HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Winch Upgrade Final Update

All 13ft/160in of Sub-Zero braided ice fishing line installed on the winch.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Winch Controller Upgrade.

Well now that the winch line is taken care of it’s time to move on to the controller.
The stock controller's neutral point is SO small that it’s hard to find neutral. This is the reason what started all my issues in the first place.

So with a little bit of research I found that a lot of people were using brushed speed controllers. Well I just happened to have one in the parts box, so I removed the casing to reduce the size/foot print and also did some re-wiring.

The esc in its original form had the main battery leads and motor leads out the back along with the On/Off and RX lead on the side.

I removed the On/Off switch and soldered the pos/neg tabs together so the esc is permanently On.

Converting the ESC to Winch Controller.

First I removed the battery and motor leads.
Soldered a new blk/red lead from motor +/- esc output for connection to winch.
Soldered a replacement servo lead +/- wires to the esc battery input and the signal lead to the signal input of the receiver connection on the esc.

This had now turned the ESC into a winch controller powered by the servo lead connected to the esc. This is what I wanted since I am using an external BEC to deliver 7.4v to the receiver and 7.4v servos used for steering and 2spd tranny.

Wrapped the esc in latex glove (finger) just to prevent the Plasti Dip from going between the board and having to dip it more than once to get complete coverage. This also allows me to return the esc now turned winch controller back to its original form with minimal fuss of having to remove and clean the esc from the Plasti dip.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling/wording
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Using a ESC to control the winch not only fixes any possibility of Winch Creep but it also allows me to use some of my transmitter features. Having both my thumb trimmers control the ESC at the same time but using different programming in my radio I have the top thumb trimmer set to On/Off/On while the bottom thumb trimmer is set to Propo/Off/Propo using my trim step adjustment feature and I have it programmed with Low,Med & High Speed for either direction.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: wording/spelling
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Steering and Tranny Servos

For my RC4WD Trail Finder2 build I decided to use HS-5646WP High Voltage, High Torque, Programmable Digital Waterproof Servo I really wanted programmable servos or servo for the steering because of the small servo I am using for the functional steering in the cab I needed to make sure I could reverse the direction of the servo with having the need to use a reversing Y, this allows me to have 1 channel drive both servos.

Using this particular servo for the 2 tranny is over kill (180oz) but then the metal gears, digital and waterproof was also important.

This truck will not be going underwater but it's nice to have to know if snow or rain gets on them there not going to fry.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:38 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
RC4WD Update

It's coming along slowly or I should say just taking my time to make sure I build it the way I want it.

Should be getting my ESC next week or so when it's released.

My homemade Paint Mixer
Homemade Paint Mixer (0 min 16 sec)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Front & Read Aluminum Bumper Mounts

Just got my #2 & #3 Aluminum bumper mounts. I broke two plastic mounts within a week so I figure these would be a good upgrade.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:44 PM
Romans 8:28
California
Joined Mar 2010
389 Posts
Nice truck! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
peacekeeper94 is offline Find More Posts by peacekeeper94
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DHK Wolf
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:28 AM
Canada, NL, Corner Brook
Joined May 2011
158 Posts
Awesome build so far some very good tips and awesome little ideas with the DIY wipers and steering !

I have the same winch and it creeps on me and vibrates too, I use a tqi remote with 3 pos switch I have tried adjusting the screw on the winch controller but it still vibrates after the first use... I think rc4wd winches aren't as great as I expected... I may have to do te same esc mod u did for the winch controller...

Anyhow glad you got it fixed up and working and I have the agree rc4wd does have great service, my tf2 axle housing came stripped.. They sent me a new set right away... Got those and noticed one hole was stripped in them but I went ahead with a longer screw and put it right through the housing with a nut on other side... So far not much luck on some of the quality control into their products. Very cool stuff though nonetheless. I love my trail finder.

