SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:33 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Data
Park Zone T-28D Airforce Repair Log!

Hi guys!

Several days ago my beloved Park Zone T-28D Airforce crashed due to the rush to fly itch and well you can see for yourselves the results:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788300

Now, fast forward we have a very successful repair results and a few items to note that the Nose Wheel Steering arm had to be replaced, the motor mount, Motor, ESC and of course the Receiver. My personal taste was to go back to the solid and less sophisticated yet very solid 72-Mhz Castle Creations BERG 4-Channel DSP receiver. The only thing that did not need to be replaced was the 3-Blade Master Airscrew 10 X 7 X 3 propeller!

EDIT: (Sorry for forgetting what kind of Glue I used!)
In the past, I have used WHITE GLUE (The stuff used at schools) such as Elmer's Glue, as it cures without leaving any residue and the bond is very strong, however, due to the long cure time you need to secure the two items together for a long time. Since the FUSE was slightly deformed up front that required some strong forming, I used the CA.

Using most exclusively CA and Accelerator such as:

A few pictures of the progress!!

Old Nose Wheel Steering Arm:

New Nose Wheel Steering Arm:

New Power System & Receiver:

FUSE Repairs:

Receiver Mounting:

ESC Mounting:

Motor Mount (Old on Left & New on Right!):

Motor Mounting:

Painting and other Touch Ups:

Heading to the Flying Field (Smooth Concrete) for re-maiden!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jan 10, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
gj on the rebuild! It might be just an optical illusion but the T-28D wing doesn't seem to have as much dihedral as my Navy T-28. If so that would make the plane a lot more responsive but possibly less self-righting. Have you noticed any of that?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
1Pilgrim,

Thanks for the Good Job post. I took my time and every repair issue I thought it out carefully and it paid off.

I believe it is the angle of the photo shoot as I believe the same Dihedral exists with the now discontinued Park Zone T-28D AirForce.

Got some under Belly Video footage of my re-maiden!!! Stay tuned!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
1Pilgrim,

Thanks for the Good Job post. I took my time and every repair issue I thought it out carefully and it paid off.

I believe it is the angle of the photo shoot as I believe the same Dihedral exists with the now discontinued Park Zone T-28D AirForce.

Got some under Belly Video footage of my re-maiden!!! Stay tuned!!!
I plan to hang my #16 cam under the belly of my plane come spring - my son thinks it can go in front of one of the main wheels. We still can't figure out how your camera is mounted so the nose wheel is centered in the frame. Could you post a pic of the camera on your plane?

Sometimes I hang my camera on a mount under my SR 120 heli. There's enough space for a patch of Velcro behind the camera buttons so it doesn't have to be upside down in flight.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Sure, I will post, however, I need to step away for a few minutes to buy the Mellinnium Master by Fly Zone as they are FLYING OFF THE SHELVES and my buddy is holding one for me. It is the RTF for $89.99 including a Free AnyLink!

Here is the Video from my rebuilt Airforce Trojan! Need to secure the camera a little bit more. It was mounted at the end of the Tail Boom under Belly so, there was hardly any surface there!

Enjoy!
Park Zone T-28D Airforce Trojan with 808 Key Chain Camera on Belly 12-28-2012 (5 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Here is the Video from my rebuilt Airforce Trojan! Need to secure the camera a little bit more. It was mounted at the end of the Tail Boom under Belly so, there was hardly any surface there!
N-i-i-i-ce! My heli vids have a lot worse Jello - what do you use to stabilize your vids?

Never mind - I'll head back over to the T-28 thread.
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,617 Posts
Very nice job on the rebuild Carlos!

Glad to see you have her back in the air....and I really did "LOL" when I read that the MAS propeller survived ! And to think, it is THE point of impact....those things are tough!

Again, great work on the repairs; you can hardly tell the model was in pieces before you started !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
N-i-i-i-ce! My heli vids have a lot worse Jello - what do you use to stabilize your vids?

Never mind - I'll head back over to the T-28 thread.
I use industrial Velcro and nothing else. It is my experience that if you secure the camera such that it does not move where it is attached then, the wave action on the Video Footage will be reduced.

Here is how I have been attaching my 808 Key Chain Video Camera! I need to figure out a better method.

for the Airforce Trojan....

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Very nice job on the rebuild Carlos!

Glad to see you have her back in the air....and I really did "LOL" when I read that the MAS propeller survived ! And to think, it is THE point of impact....those things are tough!

Again, great work on the repairs; you can hardly tell the model was in pieces before you started !
Thanks! Yes, those Master Airscrew Propellers will be the last item that will break. I know, the very first crash with the Airforce Trojan due to a Flashing RED / Orange Light on the AR500 Receiver made the model dive like a home sick dove while it was about 80 feet right after take-off. I was able to regain control (Self Bind Feature "or" it got back in range) and the model's nose finally came level but, it slammed (Pancake Style) and the motor started and came right into my leg! I had a Bruised Leg for months!!!

Now you know why I am Back to 72-Mhz!! I have had just too many issues with the Spektrum stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,617 Posts
I'm with you Brother,

I've heard waaaaay to many horror stories about Spektrum so I stay far, far away from it in case the cooties jump off at me ! I personally (and I'm sure it's quite amusing to some) like and have used Tactic systems with great success; success to the point of flying them very, very far out and not losing link. I also like the TTX 600 as it has the ability to "dial-in" the flaps --- a very cool feature. I also don't mind having different systems for each model, so each model gets its very Tactic system and they're even labelled on the back of the TX ! That's the way we used to do it in the old days...

Anyway, enough about my radios, your T-28D looks fantastic, it flys once again like a Phoenix, and continues to bring you great joy! All in all a great story !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Post Re-Maiden Pictures of my Airforce Trojan!!

A few Pictures of my Park Zone T-28D Airforce Trojan, Post Re-Maiden Flight!

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:01 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
517 Posts
Hi there.
Just for our future reference: could you please post up some info on how you repaired the T28.
eg what glues you used, did you use any hot water to reshape it, any new parts made or extra stiffened added ??

cheers
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:32 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi there.
Just for our future reference: could you please post up some info on how you repaired the T28.
eg what glues you used, did you use any hot water to reshape it, any new parts made or extra stiffened added ??

cheers
So sorry! Thanks for the catch!!

In the past, I have used WHITE GLUE (The stuff used at schools) such as Elmer's Glue, as it cures without leaving any residue and the bond is very strong, however, due to the long cure time you need to secure the two items together for a long time. Since the FUSE was slightly deformed up front that required some strong forming, I used the CA.

Using most exclusively CA and Accelerator such as:

RCG Plus Member