HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Discussion
IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF Helicopter

Local shop got these in,fairly large for a coaxial and looked to fly well. The C.A.T system seemed to work as described when they tried to fly it into the wall.

Video from the local shop(flight demo starts at 4:15)
IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF Helicopter Overview And Flight Demos Indoor At Hobby Town Orland (8 min 19 sec)

Video from IFT
IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF and RFR with Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) (3 min 24 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
That's pretty cool!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Took a few pics while i was at the shop,you can kind of see how much larger it is than a smaller indoor coaxial in the last pic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
It's looks like a Esky Big Lama which is also advertised as an outdoor capable helicopter. Hopefully, some Big Lama owner will buy one and do a comparison. The Big Lama is half the price without the collision avoidance system.
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
I was at my local HobbyTown tonight asking about the CX4 and they showed me this I am pretty sure I am going to get this instead. Not only is it $10 cheaper then the CX4 it has sensors that help not hit anything. The guy at HobbyTown flew it for me and it was pretty cool.
new_2_rc is offline Find More Posts by new_2_rc
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:18 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Im not to picky about brands but all the ares stuff has good parts support locally so if you do end up breaking something you can get parts to repair it without waiting a long time,even when there stuff first comes out the parts have always been available. Im guessing its the same with the IFT stuff and will ask next time im at the local shop. The cx4 looks neat to,looking forward to seeing one when there at the local shop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:33 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
The collision avoidance feature is mostly a gimmick. The heli is too big to fly in most homes and what you are most likely to collide with outdoors is the ground.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The collision avoidance feature is mostly a gimmick. The heli is too big to fly in most homes and what you are most likely to collide with outdoors is the ground.
I would have to disagree as you see in the video the guy is flying is in a small hotel room I have also flown one myself in our office conference room which is only about 12' x 14'
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Im not to picky about brands but all the ares stuff has good parts support locally so if you do end up breaking something you can get parts to repair it without waiting a long time,even when there stuff first comes out the parts have always been available. Im guessing its the same with the IFT stuff and will ask next time im at the local shop. The cx4 looks neat to,looking forward to seeing one when there at the local shop.
All the parts are readly available. We are expecting a 2nd shipment of parts and helis in a week to 10 days to the all the stores that have them on order. Many of the stores have parts and helis in stock right now
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:09 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
I would have to disagree as you see in the video the guy is flying is in a small hotel room I have also flown one myself in our office conference room which is only about 12' x 14'
If you are so bad that you can't avoid a wall when you are moving about 2 mph, I guess you need it. It's cool, but has limited practical use.
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:22 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
All the parts are readily available. We are expecting a 2nd shipment of parts and helis in a week to 10 days to the all the stores that have them on order. Many of the stores have parts and helis in stock right now
I asked about parts support at the LHS and just like the ares stuff it has been available for the IFT heli since day one when it came out. Its nice to know especially if your new to rc flying that you can actually get parts at the shop you bought it at if you have a mishap.. not months later when parts support is finally shipped . I hate to gripe on here about parts support.. i can understand a brand new release hitting the shelves and it taking a bit of time for the parts to come in but lately its been really bad with some other brands.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:50 PM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I'm with you on that. I can see the collision avoidance system good for indoors but what good would it be outside....especially if your flying in a bigger space with no obstructions...? As well how do we know some of the design is not of the CX4 persuasion...? Example the Tx looks like an eflite 5DSM just with different colors and markings on the Tx sticks. It seems to me one manufacture makes these components based on what ever company specify's what they want. IE: eflite, esky etc. So the manufacture caters to what each company whats for thier own specific design and or patent. Hmm interesting. If you ask me this heli looks very esky'ish.
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) is not a gimmick at all, nor was it developed or really intended for use outdoors. The Evolve 300 CX is a larger (than typical ‘micro’ class) CX heli that can be flown outdoors (even in winds up to 10 mph when the optional flybar is installed), and while most other similar class models cannot be flown outdoors in much or any wind, and are a bit too large for many pilots (especially first-time pilots) to fly comfortably indoors, C.A.T. makes it possible for even first-time pilots to fly the E300CX indoors too. So while Blade chose to include rubber-coated rotor blades with the CX4 in hopes they’ll be less likely to break and/or to cause less damage when they come into contact with obstacles, we instead chose to develop and include a technology (at a lower price) that helps to significantly reduce the likelihood that the blades will actually come into contact with many obstacles (which results in less broken rotor blades and fewer crashes so pilots can hopefully spend more time flying and less time repairing while saving money too).

That said we realize not all pilots want/need the benefits that C.A.T. offers, so for experienced pilots that are comfortable flying the Evolve 300 CX indoors the C.A.T. system can be turned off remotely from the stock transmitter (or any 5-channel transmitter if you purchase the Ready-For-Receiver version)....you can even remove the C.A.T. module in a few seconds if you prefer:

Quote:
The advanced and IFT-exclusive C.A.T. software offers selectable modes suitable for flying in larger and smaller indoor spaces and also makes it possible to turn the technology on or off remotely from the transmitter.
So as noted and seen in the video above, the E300CX can easily be flown in rooms as small as 10’x10’ with the technology turned on or off, whether you’re a first-time or an experienced pilot. Plus it’s large enough and powerful enough to fly outdoors in winds up to 10mph too. Not many (or any?) other CX helis can be flown comfortably indoors and outdoors in the wind by first-time and experienced pilots like the E300CX.

Also, I can confirm with 100% certainty that the Evolve 300 CX was not designed by or developed in cooperation with, nor is it manufactured by Esky. Some parts may be similar in look/design to those used on other similar class models, however, the E300CX was developed and is manufactured to our own specifications and standards. And because all IFT products are backed by an engineering and development team with nearly 40 years of combined experience flying and developing some of the industry’s most revolutionary and notable RC aircraft, those standards are among the highest in the industry.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:56 PM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
evolve VS Cx4

It stands to reason that the Cx4 was designed to be a better performer..It seems blade doesn't feel their newbie heli customers need and or want some anti-crash technology in a co-ax heli.. Due to the success of the CX2. They know there definitely will be mucho after market performance upgrades in the long run. That said...Will IFT have any performance upgrades down the road to make there's fly better than stock as well...? with or without the anti-collision technology....? Co-axle helis are stable enough on their own......I feel it's a way to attract potential buyers to the product or the rank beginner to make it more attractive to the first time buyer. It's all about marketing......new product..need to have buyers. So lets throw in the collision technology. It's like "field of dreams"..."build it they will come", and in this case..buy. $$$$. Just my 2 cents. Seems redundant doesn't it...? It's like who needs a AS3X in a co-ax heli....? Sure, you can turn off the anti-collision or remove it all together...why even add it for the price....? Drop the price, sell it with a better 3 in 1 mixer, (heading lock gyro incorporated), and add some performance upgrades and away we go. Makes better sense if you ask me.
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Last edited by douglas4; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:26 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
It stands to reason that the Cx4 was designed to be a better performer..It seems blade doesn't feel their newbie heli customers need and or want some anti-crash technology in a co-ax heli.. Due to the success of the CX2.
FWIW I was the Product Developer/Manager responsible for development of the original Blade CX, the Blade CX2, the option parts and a number of other Blade helis. I know the success in sales of the CX2 very well, as well as the success, and oftentimes lack thereof, consumers have had with the product when attempting to fly it indoors and outdoors too. The lack thereof is why our team developed the Evolve 300 CX and C.A.T. to offer first-time and low-time pilots a better chance of success when flying this class of CX heli indoors, and far superior performance for first-time to experienced pilots when flying outdoors in winds up to 10 mph.

Also, while the Blade CX4 was developed and is primarily recommended to be flown indoors only we spent a significant amount of time testing many different lengths of inner and outer shafts, lengths and weights of flybars, power systems and control throws in order to provide stock and option parts that deliver maximum stability, maneuverability and performance indoors AND outdoors too. We've even tested the Blade CX4s rubber-coated rotor blades back-to-back with the Evolve 300 CXs stock rotor blades and found they’re less efficient (delivering less overall power/lift and flight time per charge) and too flexible to use when flying outdoors in the wind. And while you seemingly prefer the Blade CX4 based on your past success with other Blade brand products, to reason it was designed to be a better performer indoors or outdoors is simply not the case at all.

On a related note, the gyro built into the Evolve 300 CX control unit offers performance similar to or even better than many heading lock gyros, and like the Blade CX2 (and maybe the CX4), you can install a heading lock gyro of your own (like the GY240) if you prefer. Also, whether you purchase the RTF or RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) version you can install just about any 5+ channel receiver to work with just about any 5+ channel transmitter (including all suitable Spektrum receivers and the DX6i, HP6DSM and LP5DSM transmitters).
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Mar 06, 2013 at 05:28 PM.