SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
This one appeals to me immensely. Lots of shapes, not many straight or parallel lines, round engine, and - - - on the plans - - - r/c conversion modifications (one piece wing, dihedral braces, empennage).

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet. Be good company for the Mam'selle.

Other posts hereabouts mention that this model was originally kitted/advertised in 1950-1951. Safely before the cutoff date.
Er - Peter, problem is that this Ladybird (as opposed to the Aeromodeller plans of biplanes called the Ladybird - rubber - and Ladybird Special - power) was never a published PLAN, only a Keil Kraft KIT. This would have been fine for last years Britkit build off, but unfortunately doesn't qualify for this one. I hope you can find another design that appeals as a second entry.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:42 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalpoe View Post
I've been watching this thread and the builds with great interest and so I'd like to join in with a build of the Simplex by Dick Stouffer as published in May of 1964 in Aero Moddler. As I'm not a fast builder and am making a late start this simple model shouldn't be a problem to get completed and flown before the end of June.

Mark

Hi Mark

As you say the all sheet Simplex should be a quick build, what are you planning, electric or IC? (Edit: Ah, just seen your build log which has answered that question!)

I've added your entry to the list and posted a link to your build thread.

Enjoy!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
prestwick pioneer

Okay, seeing as a KK Ladybird doesn't qualify, perhaps Burns' Prestwick Pioneer
from Aeromodeller will be allowed into the dance....
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:32 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Okay, seeing as a KK Ladybird doesn't qualify, perhaps Burns' Prestwick Pioneer
from Aeromodeller will be allowed into the dance....
Yep, that one's fine Peter, and a very interesting choice too. Looking forward to seeing it. Is it going to be electric R/C?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:18 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Progress Report

I'm glad to say we are now up to 30 entries, not only that but twom models are finished and one has been flown!

Whilst RFJs Manx Monarch is grounded by howling gales in Northern Ireland (nothing new there eh Ray!) Colibriguitars benefitted from some nice conditions in Mexico to successfully maiden his Wee Snifter, well done Rodrigo. Go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798662 to read his very evocative description of the first flight and see some videos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:45 AM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
Prestwick Pioneer

E-powered r/c it will be. Original size. This one will have ailerons and flaps. Should be fun biasing the structure to be as light as possible.

Lots of these British scale models were flying lumberyards, too.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:16 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Lots of these British scale models were flying lumberyards, too.
That's probably because they had to fly in "typical" British conditions Peter!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:08 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Hi George, can you put me down for a Malmstrom Skygipsy. I've finally pulled my finger out and made a start on a model for the Britplan Build off. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,686 Posts
Woohoo! We was missin' you.............
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:30 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Hi George, can you put me down for a Malmstrom Skygipsy. I've finally pulled my finger out and made a start on a model for the Britplan Build off. Gary
Excellent news Gary, I'll do the necessary.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:31 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Progress Report

Time to bump this back up as it is the end of the second month, 1/3rd through the build off.

Well, still only two completed builds, Colibriguitars Wee Snifter and RFJs Manx Monarch, but 17 others have airframes well on the way, cpmcgraw (Envoy and Mam'selle), Mixer421, Owlsabie, RAF-Bob, Applehoney, Sky Jiver, Colonel Blink, cd_webb, cswee, JohnAV8R, In Dale, ECBoehm, Colibriguitars second build, a Mam'selle, edalpoe, KKphantom and (at last!) my own Rubberdub. Hopefully there will be a rush of completions from these over the next month.

It's a little worrying that 8 entries have no build logs yet - Hobgoblin, John38, Sparks59, HarryD, patmcc (2), John Moore and PeterH (Prestwick Pioneer). I know that it is easy to enter in a burst of enthusiasm but then think "plenty of time", but it really is time to get started, so how about some action guys?

The rest - doncrashum, mrdj, Hoffboy and PeterH (Mam'selle) have started build logs, but little or no progress is shown. Come on people, what are you up to??

I know it is easy to let time slip by, I'm a bad example this time in that it has taken far too long to get the Rubberdub to the stage it is now at for numerous reasons, but I hope that we will still see finished models from the vast majority of the entries, and especially that we won't have builds grinding to a halt after substantial progress has been made thus adding to the thousands of sad unfinished aeroplanes which there must be decorating people's workshops.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:17 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
848 Posts
I am getting close - got my plans printed off and the bench cleared
john
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:00 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Excellent John. Looking forward to following your build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
George, my Contra-Gyro project is still alive. What with the very cold conditions in my shed/workshop with only a small fan heater (which costs a fortune to run) for comfort, developing family drama with a new grandchild about to arrive, a spell of illness, and other matters to take my time things have got a bit behind. In addition I've allowed myself to get distracted into completing a Caprice I had part built. It was to be a pure glider but ROBP's electrified version had me changing my mind and this has diverted me a bit as well. I'm now getting back to the build-off and will post some pictures soon. BTW it's still thumping cold here.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,328 Posts
Life does sometimes get in the way. I will get mine Dunne.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D