HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Rant
I am not happy wiyh my Naza M GPS

Correction for above typo, I am not happy with my Naza M GPS.

I recently bought a Naza M with GPS along with a Flame 550. The hex is balanced perfectly and everything is hooked up perfect. The Naza was programmed perfectly using the software and the transmitter communicated perfectly with the controller and the computer program. The two 3 point switches activated the modes, fail safe, return to home perfectly.

I have viewed more than 10 instructional videos to verify that my hookups and programming are correct..Actually each of the videos was missing a different important point, so you have to watch several in order to put the whole picture together correctly.

End result, the GPS function is completely inoperative and I am very angry. I have read every post on the Naza, hundreds, and can only determine that their superior products are still a work in progress, overpriced, and nothing but just an over hyped mass produced China product that can have the typical manufacturing defects..

How many hours have you guys wasted? Actually based on what I have read you guys have wasted so many hours trying to make the DJI overpriced products get anywhere near working normally. It isn't really brain surgery, it's just that DJI wants you to think it is as a way of justifying their defects and inadequite instructions by transfering the problem to you, the customer.

So, you guys continue to explain the deficiencies as OK because you like tinkering and you learn allot.

OK so I got stuck with a defective GPS, big deal? Where is the guarantee for defective DJI products? I got one, where do I go? Do you guys see any DJI guarantees? I was already to pull the trigger on the Wookong M, but then I started to think, if I spent this amount of time on a defective Naza M GPS why take the chance on the next step up at much more money.

PS I am cancelling my order for the Phantom, I am pissed, can you tell? Our time is valuable, why help them to become good business people and beta test their products, they should be paying us.

For $399 out the window for the Naza, now I feel slightly better after venting.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:17 AM
Registered User
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
444 Posts
Yeah, a friend of mine has a Naza system and is having all kinds of problems. Apparently lots of other people are having problems too. He just sent his GPS antenna back for some updates. Hopefully, it will work after this update.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:37 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhokita View Post
Yeah, a friend of mine has a Naza system and is having all kinds of problems. Apparently lots of other people are having problems too. He just sent his GPS antenna back for some updates. Hopefully, it will work after this update.
you sure it is the GPS problem..? never heard NAZA GPS has any problem..
Yankeejammer is offline Find More Posts by Yankeejammer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:40 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Correction for above typo, I am not happy with my Naza M GPS.

I recently bought a Naza M with GPS along with a Flame 550. The hex is balanced perfectly and everything is hooked up perfect. The Naza was programmed perfectly using the software and the transmitter communicated perfectly with the controller and the computer program. The two 3 point switches activated the modes, fail safe, return to home perfectly.

I have viewed more than 10 instructional videos to verify that my hookups and programming are correct..Actually each of the videos was missing a different important point, so you have to watch several in order to put the whole picture together correctly.

End result, the GPS function is completely inoperative and I am very angry. I have read every post on the Naza, hundreds, and can only determine that their superior products are still a work in progress, overpriced, and nothing but just an over hyped mass produced China product that can have the typical manufacturing defects..

How many hours have you guys wasted? Actually based on what I have read you guys have wasted so many hours trying to make the DJI overpriced products get anywhere near working normally. It isn't really brain surgery, it's just that DJI wants you to think it is as a way of justifying their defects and inadequite instructions by transfering the problem to you, the customer.

So, you guys continue to explain the deficiencies as OK because you like tinkering and you learn allot.

OK so I got stuck with a defective GPS, big deal? Where is the guarantee for defective DJI products? I got one, where do I go? Do you guys see any DJI guarantees? I was already to pull the trigger on the Wookong M, but then I started to think, if I spent this amount of time on a defective Naza M GPS why take the chance on the next step up at much more money.

PS I am cancelling my order for the Phantom, I am pissed, can you tell? Our time is valuable, why help them to become good business people and beta test their products, they should be paying us.