Ill be watching your build. So far amazing ideas and very thorough build! Subbed!
85miles is offline Find More Posts by 85miles
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:17 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Build Update

This build is SLOWLY coming along, trying to save money for other projects means I canít afford to pay for the fastest shipping method and whatever parts my LHS donít carry means I got to order which means 3-4 weeks for shipping when the cheapest shipping option is selected.
With that said Iím really only waiting on my ESC to arrive which was supposed to be released mid Jan. But like most release dates they often get pushed back so I am still waiting for it. Once I get my ESC I will now have a completed rolling chassis and will be able to test fit everything and start painting the body.
Got my 3Racing LED Light System thanks to my brother for providing me with a spare kit that he had lying around. All I did was order the RC4WD basic LED lights for the Mojave Body kit.

I did glue the back window frame to the body. The kit comes with two options, a half piece and a full piece if you decide to run without the truck bed you can close off the back of the truck. Since I plan on using the truck bed I glued the half piece with canopy glue.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:40 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Winch Replacement Update

I also got my replacement winch from RC4WD.

Bottom plate was bent again but easily repaired. This is surely done during the shipping process and by no means do I hold RC4WD responsible for that.

Opened the bag and inspected the winch and found 2 of the 4 screws that hold the winch together already stripped from manufacturer assembly. Got the camera out and took pictures to send to RC4WD.

So I connected everything up and this time NOTHING is happening and I don't mean it's not vibrating, I mean nothing is working. So I start looking into what is going on when all of a sudden the line snapped and the winch starts to spool inwards freely now since the line broke. I notice that no matter how I position my transmitter winch switch all I can do is slow it down.
So that means the controller is off center so I get ready to remove the gum/glue on the controller adjustment only to find that it already looks like it's been tampered with. I probably got a refurbished controller/winch.

Up to this point it's not that bad since I was going to eventually replace the stock line with my Ice Fishing line that I had used on the first winch.

But guess what? It still vibrates.
So I took pictures and made a short video and sent it off the RC4WD. Quick response back asking me to test couple things. Emailed them the results of the tests and the response I got was.

They are very close to releasing the new version of the winch which is supposed to have a new controller and when time they will send me one.

I will say this, RC4WD has great customer service and they obviously stand by their product and truly want their customers to be happy.

Here's hoping the new one will solve my issues.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Functional LED Light Kit setup

What do you guys think should be the setup for this truck?

Head Lights = Always ON or Dim when not moving and Bright when moving ?

Bumper Lights = Fog lights Dim or Full or Amber Turn Signal ?

Front Side Markers = Always DIM (Amber) or Turn Signal (Amber) ?

Back Side Markers = Always Dim (Red) or Turn Signal ? (Red)

As for the back Tail Lights the stock mounting setup allows for 4 LED to be installed and I have it setup like this.

Order from the top =
#1 Light is Amber Turn light
#2 Clear White BackUp light
#3 & #4 are Dim Red Tail lights and Brake Lights when I brake, they go back to Dim in reverse.
RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Led Light kit (0 min 33 sec)
Last edited by freechip; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:15 AM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Been following since first post.
Front light always on. Brake lights always on. I don't have anything else on my rig.
I am Australian though, says it in my thingie box to the left.
Good job, I'm watching son.
Pete
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Motor ESC combo

Well it was supposed to be released mid Jan. but that's come and gone. It now looks like mid March according to my LHS. Sounds like this time this will be it since Castle Creations have released a CC Link update which includes my ESC of choice for this build.

Castle Creations Sidewinder 3, I believe for this build and what I want to do with it this will be a perfect choice. This is a brushless ESC but like other brand esc this one is also capable of running brushed motors. The Sidewinder3 also is good for crawling since it offers Crawler Reversing which means no brake action but I will be using brakes and it also has DRAG brakes that I will be using to minimize the truck from rolling down hills when scale crawling.

The motors is installed, wired and ready to go. I hooked it up this weekend to another esc from another rc just to try it out and the speed in 2nd gear is just enough for this build, 1st gear (slow) is slow BUT very powerful.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
Well according to LHS esc should be release next week. Here's hoping I can move along with this build. I didn't want to get into painting without having a rolling chassis.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,313 Posts
ESC Finally Arrives

Well after 2 months of delay it's finally here.

It's a brushless ESC but capable of running brushed motors so it leaves the possibility of running BL in the future.

Lots of programming features and it's factory waterproofing made the Sidewinder3 my choice of esc for this build.