Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:08 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post

You can power the SPC port off of the main power lipo or off a second battery if you chose. I just power off the main. OF course nothing is FULL PROOF!
Yes any system can fail due to antennae problems. But My understanding is that Spectrum has lockouts due to interference from other radios when flying in a crowded environment like the Joe Nall. A9 does not suffer those (at least not near as many) reports.
The need the SPC Port regarding the high brownout voltage of the Optima RX and yes it's even higher as old Spektrum RXs.
The switch mode voltage regulator is the bottle-neck and the harakiri mode called scan mode. And useful at very high S is the SPC not really. Except for the lack of galvanic separation.

How many Spektrum,JR DSM2 and how many A9 on Joe Nall? Shown Hitec mass startings on Joe Nall?
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Last edited by Kambalunga; Dec 28, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: [/QUOTE]
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,054 Posts
Quote:
But My understanding is that Spectrum has lockouts due to interference from other radios when flying in a crowded environment like the Joe Nall.
Joe Nall is where we demo'd mass flies of more than 40 T-28's in the air at a time ... using DSM2.

DSMX addresses issues that could occur when huge numbers of transmitters are on at a time. Just forget info you heard 3 years ago and you'll be fine.

People think there's something hokey about the video we did of a heli flying directly over 100 tx's turned on, but there isn't. It's simple to replicate - turn on 100 transmitters and fly over top of it with a DSMX heli.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Joe Nall is where we demo'd mass flies of more than 40 T-28's in the air at a time ... using DSM2.

DSMX addresses issues that could occur when huge numbers of transmitters are on at a time. Just forget info you heard 3 years ago and you'll be fine.

People think there's something hokey about the video we did of a heli flying directly over 100 tx's turned on, but there isn't. It's simple to replicate - turn on 100 transmitters and fly over top of it with a DSMX heli.

Andy
PLease be assured that I have no dog in any fight between radios. My comments are based solely on my limited information and limited experience. I have tried to make that clear by refraining from dogmatic statements.

I welcome new information!

Andy, can you expand? Are you saying that DSM DID have problems but that DSM2 and DMX have solved them?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,744 Posts
[QUOTE=Kambalunga;23638796]
Quote:

. And useful at very high S is the SPC not really. Except for the lack of galvanic separation.
:
Forgive my ignorance, but what does "very high S" stand for?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,054 Posts
Quote:
PLease be assured that I have no dog in any fight between radios. My comments are based solely on my limited information and limited experience. I have tried to make that clear by refraining from dogmatic statements.
I have noticed that, and tried to reply accordingly. Hopefully I was not "dogmatic" too much either

Quote:
Andy, can you expand? Are you saying that DSM DID have problems but that DSM2 and DMX have solved them?
Saying that you made improvements on something doesn't mean the old version had problems. It's normal to make things better, continuously. We are constantly working on adding new features to the DX8 and DX18 series of radios, but that doesn't mean the earlier versions without the new bells and whistles are somehow flawed. (That doesn't mean there haven't been bugs, but we list the bug fixes in the changelog along with the new features).

Part of engineering is knowing where you can make improvements. I have a database of 200 items (and growing, it seems) for things I would like to add to the AirWare code. Along the same lines, DSMX improves on DSM2. It's built on top of DSM2, not replacing it, just as the new features I'm adding to the radios use what is already there. If you look at some other brands, they may have 3 different levels of incompatible RF protocols that they are using to appeal to different levels in the aircraft market segment, all at the same time. We have two product types (DSM2 and DSMX) which are 100% forward/backward compatible that are all drifting toward DSMX because there is no penalty in doing so (in fact, in the ultra-micros they gain telemetry as part of the upgrade).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
I flew both and bought the A9, feels better in my hands and more value for my money. Programming is easier than my Eclipse7. Not having the "popular" brand radio in my club has worked out very well, I spend my time flying. Hitec just seems to be more time efficient for me.

Fair disclosure; I have never owned a Spektrum Tx but do use a spektrum module in my O6 for micros.

Quote:

(in fact, in the ultra-micros they gain telemetry as part of the upgrade).

Andy
Any more info on this Andy? This is probably the only reason you might get me to buy a spektrum tx.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,187 Posts
Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "very high S" stand for?
You know what a LIPO is? S stand for how many cell your LIPO has.
The SPC-Port can only handle 8S.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1416
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga View Post
You know what a LIPO is? S stand for how many cell your LIPO has.
The SPC-Port can only handle 8S.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1416
I use the SPC port on a number of 12s systems... Just run off one of the main packs. Works great. Still know what's left in the tank without the need for the telemetry module, however i have a heli with the hitec telemetry module to view full 12s voltage, while using the proven SPC port to power the RX. Works great too.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,194 Posts
Quote:
Ah, exactly like a DSMX receiver, very good!

Andy
No, not exactly... The SPC port powers the RX independently of the servos with up to 35V which the DSMX RX's does not offer. In most cases where brownouts occur it's only the RX that has insufficient power to operate, not the servos. The SPC.also provides flight pack battery telemetry directly though the RX where the DX8 requires an additional unit that costs and weighs almost as much as an additional RX to have this capability.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Last edited by MikeMayberry; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Happy A9 user here. It's really a fantastic radio, witha lot more features than the Dx8. I had a Dx7s which is very similar to the 8 in programming,I can fly micros as well. Plus genuine receivers are a bit cheaper.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
Any more info on this Andy? This is probably the only reason you might get me to buy a spektrum tx.
The DSMX ultra-micros report flight log data to the transmitter. The next update to the transmitters will bring this out for view.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
No, not exactly... The SPC port powers the RX independently of the servos with up to 35V which the DSMX RX's does not offer. In most cases where brownouts occur it's only the RX that has insufficient power to operate, not the servos. The SPC.also provides flight pack battery telemetry directly though the RX where the DX8 requires an additional unit that costs and weighs almost as much as an additional RX to have this capability.

Mike.
Your SPS-port works only up to 8S and without galvanic seperation of RX battery ground and drive battery ground direct in your RX. Not really what I called a good design as measurement and control engineer. When the drive battery fail and this happen frequently as a RX-battery fail. Then fall you with your SPC-Port out of the sky. Your Optimas has the higher brownout voltage.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I use the SPC port on a number of 12s systems... Just run off one of the main packs. Works great. Still know what's left in the tank without the need for the telemetry module, however i have a heli with the hitec telemetry module to view full 12s voltage, while using the proven SPC port to power the RX. Works great too.
Sure and some times can you smoke with such central tapping your RX.

Quote:
WARNING! Be careful when using the SPC port and using 2 lipos in series with one connected to the SPC port, How you hook them up is IMPORTANT! It can BLOW the RX if you do it wrong.
If SPC is powered from the Lipo that is plugged into the positive side of your Series harness it causes a short.
This is only the first chase of many disaster scenarios with central tapping.

Edward A. Murphy, jr postulated the Murphy's law.
Anything that can possibly go wrong, does.
If there's more than one possible outcome of a job or task, and one of those outcomes will result in disaster or an undesirable consequence, then somebody will do it that way.
Last edited by Kambalunga; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
good listener
Haltom City TX
Joined May 2008
88 Posts
I bought my A9 12/14/2009. With anything new on the market it had some issues. HiTec acknowledged the issues and took care of them. They also did some research. HiTec started a thread requesting user suggested "improvements" for the A9. They incorporated as many of these as possible into their new product. So much so that the original manual is way out of date compared to the features of the updated product.

The by-product of these inputs is the incorporation of some of these features into competitive product becoming a huge success for HiTec and the owners of competitive products. Thanks HiTec for listening to your customer base. Yes, I know not all wanted features were incorporated into the A9 but that simply means we have good stuff to look for the future.

As an owner of other brands of Radios I never had a rep ask me what I wanted added to/improved in their product. So, thanks HiTec. Oh, the upgrade process is a little cumbersome but works and insures the integrity of the upgrades. I'm good to go with it. Guys at my field used to share the Hp22 but all have there own now. It really doesn't seem a burden to such a fully featured system spending a little for the dongle.

I'm staying with my A9 and hope you enjoy your new system.
bgw45 is offline Find More Posts by bgw45
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,587 Posts
Kam
That's why I contacted Hitec first and they told me the correct way to setup. I think it is BS to work in broad generalities and put it all under one umbrella, like it will happen. Sounds like a load of propaganda to me.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes