HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Exponential is a must for beginners learning to hover.

Simulators are not a video game. It is a simulation of a task you are trying to learn. If it's a good simulation, it will be helpful, but if it's a bad simulation then you might as well play Call of Duty.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Who said Kiwi's can't fly!
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Here is my latest project (awaiting ESC , blades , pinion and servos to arrive) its a Titan frame , canopy and aftermarket parts , alloy head and tail , Turnigy 2218 ( all new) Im really enjoying putting these things together and setting them up!
Grunta5 is offline Find More Posts by Grunta5
Last edited by Grunta5; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
I just had a hover and it's so hot here today that the glue on the velcro that holds it to the battery mount has melted, it's Summer and around 30 deg ( almost 90 f ) flying may be confined to the evenings from now on.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Exponential is a must for beginners learning to hover.
I did it w/o exponential. Using a Sky-703 radio, on a 250 clone.
And the balls were at the furthest hole, giving the most throw.

But it took me a week of trying every day, MANY times a day.

I still cannot nose in.

I am very lucky that the plastic blades seem to skim off of blacktop
fairly well, and I only broke a few plastic ball links and a few tail
blades in the process.

I'm in the process of moving the ball links over to the next hole,
so it will be less of an evil devil demon bird.

A new radio would be nice, but just can't swing it right now.

The reason I have not got past a hover, is it's so quick, you only
get one shot. If you go the wrong way, you're done.

This might be true of all CP's, (this is my first).
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
You did say you're doing scale like flying, which I think of as more slow and smooth?
I reduced my travel/throw to about 85% on all three to get rid of the "twitchy" and I use about 25% expo on "ail" and "ele" and none on the tail.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunta5 View Post
I just had a hover and it's so hot here today that the glue on the velcro that holds it to the battery mount has melted, it's Summer and around 30 deg ( almost 90 f ) flying may be confined to the evenings from now on.
Wow. I have to worry about parts cracking from the cold, it's snowing right now.

All you have to do is slightly nick anything and stuff breaks.

Nice photos, I have not been brave enough to get mine that high.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Wow. I have to worry about parts cracking from the cold, it's snowing right now.

All you have to do is slightly nick anything and stuff breaks.

Nice photos, I have not been brave enough to get mine that high.

Yours breaks, ours melts ! lol.

Is that a HK250 in your blog?
I also have one ive built but no gear in it as yet ( ive heard they are extremely hard to fly.)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:18 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
In the past when there were no SIMs and only horrible rate gyros were available. Many did not even get past the hovering stage. Of those who did, the majority could only do outer figure of eights. There are no small steps in learning to fly a heli. Therefore, you should really make the best use of a SIM. I would also recommend that you get a smaller, more durable and safer heli.

I hope you don't mind me saying this. As far as I know, those who are recommended not to drive are because they are at a higher risk of fainting. A 450 can be quite a dangerous machine and you should assess the risks involved carefully.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:27 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
My brother-in-law is rich and flies at a private club that costs a fortune to belong to. (Steve, you may have heard of Pebble Creek). Everyone there flies some very nice stuff (40% competition, large scale, turbines, etc.). I tag along as a guest and carry my little X250 quad, which fascinates the hell out of everyone there (but that's another story). The guys there are real nice and are always offering to let me fly one of their "toys". They are nuts! If I crashed one of those things, I'd have to take out a second mortgage to pay to fix it. One guy there has a Hirobo C46 turbine that I did try. But it was cheap, only $11k. I have seen at least one expensive toy go down every time I was there, including one hand built turbine heli that was about 8' long. It didn't have a fuselage, which probably saved a couple thousand. My brother-in-law had a receiver failure and totaled a $15k 40% competition plane. It just lost signal and kept going. It had a transponder, so we found it about a mile or two away. It came down nose first on somebody's cement patio. Damn lucky nobody was hurt and it didn't hit the house.
I have seen you post this before but I thought the club was in a large city such as New York or Los Angeles. I am surprised a small city with a population of 70000 can support a high end club like this. I wonder just how many RC aircraft fliers are in Waukesha, let alone people who fly top-end stuff? I wonder if there are members who have moved to Waukesha just because of the club. Do you know what is the current price for a membership?

We have got only one club in Hong Kong out of a population of 7 million. It takes around $1300 to join the club and there is a monthly fee. What prevents the club from charging a higher amount and limiting its membership is that the land is rented at a very low price from the Hong Kong government. Therefore, there are probably conditions attached that does not allow them to be that exclusive. If they had bought the land, I have no idea what the membership fees would be. You are talking about the most expensive real estate in the World here.

