harry. You have heard of electric flight, have you not?

My biggest power setup currently is 7S on a Power 110 (the sea fury on the left) and there are bigger builds coming, including my very nice ESM Spitfire which will fly on 10 or 12S. Believe me, these birds can haul the mail. You see, I like flying, not fiddling with glow plugs, needle valves, and wiping stinky residue off my nice model. And the birds can be hangared inside the house. What is good for my wife is good for me, and I am lucky that she puts up with my various hobbies. Here are 2 of my planes...
No one else caught this one.......

A turbine does have a certain "aroma" that it gives off. Some love it some hate it. Different fuels will have different amounts of aroma.
Some of the new turbines are ok to run on diesel fuel. This is probably the stinkiest fuel to bring into the house.
Many run jet fuel from the local airport. This does not have quite as strong of a smell as diesel but still does have a strong "aroma".
K1 kerosine is probably the most popular fuel. It has a lot less "aroma". If you get the "orderless K1" it is expensive but has the least strong "aroma".
No matter how good of a job of cleaning up at the field there will be some "jet aroma" where ever you store it.

You may consider the jet aroma as an aphrodisiac, but many wives do not.
Flyinfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyinfool
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:38 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
Many run jet fuel from the local airport. This does not have quite as strong of a smell as diesel but still does have a strong "aroma".
Over here Diesel smells virtually nothing while Jet A1 STINKS! a small spill will ruin your basement for ages.

Before changeing over to diesel I could in no way store my planes inside the house. With diesel it's no problem.

Jet A1 should be the same, but diesle differs around the globe I think.