HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
I was in my LHS just before Christmas. There was a couple of ladies trying to figure out a plane to get one of their husbands. They were asking what would be a good starter plane and what is the difference between balsa/foam. The sales associate sells them the new Eflite Albatros ARF. The new one. The Balsa one. $300.00 smackers. There's a sucker born every minute. I was one too.
wow I sold plenty of planes before christmas, as I work at hobbytown...but I made sure it was the RIGHT plane for the person...usually a champ, super cub, or ares gamma for most of the beginners, or a bnf micro or something for the few who said they or the ones they were buying for have flown before. That's just not right to do that, you basically just wasted that persons time, money, and any chance of a return customer or another person in the hobby..
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
wow I sold plenty of planes before christmas, as I work at hobbytown...but I made sure it was the RIGHT plane for the person...usually a champ, super cub, or ares gamma for most of the beginners, or a bnf micro or something for the few who said they or the ones they were buying for have flown before. That's just not right to do that, you basically just wasted that persons time, money, and any chance of a return customer or another person in the hobby..
I agree. I nearly said something, but figured it wasn't my place to.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Why doesn't anyone want to go and offer their help/advice/expertise to a new flyer? If it's not accepted then fair do's, but to say that they weren't asked so they didn't bother is not right. If I was that dad I perhaps might also be embarrassed to ask someone who looks like they know what they were doing, and therefore seem to not want help.
We had a new young lad turn up at our field with his father, and seeing as there was only me and one other pilot who was at that time flying, the chap came and spoke to me in the pits. I then spent the rest of the afternoon (and my flying time) explaining what was what. I did not give two thoughts to wanting to leave them and fly my planes, as I believed that I was possibly encouraging another person into this exciting hobby. Funnily enough, he is now a member, having passed his A cert very quickly, and is a very good pilot (too much Xbox no doubt).
What I'm saying is, don't ignore someone who appears to be struggling, go and offer a helping hand or words of advice. If it's not taken, then that is their choice/downfall, at least you can walk away knowing that you have offered! Besides, it is the season of good will!
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz393 View Post
Why doesn't anyone want to go and offer their help/advice/expertise to a new flyer? If it's not accepted then fair do's, but to say that they weren't asked so they didn't bother is not right. If I was that dad I perhaps might also be embarrassed to ask someone who looks like they know what they were doing, and therefore seem to not want help.
We had a new young lad turn up at our field with his father, and seeing as there was only me and one other pilot who was at that time flying, the chap came and spoke to me in the pits. I then spent the rest of the afternoon (and my flying time) explaining what was what. I did not give two thoughts to wanting to leave them and fly my planes, as I believed that I was possibly encouraging another person into this exciting hobby. Funnily enough, he is now a member, having passed his A cert very quickly, and is a very good pilot (too much Xbox no doubt).
What I'm saying is, don't ignore someone who appears to be struggling, go and offer a helping hand or words of advice. If it's not taken, then that is their choice/downfall, at least you can walk away knowing that you have offered! Besides, it is the season of good will!
I just didn't think it was my place to interfere with a sale. Right in front of the sales person.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Good man !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Honestly it all makes me laugh.

Once I was looking at an ARF 3D foamy amazon and it had all 1 star ratings because "I bought it for by husband to play with and it didn't come with the remote controller"

I saw a vid of a guy who bought an apprentice with no backround expirence. He crashed it, and threw it away, motor, ESC, servos, lipo, receiver and all. They were all working fine
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
I was in my LHS just before Christmas. There was a couple of ladies trying to figure out a plane to get one of their husbands. They were asking what would be a good starter plane and what is the difference between balsa/foam. The sales associate sells them the new Eflite Albatros ARF. The new one. The Balsa one. $300.00 smackers. There's a sucker born every minute. I was one too.
Somewhat unrelated, but anyway.

A few months ago I was in the LHS and some guy was asking about rc helis. Sometime in the conversation, his wife complained the employee "He's always trying to get these to fly, but he loses them!" to which the husband replied "Those were rockets."

gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
I saw a vid of a guy who bought an apprentice with no backround expirence. He crashed it, and threw it away, motor, ESC, servos, lipo, receiver and all. They were all working fine
Now that is truly awful!
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,281 Posts
I dated like that 60 years ago.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,178 Posts
Quote:
Why doesn't anyone want to go and offer their help/advice/expertise to a new flyer?
I guess this was directed at me and I do feel a bit guilty for not helping..

But the circumstances were a lot different to a situation where someone approaches you and asks for help, as was the case you mentioned. I'm sure we would all help in those circumstances. In fact the guy that I fly with did just that a year ago and I've since taught him to fly and rebuilt his plane a couple of times.

On the other hand someone deliberately walks to the opposite end of the (large) field that I fly on then I figure he wants to do it himself, which is his choice. Seemed to me that he didn't want some know-it-all sticking his nose in. And I didn't know for sure thet he didn't have a clue until he's already crashed anyway.....
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,281 Posts
All of us have a different comfort level to approach someone doing a HIGHLY STRESSFULL flight.

The most I EVER do is walk over carrying my plane & say hello.............. The response I get tells me everything I need to feel I offered.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Quote:
I just didn't think it was my place to interfere with a sale. Right in front of the sales person.
I totally agree with that, but then again I'd like to think that a reputable hobby shop wouldn't sell an expensive craft to a first time buyer/flyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Good man !
That's just me, I cannot stand to see people struggle with anything, as I know I get frustrated when I'm struggling and people just standby and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I guess this was directed at me and I do feel a bit guilty for not helping..

But the circumstances were a lot different to a situation where someone approaches you and asks for help, as was the case you mentioned. I'm sure we would all help in those circumstances. In fact the guy that I fly with did just that a year ago and I've since taught him to fly and rebuilt his plane a couple of times.

On the other hand someone deliberately walks to the opposite end of the (large) field that I fly on then I figure he wants to do it himself, which is his choice. Seemed to me that he didn't want some know-it-all sticking his nose in. And I didn't know for sure thet he didn't have a clue until he's already crashed anyway.....
JPF, it wasn't a direct jibe at you and your particular story, just the general position that a lot of first timers find themselves in during many situations whilst others watch. Again, that's just me, I'll always offer the help but if it's rejected then let them get on with it, so I do agree with you in part regarding the fact that he was at the other end of your large flying field and this probably did show that he was wishing to self teach but at least I know that I have offered.
A few months back the wife and I were looking for a space in a multi storey car park when I saw an elderly lady trying to swap a wheel over due to a flat. She was in clear view but everyone that was before me just ignored her and drove past. She was about 60-70 years old and was clearly struggling, so I offered to help her. She accepted, I got dirty hands and jeans, and when done she asked for our address and I received a homemade chocolate cake hand delivered a couple of days later! The way I see it is that this could of been my own mother, and I wouldn't want to think that she was stranded with very capable people just ignoring her obvious plight.
So please don't feel that this was purely directed at you, it wasn't, I'd just like for people to offer help once in a while. We'd all be a friendly bunch that way. Oh, and a stranger is a friend that you haven't yet met!
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Somewhat unrelated, but anyway.

A few months ago I was in the LHS and some guy was asking about rc helis. Sometime in the conversation, his wife complained the employee "He's always trying to get these to fly, but he loses them!" to which the husband replied "Those were rockets."

"those were rockets"
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:34 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,353 Posts
Hey now,
I remember all those years ago when I was the kid coming to the park with my dad to learn to fly. I remember those strangers coming across the park to see if we wanted help too. They taught us what we needed to know and they became good friends over the years. When we asked them how we could pay them back for all their help they replied that we should help the next beginners we met. I still do that close to fifty years later.pay it forwards. That's how it works.

Oh, and the reason we walked all the way to the other side of the park? We didn't want to bother or get in the way of those experienced pilots we saw.
Every time I see some noon I remember how glad we were when those folks offered...
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Get a Crack Yak or something similar. When you see people at the other end of the field, get it out and fly one battery through it. Very soon they will come to you, and they will either offer advice, ask for help, or tell you that they have always wanted to fly. Easy!
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169