The membership profile there looks very like the club you mentioned. The average age is quite old and there are a lot of businessmen. It is nicknamed the "Wealthy Club" or "The Oldies Club". The difference is that there is a lot of snobbery there.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:20 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Sorry, but I guess I'm sort of out of touch. I haven't been there in almost two years and lots has changed. Damn, time goes so fast when you get old. It's not so exclusive any more. I think you still need a sponsor and an entry fee to get in, but the annual fee is only about $130 now. My brother-in-law now flies out of a private club in Florida. I'm planning on going down there in March. He says most of the good stuff has left Pebble Creek.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Sure, lots of people learn in different ways that aren't optimal. I only talk about optimal techniques - the ones I think are the best. Two things are wrong with that: I could be wrong, and perfect isn't necessary. I have strong opinions about the ways people learn things, from teaching people many different things over the years - but I could be wrong, I'm not a trained educator. The other issue is that you don't need things to be perfect. Every step away from perfect probably slows down your training, but you can still learn.
Quote:
But it took me a week of trying every day, MANY times a day.

I still cannot nose in.
Nobody can really fly nose-in - it's a valuable skill, but the honest truth is, you can't fly what you can't see, and directly nose-in makes it impossible to see the tail and therefore impossible to manage pitch attitude. Turn the tail slightly out so you can see it - remember you are in control, don't put yourself in impossible positions.

Quote:
I am very lucky that the plastic blades seem to skim off of blacktop
fairly well, and I only broke a few plastic ball links and a few tail
blades in the process.
Yeah the plastic blades on the 250 are mushy but durable - good for beginners, but you'll eventually notice the slop in them. When you start to notice that, switch to CF blades.
Quote:
The reason I have not got past a hover, is it's so quick, you only
get one shot. If you go the wrong way, you're done.

This might be true of all CP's, (this is my first).
Pretty much yeah - these birds are designed to be aerobatic, so they are capable of moving really quickly. You can't remove that capability, but you can dampen it a bit with heavy flybar weights or if running FBL, reduced rates.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
[QUOTE=zadaw;23648024

I hope you don't mind me saying this. As far as I know, those who are recommended not to drive are because they are at a higher risk of fainting. A 450 can be quite a dangerous machine and you should assess the risks involved carefully.[/QUOTE]

You know there's an elderly gent at a model club about 70 miles from here who has very limited eyesight ( just a little in one eye I believe ) yet who gets great encouragement from the club to fly his heli , although when I was last there he was only hovering albeit at a reasonable altitude and rock steady.
I actually think im at far greater risk just crossing the road in town than "fainting " and being hit with my heli. Anyone is at risk while flying a model ( more so a heli than a plane , though perhaps debatable) , if a linkage comes loose, a feathering shaft lets go, a beginner puts wrong in wrong input due to disorientation. When im flying my heli it gets 100 percent of my concentration and its only two clicks of throttle to set it down at any time . Take my enjoyment of learning to fly my heli off me and I may as well sit on the couch all day watching tv , but then I may be in danger of nodding off, falling off, and banging my head on the coffee table.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Jasmine, with the nose in im finding its not so much the sideways movement thats tricky ( that parts pretty much like flying my plane ( If it tilts to the left , move stick to the left to pretend you are propping up that wing is how I learnt ,years ago..) it seems to be the elevator.. I end up coming toward me and giving it nose down and I can see its nose down .
Luckily im less than a foot off the ground doing this as it invariably ends up dropping on the front training balls , ill have to work on that, but I think you are exactly right about not seeing the tail , ill try nose in at a slight angle.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,830 Posts
I don't know if it's true, I heard this from one of my customers.

They were out flying BIG planes, and the guy my customer was flying
with flew right into his own chest, killing him. This was about 10 years
ago.

Balr14 you might have heard about it if it's true, since you live not too
far away.

True or not, anyone could easily be killed by even a 250 if it hit your neck
or temple just right, and you were flying alone.

Heck, even just a strike to the head in general could be deadly if you are of
marginal health, were in a remote area, and didn't have a cell phone.
Head wounds bleed like crazy.

Ball link snaps, servo fails, head comes apart, receiver dies, bad solder
joint somewhere, a bolt strips out or vibrates loose, interference....

You don't even have to make a mistake to be attacked by your heli.

A 250 is probably a stretch, but a 450 could easily finish you off.
I'm pretty sure my 250 clone could remove a digit in idle-up mode.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Is your linkage in the furthest hole to increase throw or to make the linkage vertical?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik