SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
For sure I'm going to build something....just don't have a clue what it will be.
Maybe a biplane for a change?
Although I was thinking of building a FF (SC assisted maybe)to give the DC Merlin or the Bantam a run, just by way of a change.....
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:28 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Very pleasing to see so much interest before we even start! A few replies needed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
" Frog Tomtit - Britplan Build Off January 2013 to June 2013",

Sundancer, I'm in for the challenge as well!

My build will be a Frog Tom Tit using your plan and article in the July edition of Quiet and Electric Flight International.

Sundancer’s build and plan shown here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tomtit

Magazine with article and full sized plans , see post #128

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=tomtit&page=9

John
Er - John, much as it grieves me to have to say it, my Tom Tit doesn't qualify - cut off date for publication is 31/12/1965, so sadly it's about 46 years too late! I hope you still build it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
I'm in with a Keil Kraft 'Strato Baby' This model didn't qualify for the Britkit build off because although it is a Bill Dean design for KK, it was never kitted so it's got to be a plan, yes? Anyway, I plan to install the wireless and electric bits (sorry applehoney!) from a defunct parkzone micro Corsair. See you in the new year! Gary
Yes, quite right Gary, the Strato Baby was one of Bill Deans designs that didn';t make it into the KK kit range. Should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
Hi George!!
i want to know if this could be...
resized to 32"
Yes CG, resizing either up or down is allowed within the Build Off rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
For sure I'm going to build something....just don't have a clue what it will be.
Maybe a biplane for a change?
Although I was thinking of building a FF (SC assisted maybe)to give the DC Merlin or the Bantam a run, just by way of a change.....
sparks
A biplane would be nice Sparks, as you know I'm a biplane nut. Have a look at Endeavour (very pretty) or Sporty (quirky). Or for a mono how about Cyril Shaws lovely little Fledgling (AM Nov 51), Or a couple of MA plans, Skyline Kitten and Shylark. Lots of choice
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:22 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
820 Posts
I think I will stay with the Debutante by Vic Smeed but scaled up from 40 to 80".
Experience from the build of the 60" version will hopefully be still alive in my memory.

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
I think I will stay with the Debutante by Vic Smeed but scaled up from 40 to 80".
Experience from the build of the 60" version will hopefully be still alive in my memory.

john
Fine John, is it going to be electric?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,609 Posts
Ooooh—“Er - John, much as it grieves me to have to say it, my Tom Tit doesn't qualify - cut off date for publication is 31/12/1965, so sadly it's about 46 years too late! I hope you still build it though!” Of course!

Does the Frog Tomtit qualify?
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:59 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Fine John, is it going to be electric?
still thinking about it but leaning towards electric as cleaner and more convenient.

no need for fuel proofing etc and I think models tend to be a bit lighter.

on the otherhand I have 4 strokes sitting doing nothing and they do make a lovely sound when not being pushed

decisions decisions

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Ooooh—“Er - John, much as it grieves me to have to say it, my Tom Tit doesn't qualify - cut off date for publication is 31/12/1965, so sadly it's about 46 years too late! I hope you still build it though!” Of course!

Does the Frog Tomtit qualify?
Sorry but no again John. The Frog Tomtit was only ever a kit model, never published as a magazine plan, and as such would have qualified for the "Britkit" build off which finishes tomorrow, indeed my scaled up one does qualify, as scaling up or down of the original kit model was allowed, Colibriguitars has built one. The "Britplan Build Off" starting on Tuesday 01/01/2013 is, as the name suggests, for models originally published as PLANS in UK magazines prior to 31/12/1965. (Admittedly some of these for example the Black Magic - may have been subsequently kitted and even more recently laser cut short kits produced for some, but they were originally plans). The qualifications are fully set out in Post #1.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Just thought I'd let you know my 'ahem' short list to check rule compliance. I think these are ok, as I believe all were Aeromodeller plans, but would welcome comments... size, power and scale TBA:
FG Longbon - Flea
M Garnett - Austin Whippet ( I like the idea of this as there is a replica in Doncaster Air Museum)
NW Davis June Bug
Smeed's Coquette - favourite at the moment as I love the way Vic's planes fly
Hempsall's Black Magic (as I have wanted to build one for ages)
Dave Banks Azbug - I like the triangular taper fuselage.

Comments welcome.

sparks
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Just thought I'd let you know my 'ahem' short list to check rule compliance. I think these are ok, as I believe all were Aeromodeller plans, but would welcome comments... size, power and scale TBA:
FG Longbon - Flea
M Garnett - Austin Whippet ( I like the idea of this as there is a replica in Doncaster Air Museum)
NW Davis June Bug

Comments welcome.

sparks
Yep, they are all A-OK Sparks - except that it is Abzug, not Azbug!! Either version of Black Magic, the 1946 original F/F or the re-issued one for R/C are OK.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Yep, they are all A-OK Sparks - except that it is Abzug, not Azbug!! Either version of Black Magic, the 1946 original F/F or the re-issued one for R/C are OK.
Defo Azbug on the plan..not to be confused with a designer called Abzug. The BM plan I would probably use is the original, though with mods for electric power etc.

sparks
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Ah well, in that case I'm not sure about that one, I was thinking of the Abzug Gas Model, which is definitely old enough, that has a triangular rear fuz. Was this a model he created "in the style of" and hence just changed the letters round?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
The Dave Banks' Azbug (AM 6/96) was a scaled down copy of Malcolm Abzug's Shrimpo S-4 (AKA Three-Foot Gas Model) published in MAN 1/39.
The Outerzone have made the same mistake in the title listing but their PDF has the correct spelling since it is scanned from original documents.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Ah, thanks Pat. So that's cleared that up Sparks - the Azbug ISN'T eligible since it was published after 31/12/1965, and the Abzug Shrimpo isn't either since it wasn't in a UK magazine (unless it was in one of the Aeromodeller Annuals I don't have)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
643 Posts
Quote:
FG Longbon - Flea
NW Davis June Bug

Comments welcome.

sparks
I can 100% recommend the Coquette.
I have a 10% enlarged one with a Schlosser 1.0RC and it is a lovely flyer.
Loops and rudder rolls really well or great just to cruise around on low throttle.
There's even a kit available from Old School Model Airplane Factory (look it up on Ebay).
I have built their Lola and Zoot Suit and the kits are excellent, postage to OZ is ok too.
I might be tempted by their Wee Snifter or Chatterbox if I run out of time too.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,295 Posts
1939 Felix by Albert Hatfull

A few weeks ago, I came across an article from the December 1998 Aeromodeller, which I found very interesting and a bit unusual. It was background information for a free plan in that issue, written by Bill Morley. The article is titled, “FELIX – A tribute to Albert Hatfull”. Bill writes:
I first saw a photograph of the “Felix” in Albert Hatfull’s scrapbooks and was taken with its unusual design for a small model. Unknown to me, Albert set about re-creating “Felix” from the photo and from memory. Some months later, a plan copy arrived on my doormat and, upon seeing it, it became an immediate “must build”.
Well, Felix grabbed me the same way, and is now near the top of my “must build” pile too.

But with this upcoming Britplan buildoff, I was wondering if the Felix plan had been published before the 1965 cutoff date and would therefore be eligible. Albert designed and flew the model in 1939, and I’ve seen references to the plan being published around that time, but I haven’t been able to confirm anything. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of whether it might have been published around the time he designed and built it.

I’ll be building Felix anyway, but if it’s eligible for this buildoff that would be even better. Of course, if the 1998 plan is the first to have been published, it won’t be. But I’m hoping someone will remember seeing another plan somewhere in the dim and distant past.

Thanks, and HNY to all.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D