HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,009 Posts
Each to his own but having a little laugh at clueless newbies is just human nature, especially laughing at the ones who avoid or ignore help when it's available. It's not like anyone gets hurt, it's only toy airplanes we are talking about.

Maybe I'm just twisted but I don't think it's only me. Most comedians and all hidden camera / video out-take TV shows would be out of business if it were different I'll laugh at myself if I do something stupid so I reserve the right to treat others in the same way. That's not to say we shouldn't try to help, a little chuckle and helping are not mutually exclusive.

I'm afraid those with a sense of humour bypass or who take life too seriously will just have to live with it.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Laugh first, ask questions later! Especially if you have offered assistance prior to the mistake.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Each to his own but having a little laugh at clueless newbies is just human nature, especially laughing at the ones who avoid or ignore help when it's available. It's not like anyone gets hurt, it's only toy airplanes we are talking about.

Maybe I'm just twisted but I don't think it's only me. Most comedians and all hidden camera / video out-take TV shows would be out of business if it were different I'll laugh at myself if I do something stupid so I reserve the right to treat others in the same way. That's not to say we shouldn't try to help, a little chuckle and helping are not mutually exclusive.

I'm afraid those with a sense of humour bypass or who take life too seriously will just have to live with it.
I agree with you, those that just ignore the help offered are the ones that are really laugh worthy. I guess cause we were there and know what the outcome will be.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,489 Posts
I think my approach, of offering help and having it refused, then discretely laughing at clueless newbies from a distance, while hoping they come back, is more nuanced.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:30 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Pride and ego are two very powerful emotions unfortunately.

-Mike
What's the saying? "Pride goeth before a crash"?
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,280 Posts
About a year ago. I too was a victim of a hobbyshop sales clerk. Eager to get into RC after messing around with some Guillows kits. A PZ Micro Corsair RTF caught my eye. I wonderfull first RC aircraft! Knowing I had no flying experience the hobbyshop clerk asked me to bring it down of the shelf when I asked how much it was. He had me as soon as I laid eyes on that beautiful Corsair in the box. $119.00 (I think) out the door.

We crashed it in about 5 seconds. Back to the hobbyshop for some foam safe CA, Flew it another 10 seconds or so. This went on for about a week. I did finally get a couple good flights in, but it eventually got too heavy from repairs and I had to hang it up.

Now. Am I a victum. Or just a fool who didn't do any research? Either way. I wasn't discouraged and now belong to a local club and have about 10 planes in my fleet. 5 of them ready to go.

If the weather would just clear up.

Happy New Year!
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Last edited by cwolfe; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
I too was a victim of a hobbyshop sales clerk. Eager to get into RC after messing around with some Guillows kits. A PZ Micro Corsair RTF caught my eye. I wonderfull first RC aircraft! Knowing I had no flying experience the hobbyshop clerk asked me to bring it down of the shelf when I asked how much it was. He had me as soon as I laid eyes on that beautiful Corsair in the box. $119.00 (I think) out the door.

We crashed it in about 5 seconds. Back to the hobbyshop for some foam safe CA, Flew it another 10 seconds or so. This went on for about a week. I did finally get a couple good flights in, but it eventually got too heavy from repairs and I had to hang it up.

Now. Am I a victum. Or just a fool who didn't do any research? Either way. I wasn't discouraged and now belong to a local club and have about 10 planes in my fleet. 5 of them ready to go.

If the weather would just clear up.

Happy New Year!
Replacement parts can be had for those PZ UM's. I replaced the fuse on my UM Mustang, I bought the Mustang used. New fuse was $12.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Replacement parts can be had for those PZ UM's. I replaced the fuse on my UM Mustang, I bought the Mustang used. New fuse was $12.
True, but this was roughly a year ago. I fly larger electrics now.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hell-Flyer
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
True, but this was roughly a year ago. I fly larger electrics now.
That's about the road I went. Except I was a better pilot. JK JK I cheated and started on a Champ. Clerk was really selling it and I took the bait. Hmph.

~B

Pretty good little plane actually until my old man crashed it into a tree. It survived with minor damage. > He was used to the ones you put on a string and went around in circles.
BlackNightBravo is offline Find More Posts by BlackNightBravo
Last edited by BlackNightBravo; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
I first started flying about 30 years ago when I saw some sail planes in the air and being amazed. I started with the gentle lady with success. So I next wanted a plane with a motor. I knew I needed help with it so I asked for help. We did the preflight and the trainer took it up and in about 30 sec. went straight down and tottled the plane. Well I thought maybe I did something wrong with the build so I did it again with another trainer. That was lasted about 2 min and I still never got to fly I quit.
Now I find electrics and am giving it a go. I live in an area where there is no one with in 100 miles of me flying. I purchased a Super cub Lp. Hope to take it out soon to fly when it is warm. Wish me luck.
dheaton is offline Find More Posts by dheaton
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Good luck dheaton.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:05 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
The HZ Super Cub should serve you well.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Well yes, but this needs to be done with caution.

First they may not be clueless noobs. I know there are signs so you can usually tell a noob long before he tries to fly, but it's kind of rude to assume everyone else who turns up at a field with a new looking model is clueless by default.

Next with good intentions you go steaming in uninvited giving advice, making adjustments to the plane, then actually offer to fly the plane. Lets say the worse happens (and it can to the best of us, a servo packs up, a radio failure, whatever) then I for one would feel obliged to pay for the damage. Different thing if they ask you to help and ask you to fly the plane for them.

I guess there is a fine line to tread.
This is the reason I don't offer to fly the plane for them, rather suggest ways they can fly while not risking serious plane injury. A few hand launches without power to check glide and trim. Then a short powered launch of a few seconds throttle, cut throttle and fly it straight and level till it comes down. Then go for the full tamale after that. A father and son team followed that for their new SC and the SC only suffered a cracked cowl that day. They logged 4 full flights on it before they were done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:03 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,034 Posts
The foamy RC Xmas present is really the wrong way to get into the hobby!
I think that we lose tons of future AMA members because of this RC junk.

I think that it's much better for AMA clubs to promote the sport to friends, and bring them in flying a trimmed trainer with a buddy wire, than try to let the online stores sell junk to people who don't know whether or not it will fly.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141