SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:46 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
Run the ARX at work today on a very slick floor, I have changed the radio to my trusty Futaba 3Vcs with Spektrum module and new rx, having to run 3s lipos because they are the only ones that fit the bike, all my car hard case cells are just too long. Got to say its fast with loads of wheel spin but still dont like the steering, everything I have learned over the years of how to get a bike to steer nice without touching the bars ie having the steering springs lose and no friction anywhere in the headstock, V shape inserts in the tires, has been completely thrown out of the window on this bike, I even run super fast brushless Kyoshos with no crashbars that are so easy to drive but this one has got me beat. It kind of got better the more I tightend up the steering springs and I could just about keep it off the bars with some opposite input on the sticks but its hard work. The super moto crashbars (metal ones) I think are too far back and lifts the rear wheel off the ground in the turns as soon as they hit, might put the nylon off road crash bars on and try that as that would move the contact point forward. Good news is gyro ran 2 sets of 3300mah 3cell packs and it ran fine, almost bought an electric gyro for this bike my finger has been hovering over the Buy it now if you like but the bike has to show more to me before I way out that sort of money.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Dec 2009
226 Posts
Hay Steve I have this same bike withe electric gyro tried every thing gave up on the steering I think it just is bad design the videos of the owner running them seems to Be. the only guy that makes these bikes work sad I'm ready to buy a different bike
jimkidmotors is offline Find More Posts by jimkidmotors
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:21 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
Well yeah its an old design on the steering, I have an Anderson which handles so much nicer than the arx with the direct steering we all use now, but I like the look of the arx and I got it cheap, as you say all the vids you see make this bike look good but the steering is to aggressive and its just hard on the bars all the time, I run my Anderson with out the crashbars as the slow speed handling is that good and no electric gyro. I contacted Arx to buy an electric gyro as my mechanical gyro dies every time I run the bike and then I have to cut the tire of the wheel every time but they are out of stock, I asked them to send me a mail when they would be back in stock but that seemed to be a problem for them as well think this bike needs a bit of a rework to compete with the other off road bikes out there, I would of bought that electric gyro there and then if it had of been in stock but not so sure now, its just been put to the back of the shelf for now. Would like to know if everyone else out there who bought an arx is happy with their bike and has the gyro been a nightmare like mine and have they had any problem getting parts for the bike.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:05 AM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,384 Posts
From Gregor's Facebook post on the International Toy Fair it looks like AR has done a redesign on their electric gyro to add a centrifugal clutch between the motor and the flywheel. Says it's to make it spin up faster...

Perhaps that's why they're out of stock - and not sure of when new stock will arrive?
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkidmotors View Post
Hay Steve I have this same bike withe electric gyro tried every thing gave up on the steering I think it just is bad design the videos of the owner running them seems to Be. the only guy that makes these bikes work sad I'm ready to buy a different bike
Hi Jim, This is over at Larry's RC in Sterling Heights. This is the first and only time I have run the Atomic MM450 at Larry's and you can see how tight it is there for these big bikes. I think we could race these bikes quite well on a track with 10'-12' lanes. Maybe the MM450 is the option required, but maybe not. We should get together and figure out your steering problems. Let me know if you're interested.

00089 MM450 DIRT BIKE AT LARRY'S INDOOR RC NO.7 (2 min 33 sec)
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:30 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco View Post
Well yeah its an old design on the steering, I have an Anderson which handles so much nicer than the arx with the direct steering we all use now, but I like the look of the arx and I got it cheap, as you say all the vids you see make this bike look good but the steering is to aggressive and its just hard on the bars all the time, I run my Anderson with out the crashbars as the slow speed handling is that good and no electric gyro. I contacted Arx to buy an electric gyro as my mechanical gyro dies every time I run the bike and then I have to cut the tire of the wheel every time but they are out of stock, I asked them to send me a mail when they would be back in stock but that seemed to be a problem for them as well think this bike needs a bit of a rework to compete with the other off road bikes out there, I would of bought that electric gyro there and then if it had of been in stock but not so sure now, its just been put to the back of the shelf for now. Would like to know if everyone else out there who bought an arx is happy with their bike and has the gyro been a nightmare like mine and have they had any problem getting parts for the bike.
Hi Steve, my mechanical gyro did not give me any trouble but it just did not work real well in slow speed handling, i have fitted the electric gyro it is better for slow speed but i think it needs to spin faster to give more gyro affect comparing it to my vmx it just does not have the same force & stability of the vmx electric gyro & therefore does not work as good, all they do is upgrade the e-gyro all the time but the so called improvements to gyro do nothing to the performance of the bike so there is no chance of me getting the new one just because it has a clutch set up.
The steering is the worst part of the bike i binned my spring steering not long after i got the bike i went with this & although it was a lot better i found it still too sensitive to adjustment i did get it working nice a couple of times but then the slightest change in spring or oil would throw it right out again it is just a orrible set up it was either too tight & cause bad tank slapping or too loose & slow steering response.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
226 Posts
Hay Dave I have been out of it for a while picked up a baya 5t truck I did build a track at my shop in Redford how you been yours looks good in doors I gave up on my arx fed up would like to get a bike that I can play with though
jimkidmotors is offline Find More Posts by jimkidmotors
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:04 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
I kind of thought this was an ARX thread, need something positive from arx, its just drifting along with no feed back from them are they making a new gyro ?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:37 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,384 Posts
Quote:
I kind of thought this was an ARX thread, need something positive from arx, its just drifting along with no feed back from them are they making a new gyro ?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:13 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
the current egyro (without clutch) is in stock at Gregors motorradshop.de, and Willis rcrcacepro.at shops.

