HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined May 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post

Hello folks, I've been designing this sailplane in my head for quite some time. It's a proto-type 4 meter woody with an eliptical wing, slight cambered airfoil that changes from root to tip. It has a camber changeable trailing edge, fullhouse, flying stab, and hopefully will finish out in the lower 70 ounce wieght class. The spar is spruce, capped with carbon fiber, inforced with +45*-45* carbon fiber & +45* -45* spar webs and feels very stiff. It's not completly finish as yet, but close. It's winter here in Montana so it will be a while before it will be flown unless I am able to get down to Az for the SWC in Feb. (not flying in contest) but hoping to go and watch and possibly maiden if time and $$ permit. I've learned the hobby of sailplanes thru the school of hard knocks. Built and crashed my share since the late 70's. This will be a record of this sailplane I've named Altimus S7. Altimus is the latin scientific name of a bull nosed shark. I hope it performs more like a shark than Bull. It is also has a Greek meaning for something like ultimate, which is really what I hope for. Anyway I always like looking at everyone's build logs and usually learn something from most, hopefully you'll learn something from this mess and more importantly, teach me something before we come to the end! Please comment or ask questions on anything so I know I'm not typing to myself

Woody

* edit: this thread will enjoy some goofin off so if youd rather "Skip" (and you know I'm only joking here Ventus!) the talking, go back out and click on the paper clip on the right side of the thread page. There is a photo storybook w/ only instruction on the build and just a [I]little goofin off[/I.] We'd love to have you join in the thread though...you choose
Beautiful airframe!

Absolutely nothing wrong with building an airplane the "old way".
Hand cutting parts, sanding, fitting.
There is a great deal of satisfaction in that!
When it's finished and soaring overhead, you will have a creation that came from your head and a something to be very proud of!

Blue skies and thermals!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:14 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
Wow!!!!

IHAVA,
Unbelievable build thread, started at the beginning and read through, you are truly a master builder. Bravo!!! Can't wait to see it in the air, no sneaking out to Table Top without letting us know. I would really love to see the maiden of this one, if not the maiden then just to see it fly. will be tuning in to see the progress.
A bit off subject and back to cycling just for a second, I did a job a couple of years ago and aquired a couple of older road bikes as payment. One is, I believe, a 1982 Myata road bike with full dura ace components, in excellent condition. I wanted to put pedals with clips on the cranks but I would have to change the cranks out totally in order to do that. I guess this was the only year that they made this style of crank with the larger bearing hole in the end. So I didn't want to take away from the originality of the bike so am using it with the toe clips and pedals the way it is. I had to order some special little pads for the bottom of my bike shoes with a slot in them in order for my shoe to fit the pedal. Not as safe as I would like it to be but am getting use to lifting my foot and pulling it out the back. Kinda like owning a '57 chevy, not as cool as the new stuff, but still a cool ride.
The other bike is of the same vintage except a Trek, full campy components except for one wheel, it's in really decent shape as well.
Thanks for letting me drop in look forward to forward progress. FF

By the way Hi Chip, Hi Curtis.
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:38 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Hello FF, how's things? You still working in the beautiful state of ND? Thanks for dropping by the build thread. Good to her from you! I can't wait till spring and the road dries out so we can all meet at TT. Looking from the angle of my head in the photo, I'm thinking I was flying your beautiful Wanderer.... That thing just wanted to climb out. It's a great flier!

The Myata reminded me of the time I was in a bike shop in San Fransico, There was a Myata fully equipped with the latest touring accessories that they we're giving away in a drawing. My team mate convinced my to sign up for the drawing... I asked what I would do with a touring bike? He reminded me that I didn't have a touring bike as "yet" so why worry about it? I wrote down my name, then said to him..."this is how you win a drawing" and I drew a small number seven in the corner of the slip and circled it.

About a month later a phone call at work ( I was spinning pizza in the financial district) from a radio station telling me that I won a Myata. I asked, "Great! what's a Myata??? I'd completely forgot about the drawing...Great Touring bike it turned out to be. A month later we loaded up the bikes w/panniers and way too much gear and rode from Arcata Ca. down to Coos Bay Oregon & back. What a great trip that was. sleeping on the beach at night and peddling everyday.

Hope all is well w/you and your family, ( your son's are such great boy's) see ya soon at the Table. By the way... that Goldberg cub you built is so beautiful. Tow Plane??
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:08 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
WDY,
I am well, thanks for asking. Sometimes as I look around, I think I am better than I deserve. Yes, I am still working in the "Beautiful" state of N.D. Even though it is not the ideal situation, I am grateful for the job and what it provides for my family. While reading through your thread here, I didn't realize that you had knee issues and were off work, I feel for you man. Not only for the pain in the knee, but for the stress you're having to deal with in having projects that need to be completed. That is one thing I can honestly say I haven't missed with having this job. However, the time away from ones family can take its toll too. We are continuing to make adjustments and dealing with things as they come. It really makes me appreciate the time I do get at home and makes me use that time more wisely.
I too am looking forward to spring and am going to make it more of a point to get my sorry butt out to that wonderful site more often. I have had lots of time to surf the WWW and check out a bunch of different rcgroups forums so they can all show me what I'm missing by not getting out flying If you get onto the PE slopers forum or the Hermanus sloper fanatics forum you'll enjoy those two threads, plus they have beautiful places to fly on the coasts of Africa.
Yes you were flying, and it was my "Windfree", yeah, that is an enjoyable plane to fly, I'm glad to have it in my hangar.
You wouldn't recognize my boys, my oldest is now taller than me at 16 (6'3") he's on his school varsity BB team, the youngest is 13 and 5'6", he plays on the 7th-8th grade team and is a starter as a 7th grader, proud of them both and happy to see them having fun.
The cub is not a tow plane....however I guess it could be. I have my trusty utilitarian Senior Telemaster for the glider launching. We do it with a cradle not the tow method, I would like to try towing some time though.
Good to visit, and again, BEAUTIFUL job on your build, you humble me. Look forward to looking in on the progress and look forward to seeing you at TT soon. Stay in touch.
Have really enjoyed the Banter between you and SHVentus. FF
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:12 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
SHVentus,
Is there an rcgroups forum for the Islands? I've looked a bit to see if I could find anything but haven't found much. I can't imagine what it would be like to stand on a slope overlooking the Ocean and feel nice warm air and hear the surf, must be pretty cool. FF
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Freedom Flyer,

Not that I know of. I've never sloped (yet). Maui probably has the best sloping in the islands, but people do slope on the Big Island at a bowl at Naalehu. I've heard it's pretty good as long as the wind is consistent, but if it dies, your plane dies - smashed on the rocks 100' below by the pounding surf.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:31 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
961 Posts
Hello IHAVAWDY

Congratulations to the Altimus S7, what a beautiful glider. I can not get enough of looking at this beauty. I found this thread late so I have not read all of it, but I will.
Good luck in the future with your stunning glider.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:33 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
SHVentus,
I must say that doesn't sound very inviting at all I guess then I'll stick to our Table Top where things are a bit more predictable. Well at least when the wind is blownig I hope you get an opportunity to get into this wonderful but somewhat addictive hobby, it really is a blast. especially when you've got a group of guys to do it with (hint hint WDY)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:11 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
Hello IHAVAWDY

Congratulations to the Altimus S7, what a beautiful glider. I can not get enough of looking at this beauty. I found this thread late so I have not read all of it, but I will.
Good luck in the future with your stunning glider.

/Ville
Ville, thank you so much for posting here, welcome, and thanks also for the well wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
SHVentus,
I must say that doesn't sound very inviting at all I guess then I'll stick to our Table Top where things are a bit more predictable. Well at least when the wind is blownig I hope you get an opportunity to get into this wonderful but somewhat addictive hobby, it really is a blast. especially when you've got a group of guys to do it with (hint hint WDY)
Freedom Flyer, I know, I've offered to watch Ventus house for him while he is visiting Montana and enjoying our beautifully clean, crisp winter air. He say's he wants to come and ice skate and sit by the fire and sip a warm toddy? You guy's could take him to Table Top and let him slope till his eye's freeze open like this and I could surf the winter swell and make sure his lawn stays mowed while he's on the mainland enjoying himself? I see nothing wrong with this Idea... heck, maybe you could show him around the beautiful state of North Dakota, That would really be something...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:45 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,627 Posts
I just want you fellas to know I got the new- new Beta Version- so IHAV is 3rd in line for the CAD
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
IHAVAWDY,

Dang that was funny. I would love to see Montana, even North Dakota, but I would prefer warmer climes, no white stuff on the ground, no seeing my breath, no ice-cycles hanging from my eyes & mouth, no layering of clothes, no handwarmers & gloves, no snowshoes & heavy boots, etc. Only slippas, T-shirts, & shorts, brah.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:53 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
Girl!! :-)
Slippas, T-shirts, and shorts IS how we fly with the white stuff on the ground. Just ask Sixty9mustang. :-)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:44 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Freedom Flyer,

Yup, call me a wus. I have been acclimated to a very narrow temp range for 33 years now. Outside of 65-80*, I either need to add or subtract clothing. It was chilly here last night & had to sleep under my poly filled sleeping bag.

I did the sub zero for too long. In college it would on occasion get down to a REAL -35*, with a wind chill down to -65* in IA. Been there, done that, got a T-shirt, don't miss it. Also don't miss shoveling the white stuff - either from driveways or off the roof so it didn't cave in.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,627 Posts
Yeah- the advantages of apartment and unemployment- let's a guy have time for custom nose jobs like these!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:15 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
LoL, Cap'n! You gonna CnC that first one? How much improvement does that special, highly engineered shape give over the traditional conical form?
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Closed Thread