HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:06 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,368 Posts
Wow, I must live a sheltered life. Never had nothing like that happen to me... Clink?
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:26 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Must have landed on concrete then? more of a 'thud' onto wood floor I suppose.

Brrrrr, dunno how you do it woody, sustaining that kind of environment.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Those of us living here in the northern midwestern states know what cold weather is. Most winters we get a good cold snap when the daily high temps do not get above 0 degrees F. This picture was taken by me a couple of winters ago during one of those cold snaps here in southern Minnesota. Hang in there Woody, these real cold snaps never last too long. And people wonder why we northerners wear shorts when its 60 degrees out.

Wayne

Edit: my car did start that day after being outside all night in the driveway.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jan 15, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:07 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
OK so exagerate just a little bit- it's wild, though, watchin' steam dissipate in 3 seconds!- more later- lady wants to pick on the cat.
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:15 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Must have landed on concrete then? more of a 'thud' onto wood floor I suppose.

Brrrrr, dunno how you do it woody, sustaining that kind of environment.
It's not how but WHY Steve... Even when it's sub zero here, there are still airplanes leaving here and flying south everyday! Why am I not on one???

Wayne, that's gettin brisk at -20 F,vehicles moan... one of these days I'm getting in the truck and driving south until someone asks what that electrical plug is hanging out of the front end?? Thats where I'll buy a piece of property and dig in...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
Back in '95, we had -37 straight temp, fortunately, no wind, I'd take a 12 oz coffe cup full of Boiling? water (tea type from coffee maker), throw into the air, about 1 oz would be water drops, the rest went up in a cloud. and then frozen soap bubbles (didn't get to that one) and i guess there are a few others- gotta ask the weather man fer details!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
I'll be your friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Me too!
Ha Ha Ha, Friends? Nobody calls.... Nobody writes.... I haven't heard from Ventus since he ran out of shrooms? [I]Friends? Please...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Down with a stomach bug!
Ugh!
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:35 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Servo Pockets

It's been very quiet around the ol' build thread lately... We got around $40,000 worth of windows in at the job site, then the painter quits... So guess who's been wearing a respirator 9 hrs a day staining and spraying lacquer? Yep, and every morning I leave saying I'm gonna come home and work on the S7, and every night I say the same thing... tomorrow for sure!
Well, not much to report, only had to work for a few hours today so I thought I'd post something.
Servo pockets needed to be strengthened so the skins wouldn't flex and cause problems. I used some 1/64'' ply to laminate to the balsa and some 1/4'' triangle stock to tie everything to the ribs so things will not de-lam. then cut some 1/16'' balsa servo openings. When I designed this wing I went as thin as I thought possible and still be able to get 10 mm thick servos in the pockets... I might have to go with a super thin servo for the ailerons but still unsure?, I was hoping to not have to go with a servo bump on the covers, but it looks like I might anyways. We'll see when the servos get here and see how long of a servo arm will be needed for the amount of throws required? Man, the joys of building a proto-type just never seem to end? It's all good.... & challenging
Truth be told.... When Daryl released his new Vixen design, it really let the air out of the sails! Now I'm gonna have to design a V-tail fuse... Thanks alot D
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Down with a stomach bug!
Ugh!
Oh man, sorry to hear that Curtis... hope for a quick recovery my friend!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:51 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Oh man, sorry to hear that Curtis... hope for a quick recovery my friend!
I am getting there. Thanks.
Why do these things always happen about bedtime and then you're up all night?
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,575 Posts
Sorry to hear that you've got the bug Curtis. I've got a few friends who have it also and I'm staying as far away from them as I can - seems to be the best way to keep from getting it! Feel better soon!

Hey IHAVA... nice work on the servo pockets. I'd avoid the "bumps" if you can - they somehow might not look quite right on the beauty of a wing, but maybe?

I'm here, following along as best I can, but "things" just keep getting in the way of me having much time for checking in. I'll be here more over the next while, I hope!

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Hey Rob, I know what you mean, Jobs getting in the way of what's really important.... LOL
Hope your project is progressing? Maybe I should blow out my other knee or sprain a ankle or something... I got a lot more done on my sailplane when I couldn't work
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,106 Posts
IHAVAWDY,

No friends??? I've been checking in here multi times per day. No one here though except me & the crickets for 4 days. Glad to see some posts here. Pictures too! Thought maybe you had been sucked into the vortex of the dark side, given up on the S7 & had started a Vixen. No V-tails here. Shaka brah.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:40 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
Now I do know why there haven't been many posts lately- my boss hates anyone who doesn't live- eat -breath wurk- and has the can to prove it!
IHAV, Are you SURE your spraying the right stuff?
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread