Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:53 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,497 Posts
Build log started (but no building done!) here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23707600
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:27 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,514 Posts
Got it Colonel, should be fun.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:30 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Harry - Love the idea of an electric R/C Dunne - it has always fascinated me too. Are you thinking elevon control?
Yes, I'll be using elevons. TLAR configuration. Both wings, between the two outer vertical fins, about 1/3 chord.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined May 2009
559 Posts
Skyline Kitten

After much indecision as to whether to build the Model Aircraft Skyline Kitten or the Anita (scaled up to 1.5), my choice has to be the Kitten. I'm a sucker for a parasol and this one just looks like an airplane. Simple lines from a much simpler time.

I'll be building as closely as possible to the plan with the only modifications being the addition of a rudder, an elevator and means to access and change flight batteries. From that you should be able to surmise that this will be an electric conversion but with one major difference (hopefully) from my last entry. This one will last longer than one flight!

Sundancer, you mentioned this one earlier in this thread, so I know you are familiar with it. For any of you that are not, I've "borrowed" a couple of images from the Outerzone.

Build log will get under way soon. Just need to get myself organized. To this point I've been consumed with indecision and little else!

David
cd_webb is online now Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:58 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,514 Posts
Hi cd, glad you are in, I've added your entry, just let me know when you start the build log. The Skyline Kitten is a seriously cute model, it was on my list as a second build following the Rubberdub, I still fancy it a great deal but will leave it in your capable hands for this build off, it's not as if we are short of choices!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:38 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,708 Posts
Hi George : here's the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797372
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:51 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,510 Posts
David,

Just for interest this is the Skyline Kitten construction article from September 1952 MA.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:03 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,497 Posts
David;
I too considered the Skyline Kitten for the build off! What put me off was the fact that I'm not sure that my building accuracy is yet up to having a wing which is divorced from the fuselage structure; also those very attractive curved TEs would be an added (but minor) complication...

Looking forward to 'an alternative' Kitten build log!

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:11 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
We're in!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802407
hoffboy is online now Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:57 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,514 Posts
Great stuff Hoffboy - the Sparky is a classic. The original featured in an early television programme about model flying, sor which it was re-christened "TV Sparky" and is one of the most iconic early UK radio designs. Looking forward to following your version. Is it going to be I.C or electric?

I have added your entry and link to the list.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:05 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,514 Posts
Well, this is going surprisingly well! Seventeen entries so far in the first five days, pretty good, but what is particularly nice is the great variety of different types, makes it really interesting.

Five models that were on my personal shortlist for a second build after the Rubberdub have already been grabbed - Envoy, Paageboy, Wee Snifter, Skyline Kitten and now Sparky! There are still a dozen models left on that list so hopefully by the time I get the Rubberdub finished, one or two may still remain free! Of course, there is no reason why two entrants shouldn't build the same design, it's just that variety is the spice of life.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:12 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Seventeen entries so far in the first five days...
Eighteen, if you count my Dunne (Post #37).
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:28 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Well, this is going surprisingly well! Seventeen entries so far in the first five days, pretty good, but what is particularly nice is the great variety of different types, makes it really interesting.

Five models that were on my personal shortlist for a second build after the Rubberdub have already been grabbed - Envoy, Paageboy, Wee Snifter, Skyline Kitten and now Sparky! There are still a dozen models left on that list so hopefully by the time I get the Rubberdub finished, one or two may still remain free! Of course, there is no reason why two entrants shouldn't build the same design, it's just that variety is the spice of life.
. . . and people keep worrying that no one builds there own models anymore
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:30 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Eighteen, if you count my Dunne (Post #37).
Sorry Harry, slipped by me somehow, it's added now - so 18!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:47 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Great stuff Hoffboy - the Sparky is a classic. The original featured in an early television programme about model flying, sor which it was re-christened "TV Sparky" and is one of the most iconic early UK radio designs. Looking forward to following your version. Is it going to be I.C or electric?

I have added your entry and link to the list.
Electric. And I wondered about one picture that had "TV" on the side of the fuse. Maybe I'll change my thread name to TV Sparky.

Edit: Found the "TV" pic I was remembering.
hoffboy is online now Find More Posts by hoffboy
Last edited by hoffboy; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Found the "TV" image.