I've seen handling problems with the ARm (Supermoto) Bike, when the rear tire does not find enough grip. Then you have to use old Cross tires. They do wear away quickly on tarmac, but they do find more grip in tricky conditions.

Regarding the steering: Make sure the fork is not binding. I never tried the base kit with the plastic bushings, I always used the ball-bearing steering from the pro model.
The spring steering works fine for me for almost 4 years now. I just added half of a front (fork) spring over each steering spring, to get more steering.
Then I just use the travel on the servo, to get the steering response I like.

Your symptoms (Bike crashing on the bars) sounds like it could be:
- a grip problem
- a steering problem (does not move easily, so once the servo builds enough force to overcome that, it crashes on the bars).

I run the eGyro on 7.4V (2s), and in grippy conditions it gives me too much stability, noticeable slowing me down at corner entry.
In slippery conditions the stock eGyro (current heavy flywheel) is good, I don't know if more gyro force would help me there or hinder me.
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:42 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,809 Posts
It depends on where you want to use it, i only had issues with it on the dry dusty dirt, on grass & tarmac it was ok, the e-gyro will stop it from slamming on the bars mine used to do the same with the mech gyro.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:23 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
I think the problem with the Arx is the steering set up has no caster so the wheel will not self centre like the direct steering on our other bikes, infact it has the forks in front of the pivot for the headstock so it will not caster like a shopping trolly wheel which is how the direct steering set up works. You can see this if you flop the arx over to one side the wheel does not follow like on the Anderson or our other road bikes where the wheel will drop over to the side the bike leans which makes the bike very stable according to how tight you have the steering springs, the arx does not have this in built stability so it needs that massive gyro to keep the bike upright and as soon as it starts to slow down and it does real quick the bike is a nightmare to drive, I think maybe arx are going down the wrong road with trying to make the gyros faster to overcome this problem and maybe should look at the steering set up, I am suprised no one has tried to put a normal direct steering set up on this bike I am sure it would transform the bike, I have been real dissapointed in mine.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,809 Posts
How about single pivot direct steering & oil forks.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:51 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,776 Posts
Nice TJ.
I have seen pics of one or two arx bikes from a blog in japan that replaced the arx steering/front end Steve. They used the front end of the vmx as well, but kept the arx front wheel to match. Translation was horrible and no videos to know how it went though.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:22 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
I think the problem with the Arx is the steering set up has no caster so the wheel will not self centre like the direct steering on our other bikes, infact it has the forks in front of the pivot for the headstock so it will not caster like a shopping trolly wheel which is how the direct steering set up works.
..you did not understand how the ARX/Ricky steering system works.

Because of the "steering arms", it acts like a single pivot, where the pivot point is far in front of the bike (not just 3cm like on "Single Pivot Bikes").
Just watch how the fork moves when you move it side to side, and try to find the centre of the curve it describes.

But anyway - I begin to think that the ARx seems to be not that easy to set up/drive like it should be. I know mine works very fine, and everyone that tried it agreed.

I do agree that the VMX/MM with the direct steering and the slim chassis is a superb Supermoto Bike - but I still have to see one of them beat an ARx in Offroad.

Edit: Direct Steering Conversions have been done to the ARx Chassis. None of them looked considerably quicker in the race.
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg