HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Steveis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,658 Posts
Discussion
KK2 NoLCD PC Software V2.1

Edit - New KK2 V1.6 NoLCD and PC Client V2.3 available here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post25405668

Edit (12/01/13) - I have updated the PC_NoLCD client as the logic was incorrect for Servo and ESC selection.

Updated version with enhanced KK2 files.

NoLCD is a DOS program that enables you to set up you KK2 board without an LCD. It works with the standard V1.2 to 1.5 code with reduced functionality. For enhanced usability, update the KK2 board with the specially made NoLCD software and perform a factory reset using the PC NoLCD software.

The solution to a broken LCD (until HK start selling them) is as simple as I could make it. No cables to make up.

Requirements: -

Programming cable (the one you use to flash your board).
A PC that can run a command prompt.
A working LED on the board.
A working buzzer on the board.

Run the NOLCD program with the board connected to the programmer. The default programmer is 'usbasp' however, you can enter your programmer type at the command prompt: EG

C:\NOLCD>NOLCD usbtiny

Don't connect the battery to the KK2 board when using this program.

Why upgrade the KK2 board firmware with the NoLCD firmware: -

- Provides a way of checking the receiver signals (Receiver Test).
- Provides a way ot checking the transmitter trims (Receiver Test).
- Enables you to see sensor values when calibration fails (Sensor Test).
- Provides audio and visual feedback of status and errors.
- You still get the full menu so it can be used with an LCD or try to navigate blindly!
- Skips some menu key presses - like asking you to press continue after a Factory Reset.

Changes are not made on the fly. You load the boards config, make changes and then write the changes back to the board. Current settings are read when you run the program but there is a menu option to read them in again.

Flashes and Beeps already in the standard code

- Arming and Disarming Beep, armed beep, lost model beep
- Led On all the time = armed or in calibration mode
- Led short flash with short beep on power up = I'm alive
- Quick blast of beeps = come out of factory reset
- Low Voltage Alarm (recommend setting to zero volts while setting up the board)

Flashes and Beeps in the NoLCD code

(On the SAFE screen)
Single Quick beep to copy Trim values from SRAM to eeprom (about 30 secs after power up).
Pulsing Quick beep if self level is on (at same time Led is on - aka 1 second flash below).
1 second flash followed by a number of quick flashes to report Status
0 short flashes = OK (allows you to arm the board and fly).
1 short flash = Sensor not calibrated (You shouldn't see this).
2 short flashes = Error: no Roll input
3 short flashes = Error: no Pitch input
4 short flashes = Error: no Thro input
5 short flashes = Error: no Yaw input
6 short flashes = Not used
7 short flashes = Error: Sanity check (Some parameters are out of range)
Note, leave in this state for at least 30 seconds to ensure no errors are seen. Once an error is seen, it does not clear.
A slow flashing LED is good to go (1 second on / 1 second off)!

(Sensor Calibration)
5 beeps = going into Calibrate Sensors
5 beeps = Calibration successful
1 continuous beep = Calibration failed (you will need to power cycle - values can be checked in NOLCD)
Note that a Factory Reset forces a Sensor Calibration so make sure it is level after the 5 beeps.
Normally, you press Continue in Sensor Cal but there are now no button presses required.

Enjoy
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steveis; Jun 29, 2013 at 06:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
Quarry Rat
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for this tool!!! It's very useful after my tricopter landed upside-down cracking the LCD. If I can recommend a few word changes in the menu it will be as follows:

1. RECEIVER TEST: 1st procedure should be to disconnect the USB programmer. I know one can figure it out yourself but maybe it should be listed as the first step.

2. CALIBRATE ESCs: Step 3 should read: "Hold down buttons 1 and 4 while turning on KK2". The current wording will cause the motors to spin up if they are armed because the buttons are only being pressed after turning on the KK2. Not all people listen when they are told to REMOVE THE PROPS...

Regards,
AndreKotze is online now Find More Posts by AndreKotze
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Hi Steve,

I ran into a problem with the TRICOPTER layout. The front motors (1 & 2) only arm after I arm the KK2 board, and the servo (4) kicks all the way over to the left side and stays there. Motor 3 is the only motor that arms when the battery is connected. Any advise?

Thanks,
Last edited by AndreKotze; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
AVR Dude
Joined Jul 2011
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreKotze View Post
Hi Steve,

I ran into a problem with the TRICOPTER layout. The front motors (1 & 2) only arm after I arm the KK2 board, and the servo (4) kicks all the way over to the left side and stays there. Motor 3 is the only motor that arms when the battery is connected. Any advise?

Thanks,
Thanks for the feedback.

I expect a reset has configured it as a quad+ setup. Load the config, change to tricopter and write settings back.

I will look at your suggestions in the first post in the morning
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:54 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Hi Steve,

Yes I uploaded the firmware and then did a factory reset. I then went out and back in again to make sure that it went to + quad. I then loaded the tricopter layout and configured all my settings. I then went out and back in again to also make sure that the tricopter layout has been saved and it was.

I tried to load the stock v1.5 firmware back onto it but after changing the layout to tricopter I am unable to arm the board...

Regards,
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:33 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Hi Steve,

I've played around with your firmware some more today and I've made the following observations:

The problem with my tail servo jamming to the left side of my tricopter is only present when I change the RATE of the servo from low to high in the mixer menu. It however only jams when the throttle is at zero. As soon as you increase the throttle it jumps to a middle position.

The 5 beeps before and after the calibration process, I sometimes get 5 beeps and sometimes 4 for the first sequence of beeps, but I've only ever had 4 beeps for the last sequence after the process. The process still works though, just wondering about the number of beeps.

When I loaded the normal v1.5 firmware all I did was to change the layout to tricopter and write back to the board, but it won't arm and if I give the disarm stick input I get a long beep, beep, beep.

Hope the above helps...

Regards and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Andre,
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:48 AM
AVR Dude
Joined Jul 2011
1,658 Posts
I think you need to recalibrate your accelerometers and the only way to do that with the original firmware is to navigate the menu. I only tested mine on a +quad but it should work OK on the tricopter setting.

4 or 5 beeps doesn't matter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:39 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Thanks, that worked. I managed to blindly navigate the menu and calibrate them. I am now able to arm the stock v1.5 firmware.

Any idea perhaps why the ESCs for motors 1&2 wont arm on startup until the board is armed and why the tail servo jams at zero throttle? It almost looks to me as if they dont receive and input signal from the board at these moments.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:32 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Is there perhaps a way of editing the default settings of the stock v1.5 firmware before it is uploaded? (i.e. edit the settings and layout the way you want them, upload and fly...)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:16 AM
AVR Dude
Joined Jul 2011
1,658 Posts
My NoLCD PC software will work with the standard firmware too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:46 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
I know it works but what about the problems I am having with the tricopter layout where the front motors dont arm and the tail servo jams? Do you perhaps have a tricopter that you can test it on to see if you can replicate my findings?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Hi Steve.

I managed to borrow a spare board from a friend while I wait for my replacement to arrive. I flashed it with your firmware, changed the layout to tricopter and in the mixer editor changed the servo rate to HIGH. I then wrote the changes back to the board, but when I go onto the mixer editor on the screen it still shows the servo rate as LOW. I also noticed that I am unable to view the motor layout on the screen, it just flashes and makes two quick beeps...

Any advise?

Thanks,
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
AVR Dude
Joined Jul 2011
1,658 Posts
I had to remove motor layout for the memory space (not much use when you don't have a screen). I'll look into the servo issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:53 AM
Quarry Rat
Joined Aug 2007
227 Posts
Thanks Steve.

I did a test by changing all the settings in every menu, saving them, and then reading them on the screen to see if they saved. All work fine except for the "Type" and "Rate" values in the Mixer Editor. If I set them to SERVO and LOW, they save as SERVO and LOW. ESC and HIGH saves as ESC and HIGH, but SERVO and HIGH shows as ESC and LOW.

I couldn't try ESC and LOW as it wouldn't allow me to make that change - I'm assuming you built that feature into your app.

Hope the above helps...

Thanks,
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:17 AM
AVR Dude
Joined Jul 2011
1,658 Posts
Andre, thanks for the feedback. There was an error in my logic which should now be corrected in the PC_NoLCD zip file.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread