Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
What would you do?
I always go and help. Usually the aircraft is so poorly trimmed that they have no chance of keeping it in the air, so I show them how to align the control surfaces, and also mention the importance of CG. I'll give a couple of flying tips, like taking off into the breeze, and not pulling up too hard and stalling. If it is a reputable plane that I know will fly, then I'll also offer to do a maiden trim for them. Then at least there is a chance that they will be successful, although I suspect that they will destroy the plane that day anyway. At least they get to see it fly before they wreck it.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Pride and ego are two very powerful emotions unfortunately.

-Mike
Yep, and I am not free from either.

I think the best thing to do is keep it fun....even if they crash. We were laughing, but we were trying not to let them know. It was funny, but we hope they come back this spring.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I always go and help. Usually the aircraft is so poorly trimmed that they have no chance of keeping it in the air, so I show them how to align the control surfaces, and also mention the importance of CG. I'll give a couple of flying tips, like taking off into the breeze, and not pulling up too hard and stalling. If it is a reputable plane that I know will fly, then I'll also offer to do a maiden trim for them. Then at least there is a chance that they will be successful, although I suspect that they will destroy the plane that day anyway. At least they get to see it fly before they wreck it.
Well yes, but this needs to be done with caution.

First they may not be clueless noobs. I know there are signs so you can usually tell a noob long before he tries to fly, but it's kind of rude to assume everyone else who turns up at a field with a new looking model is clueless by default.

Next with good intentions you go steaming in uninvited giving advice, making adjustments to the plane, then actually offer to fly the plane. Lets say the worse happens (and it can to the best of us, a servo packs up, a radio failure, whatever) then I for one would feel obliged to pay for the damage. Different thing if they ask you to help and ask you to fly the plane for them.

I guess there is a fine line to tread.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Well yes, but this needs to be done with caution.
Oh sure. I will ask first, and only offer help if it is needed and wanted. If they are geniune first timer noobies though, you know the plane will be wrecked in the first 10 seconds, so I have trouble standing by and watching that happen.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
When I decided to start a few months ago I already had some idea about the size and scale of the models. I had been interested in them as a kid but simply didn't have the money to pursue the hobby. This drove me to search out a place to fly models near me. I happened upon the website of our local club. I called one of the instructors on the list who just at happens lives just a mile down the road from me. I had already picked out a trainer from nitroplanes (sky trainer) so I met with the club and joined. I spent my first 10 hours or so on buddy box and passed my check flight about a month later. I am so grateful to my instructors. Without them I have no doubt that I wouldn't still be flying my first model.

My buddy decided to join the hobby with me and picked out a Bixler as his first plane. He didn't believe me when I told him he couldn't fly it in his 1/2 acre back yard. He ended up getting his plane first. But he didn't want to join the club so he decided to take his Bixler out to a local park. What follows in the video is pretty much what you would expect... -_- we had the ailerons backwards -_-

RC Plane Maiden Voyage Video - 9.8.2012 (1 min 0 sec)
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
What follows in the video is pretty much what you would expect... -_- we had the ailerons backwards -_-
But I bet you all had a barrel laughs!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:34 AM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
That smile at the end of the video was pricless. Iv'e spent thousands of dollars to get a smile like that before!!
Wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:23 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,128 Posts
Quote:
.....we had the ailerons backwards -_-
I guess launching with the ailerons reversed once can be forgiven, but three times

Seriously though, he should be doing a pre flight check before EVERY flight to make sure everything is moving and moving in the right direction. If he doesnt know how ailerons work and which way they should move then he should go read up on a little basic aerodynamics before he even took the plane to the field. It's hard to make a plane fly if you don't have a clue how it works
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
He probably didn't know what he needed to learn.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:35 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
I guess launching with the ailerons reversed once can be forgiven, but three times

Seriously though, he should be doing a pre flight check before EVERY flight to make sure everything is moving and moving in the right direction. If he doesnt know how ailerons work and which way they should move then he should go read up on a little basic aerodynamics before he even took the plane to the field. It's hard to make a plane fly if you don't have a clue how it works
It did fly... just not in the direction we expected.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:18 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
He probably didn't know what he needed to learn.
I guess that's the root of the problem. But launching it (at least) three times without finding out what caused the previous crash

There is a famous quote by Albert Einstein on the definition of insanity:
Quote:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Sorry, I know I'm being harsh. I've been there myself, enthusiasm and impatience often overrule basic common sense in these situations, the trick is realising that and not letting it happen.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:19 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,128 Posts
Quote:
It did fly... just not in the direction we expected.
Or for as long as desired
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
1st time, "Well let's see what happens."
2nd time, "Ok, let's try this."
3rd time, "Third time's the charm"
"HUH, maybe something is wrong with it? Maybe I should try to figure out what it could be!"

SNAFU.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
1st time, "Well let's see what happens."
2nd time, "Ok, let's try this."
3rd time, "Third time's the charm"
"HUH, maybe something is wrong with it? Maybe I should try to figure out what it could be!"

SNAFU.
By which time it's usually totally destroyed
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
wow I sold plenty of planes before christmas, as I work at hobbytown...but I made sure it was the RIGHT plane for the person...usually a champ, super cub, or ares gamma for most of the beginners, or a bnf micro or something for the few who said they or the ones they were buying for have flown before. That's just not right to do that, you basically just wasted that persons time, money, and any chance of a return customer or another person in the hobby..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz393 View Post
Why doesn't anyone want to go and offer their help/advice/expertise to a new flyer? If it's not accepted then fair do's, but to say that they weren't asked so they didn't bother is not right. If I was that dad I perhaps might also be embarrassed to ask someone who looks like they know what they were doing, and therefore seem to not want help.
We had a new young lad turn up at our field with his father, and seeing as there was only me and one other pilot who was at that time flying, the chap came and spoke to me in the pits. I then spent the rest of the afternoon (and my flying time) explaining what was what. I did not give two thoughts to wanting to leave them and fly my planes, as I believed that I was possibly encouraging another person into this exciting hobby. Funnily enough, he is now a member, having passed his A cert very quickly, and is a very good pilot (too much Xbox no doubt).
What I'm saying is, don't ignore someone who appears to be struggling, go and offer a helping hand or words of advice. If it's not taken, then that is their choice/downfall, at least you can walk away knowing that you have offered! Besides, it is the season of good will!
I agree with you twoo 100%. The tone of this thread; laughing at clueless newbies, is VERY pathetic.

We all were those clueless newbies, at one point-- at least I know I was. It AMAZING when I finally discoved someone that could assist me.

I now 'attempt' to assist any newbie that will allow me to help.
Konamack is offline Find More Posts by Konamack