SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc View Post
The Dave Banks' Azbug (AM 6/96) was a scaled down copy of Malcolm Abzug's Shrimpo S-4 (AKA Three-Foot Gas Model) published in MAN 1/39.
The Outerzone have made the same mistake in the title listing but their PDF has the correct spelling since it is scanned from original documents.
Thanks for clearing that one up Pat, Outerzone does mention that the Azbug is scaled from the original, but I didn't notice any mention of the later date. The pdf file does show it as Azbug, letter shuffle to denote the origins of the original designer, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Ah, thanks Pat. So that's cleared that up Sparks - the Azbug ISN'T eligible since it was published after 31/12/1965, and the Abzug Shrimpo isn't either since it wasn't in a UK magazine (unless it was in one of the Aeromodeller Annuals I don't have)
Agreed it is not eligible for this build-off George, but it will be on the future build list as I really like the tri-fuse. The triangulation reminds me a little of a home built rubber power model of my own design that flew very successfully with the wing from an Achilles (following the demise of the latter's fuselage in an explosive rubber contraction incident)

As the original thought was to build a bipe, I'm sort of edging towards the Coquette, heartily endorsed by warren as a good flyer, as one would expect from Vic Smeed.

Edit: Finished perusing and looking at alternative designs. Stopped faffing around, no more umm, no more ahhs. Decision made.

I'll build the Coquette. It's going to be electric, probably RET. may build at 1:1 (30/24" spans) but thinking of increasing it to 150 (45") or 170% (51").

Thanks for the input gents.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Last edited by sparks59; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added text
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:53 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
OK Sparks, Coquette it is, I've put it on the list. Hard to go wrong with a Smeed design, and it'll be a nice stablemate for your Popsy.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
463 Posts
I was contemplating the Coquette as well...may stick with original size. I downloaded the plan from Outerzone yesterday. Still not 100% certain yet, still looking around.
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:12 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Well, I must say that for the first day that is a very encouraging start, 11 entries listed and six build logs already started. Let's see if we can top the number of finished models - 24 - the the Britkit build off managed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:45 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Day 2 - 14 entries and 8 build logs, and talk about variety - 2 tailless, a couple of scale models, 2 cabin power jobs, several rubber models both F/F rubber and conversions, a pylon model, a biplane and....an autogyro!

Have you decided what yours is going to be yet Warren?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Jan 02, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:34 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
643 Posts
Hi George,
Still thinking... but I really must make some progress on my old van first so I am likley to be a fairly late entrant.
If all else fails I think I could knock up a Sharkface in the last fortnight, but I do have some special engines which deserve something more interesting.
Ran up an ETA 5 last night (needed some diesel fumes) a Bowden Contest might be nice.
Or maybe an APS Walrus for one of the engines that likes reverse rotation (ED Fury? G Mark twin? - both reed valves.).
So many possibilities....
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:47 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,297 Posts
Most of us probably have one model that clearly stands out in our memories more than any other, whatever the reason. In my case, that model is the Dunne Tailless, published in the March 1957 Aeromodeller.

So that will be my (first?) entry in the Britplan buildoff. It will be original size and construction style. But electric and RC, of course.

I'll have more details and a few anecdotes about the one I built back in 1957, when I start a build log. That may not be for a while though, because I have too many models on the board right now and I dare not start another one until I finish at least a couple of those.

Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:20 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Once I've finished a Jnr 60 re-furb & repaired my damaged Veron Robot I hope to enter with a Popsie & Flying Washboard.
They'll both be electric, the Popsie to be built from a Light Works kit with quite a few mods to bring it back to nearer the plan version.
The FW will be mainly for indoor flying & I intend to commit heresy by using depron as the main material.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:29 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Warren, Harry, Pat - I'll wait with impatience to see what you come up with

Harry - Love the idea of an electric R/C Dunne - it has always fascinated me too. Are you thinking elevon control?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:47 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
With all these threads starting and balsa being hacked left right & centre, I really feel like I'm getting left behind! The problem is that each time I think about what to build, I change my mind. Currently this is on the 'Hmmmmm?' list - I have always loved aircraft from the Golden Age of the 30s, and this one you just want to stroke......! A full size plan has been ordered from Derick.

As my Chicago trip next week has been cancelled, I really need to make some decisions and get some balsa wood ordered!

EDIT: I have just realised that the remaining example is resident at Breighton near Selby - an airfield that I have flown into on quite a few occasions; and the registered owner lives less than 10 miles away from Blink Towers......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jan 03, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:32 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,600 Posts
No more hmmming Colonel - how could you not build this one

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:51 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
That is a great little aeroplane Colonel, and that particular model plan is a charmer which was a guaranteed performer as a F/F model, should make a cracking electric R/C.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:19 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Stick me down for that, then! I'll start a build log tonight or tomorrow......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:21 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
You got it Colonel. Looking forward to following another epic from Blink Towers!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:05 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
That's real purty Col.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421