HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
These stories reminded me of when I was a noob flying and crashing on my own, took my model to Mile Square park and attempted to fly at the far end of the field far away from the club guys. A couple of guys came over and chastized me for potentially interfering and crashing their models. I had no concept of interference at that distance and apologized. That was in the late 50's. I saw the same thing 2 days ago, father and son about a 1/2 mile away form Fairview Park flying field, trying to fly a Christmas plane but they were probably on 2.4GHz.

People flying away from the main group may be shy not wanting to show their "noobishness' in front of some "expert' fliers. It is a good thing to come over, try to assess their experience level, and casually offer to do a flight readiness review and help them fly their prized foamie. If it's a warbird or EDF jet, try to remember your early desires, and advise them what to do before attempting to fly it. If you feel fully qualified to offer to fly a model for a noob, advise them that maiden "trim" flights can be tricky that you will not be responsible to repair or replace the model if it crashes. Do the following checks before attempting to fly their model.

1. Ask if transmitter battery and flight battery have been fully charged, when it was done, and whether they were charged exactly per the directions that came with the model or RC system.
2. Look at model from the rear, check for any warps in wings or tail surfaces. make sure that control surfaces are centered
3. Check for proper CG per instructions, with battery pack secured in battery compartment. If tail-heaviness is suspected, adjust battery placement until model balances slightly nose down at the CG point. If model remains tail-heavy or nose-heavy, do not fly.
4. Check propeller for secure tightening of collet adapter. Check wheels and landing gear for secure mouniing.
5.Demonstrate turning on transmitter first, then connecting the motor battery and explain why.
6. Check all controls for correct direction of movement, check motor for proper start and go to full throttle checking for steady full power.
7.Do a proper range check with and without motor running.
8. Alert other fliers that you are going to do a maiden flight attempt for a beginner. Ask them to stay down until you land. Explain to noob that flyers must call out loudly their intentions to take off, direction of take off , intention to land and direction. Emphasize that mid-air collisions are to be avoided and need for situational awareness.
9. Tell beginner what control inputs you will do during take-off , adjusting elevator and ailerons at 1/2 throttle for level flight, testing control responses, landing and post landing shut down procedures.
10. If all goes well, and there is another fully charged motor battery at the ready. take off, go to level flight and let noob try controls with small gentle movements. Best to do this with a buddy box if available. Warn him to let go of sticks immediately when it starts to go out of control so you can right it.

Hopefully the above will impress the father and son that flying a model is not all that intuitive or simple and that they will need to learn and practice number of things about pre-flight, take-offs, landings and post flight damage checks and shut down procedures as well as battery maintenance. Encourage them to join your group and get AMA coverage and any permit that is required at your flying site.Explain what AMA is, membership dues for youngsters vs adults, insurance, compliance with AMA safety rules, etc. Explain how to find out more about AMA and how to join.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:19 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
i think its fine, as long as they don't pose a dangerous to people or their property they are doing no wrong. Its nice to see younger people like myself getting into the hobby rather than being one of those people who laugh at you and call you a nerd when your on the computer on this forum
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
I was in my LHS just before Christmas. There was a couple of ladies trying to figure out a plane to get one of their husbands. They were asking what would be a good starter plane and what is the difference between balsa/foam. The sales associate sells them the new Eflite Albatros ARF. The new one. The Balsa one. $300.00 smackers. There's a sucker born every minute. I was one too.
Well get this, I was at a HobbyTownUSA (not naming any locations) and I was kinda browsing through the airplanes and such, I was there for parts for the plane I was building. And as I was perusing, I heard this guy asking one of the employees what kind of plane he should get, and that he wanted a faster one (obviously he was new to the hobby) and that he had flown a heli before. The employee failed to ask him about his experience, then proceeded to show him to the STRYKER, the full sized one. I waited for the employee to go off somewhere else and then make my was over to the guy who is now holding the stryker box looking over the box, and I couldn't help but tell him that the stryker probably was not the plane for him, and that he needed to get a trainer before a fast plane like that. I then asked him about his experience with airplanes, and he had none, only with helis, which he later admitted to that heli being out of commission due to him crashing in on one of his first few flights.. I just couldn't believe that the employee would recommend a plane like that to a beginner.
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
Many of the LHS sales people are not experienced modelers/fliers .Some have no concept of what it takes to fly an RC plane safely including high performance EDF's, wings, or warbirds.
It's unfortunate that total beginners, with gift money burning a hole in their pocket, assume that hobby shop folks are qualified to give advice. When a noob orders a whiz bang model online, he gets no advice.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:05 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,609 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Since we are sharing Noob Stories of ourselves I will Share mine.
I was lucky to have a dad that was a long time modeler. He started me in Control line and soon later Radio Control. I didn't have to go through the trouble of seeking help from Club members because of my dad. Im 43 yr myself and its nice to see younger generation getting into this hobby with RTF airplanes. With a good sim and the right airplane they can be self tought. It all starts with the Hobby Shop guy behind the counter sitting them up right with the correct equipment. Not focusing on the sale but focusing making a sucessful pilot. The airplanes i recently saw at the park was way to advance for the noob. I would have stopped and help but I was on my way to work. Now i feel bad for not stopping and helping for atleast a few minutes.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Last edited by azflyingguy; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
im really fortunate my local hobby store is the Uk's best, Avicraft. Google them
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Not taking anything away from the good Samaritans that helped you, but 'back in the day' even the most unhelpful among us were totally obliged to go talk to any other flyers in visual range because they needed to check what frequency others were flying to avoid being 'shot down'.

If nothing else that necessity to check frequency was in ice-breaker. Different ball game these days of 2.4GHz. If someone wants to stand at the other end of the field and do his own thing then it is perfectly possible to leave him to it. And you don't know for sure he doesn't have a clue what he's doing until he crashes, which is a bit late to offer help.
Hey now,
jPF you're assuming something here. We weren't flying r/c models. We were flying ukies. Those folks had no need to come over.
RobII
elfwreck is online now Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Well get this, I was at a HobbyTownUSA (not naming any locations) and I was kinda browsing through the airplanes and such, I was there for parts for the plane I was building. And as I was perusing, I heard this guy asking one of the employees what kind of plane he should get, and that he wanted a faster one (obviously he was new to the hobby) and that he had flown a heli before. The employee failed to ask him about his experience, then proceeded to show him to the STRYKER, the full sized one. I waited for the employee to go off somewhere else and then make my was over to the guy who is now holding the stryker box looking over the box, and I couldn't help but tell him that the stryker probably was not the plane for him, and that he needed to get a trainer before a fast plane like that. I then asked him about his experience with airplanes, and he had none, only with helis, which he later admitted to that heli being out of commission due to him crashing in on one of his first few flights.. I just couldn't believe that the employee would recommend a plane like that to a beginner.
I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't think of the Stryker as a trainer.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
After 30 years out of the hobby, I went to the LHS to find me a RTF plane to start back flying with. After a while looking at all the models I picked the Hanger9 PTS 60" P-51 with the Evolution motor. Later on I got the ARF and a beginner probably could fly it @ a club! First of all, who doesn't like a P-51? The box said it was a good beginner plane, so... as I reached up to pull it out a guy who had been looking himself asked me how long I had been flying and I told him I was just gonna give it another go after 30 years. He asked if I was in a club and I told him no, and that I would be teaching myself out in my front 40. He told me the beautiful plane I wanted would be a mound of toothpicks as soon as I, if I, got it up. He told me to buy the "ugly" HZ Super Cub RTF trainer. It had a ni-cad battery and brushed motor and a FM TX. At that point I didn't know what a lipo, brushless motor or 2.4 ghz was!! And what the hell is an outrunner? I did know FM and a fuel engine though... That guy saved my and probably kept me in the hobby. Had I demolished the Mustang that would have been the end of that! Thank's, guy!! Dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:47 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,532 Posts
These newbies don't last long. Last summer I watched this guy 1) attempt to fly a parkzone Radian glider. Destroyed in 25 seconds. 2) A parkzone Icon A5, destroyed that one quicker, maybe 15 seconds. He now sticks to his little UM T-28 and a 3 channel multiplex glider.

Unbelievable he wanted to get a 3DHS 41" Edge like the one I was flying!!!
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
These newbies don't last long. Last summer I watched this guy 1) attempt to fly a parkzone Radian glider. Destroyed in 25 seconds. 2) A parkzone Icon A5, destroyed that one quicker, maybe 15 seconds. He now sticks to his little UM T-28 and a 3 channel multiplex glider.

If he can fly an easystar, I wonder what happened with the Radian?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post

he can fly a um t-28 but not a radian? weird.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yep, they pop up at the sports fields where I fly sometimes, usually a dad and his son. They head to the opposite end of the field and the dad proceeds to destroy his sons Christmas/birthday present with a series of increasingly desperate dorked hand launches. The thought process (if there is one) seems to be 'if it didn't fly last time throw it harder and higher!'

Once the plane is thoroughly destroyed they trudge away never to be seen again.

In the days before 2.4GHz I'd have gone over and checked what frequency they were on, but these days I just leave them to it. I do feel guilty for not offering to lend a hand but I figure if they wanted help they would come over and ask for it, I don't like to stick my nose in uninvited....

What would you do?
that was my son and I in July 2011...except I didn't crash, and neither did my son (he just now retired his first plane, which seems to have a bad gear or ESC)...

well of course I crashed eventually, it took 3 days though, and I got it on video.

recently a couple of guys...a man and his adult son....showed up at the field...I tried to offer help, but they weren't having it. So my son and I just watched and laughed our ***** off from the car. It was hilarious. Most especially because they viewed themselves as knowledgeable, but obviously didn't know much. I just wish, in hindsight, that we had been filming it...if they stick it out, they will probably someday laugh at their attempts to taxi (with misaligned rudder/nosewheel) and fly....3 flights and 3 crashes....5 foot flight, 25 foot flight, and then the 150 foot flight.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,352 Posts
PS nothing wrong with buying a UmX T 28 as your first plane...my son did so....that is the plane I just mentioned with the bad gear or ESC. He was flying and landing with minimum instruction, using a dx4e at first, and no buddy box or simulator time....though I do recommend a simulator.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,581 Posts
Pride and ego are two very powerful emotions unfortunately.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295