For $399 out the window for the Naza, now I feel slightly better after venting.
who did you purchased from?
Yankeejammer is offline Find More Posts by Yankeejammer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:24 AM
Registered User
Australia, NSW, Mt Hutton
Joined Jul 2007
144 Posts
Not sure what you issue is as you don't actually say what is doing or not doing
a couple of suggestions
Down load the manual - read it
do a compass calibration
power up the 550 in the spot your taking off from
in GPS mode wait till you get the 7 green flashes
hope this helps
Cheers
Joe
joeb56 is offline Find More Posts by joeb56
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Thanks guys, maybe more info is needed, here are the facts:

1. Manual mode works perfect, hardly any trim needed, it flies like a heli. So, it is balanced almost perfect.

2. GPS and Alti, seems to acquire Sats, I take off when one red and one green. Immediately after leaving the ground it veers at a steep angle and wants to run away. Starts blinking yellow.

3. Moved the GPS antenna, same start up, only these times it takes off almost normal, but after 10 seconds it drifts away, auto lands blinking yellow..

4. Moved the GPS antenna again, same as result as 3.

I copied the exact position for GPS placement as several videos, controller placed in between the frame, centered, and wires placed in the right direction, 4,000 mah 4S placed on top., assistat was updated and written after each GPS move.

Perhaps the assistant software should also run a diagnostic to test the GPS. Better still, perhaps DJI should test every unit just like they plan to do with the Phantom.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Dec 27, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
Registered User
Australia, NSW, Mt Hutton
Joined Jul 2007
144 Posts
if your sure you have the compass claibrated and the values for the offset to centre in the assistant correct
Try waiting until you get the 7 green flashes and its blinking green only - may take 30 -45 seconds
worked for me - if i take of sooner I get the drifty happening
cheers
Joe
joeb56 is offline Find More Posts by joeb56
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
Begin with end in mind...
power's Avatar
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Thanks guys, maybe more info is needed, here are the facts:

1. Manual mode works perfect, hardly any trim needed, it flies like a heli. So, it is balanced almost perfect.

2. GPS and Alti, seems to acquire Sats, I take off when one red and one green. Immediately after leaving the ground it veers at a steep angle and wants to run away. Starts blinking yellow.

3. Moved the GPS antenna, same start up, only these times it takes off almost normal, but after 10 seconds it drifts away, auto lands blinking yellow..

4. Moved the GPS antenna again, same as result as

I copied the exact position for GPS placement as several videos, controller placed in between the frame, centered, and wires placed in the right direction, 4,000 mah 4S placed on top., assistat was updated and written after each GPS move.

Perhaps the assistant software should also run a diagnostic to test the GPS. Better still, perhaps DJI should test every unit just like they plan to do with the Phantom.
Your TX/RX or switches may be drifting in and out of the failsafe or from attitude to manual. When you set your switches up did you adjust the sliders so they were in the center of the range? I never take off until I get solid green blinking lights. This may take some time for a complete lock but it will. I have two Naza's and they are and have been rock solid. there are litererally hundreds if not thousands sold that are working well. The reason you may hear of issues is not because of inferior product it is the fact that there are so many sold compared to other boards. 99 percent of issues reported are setup related or some other component not working correctly. I do understand how frustrating these setups can get. You will get it, when you do you will love it

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
02deuce's Avatar
United States, Texas, Willis
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
Double check.

Yellow blinking lights means lost TX signal, has nothing to do with GPS. Double check your set up and do a radio check. I love my Naza, fly's almost as smooth as my Wookgong M . Here's a video of the Naza in FPV action.
TBS Discovery Texas FPV (7 min 13 sec)
02deuce is offline Find More Posts by 02deuce
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Loss of RX signal, not likely, flies on manual perfect.

One last thung, I will take the laptop out in the street and change the GPS XY and see if anything changes,

If no fix. I will retirn the whole thing to Helidirect for a repkacement.

Guys, thanks for your responses, I will report the outcome.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Registered User
02deuce's Avatar
United States, Texas, Willis
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Loss of RX signal, not likely, flies on manual perfect.

One last thung, I will take the laptop out in the street and change the GPS XY and see if anything changes,

If no fix. I will retirn the whole thing to Helidirect for a repkacement.

Guys, thanks for your responses, I will report the outcome.
Take a pic of your GPS placement and tell us what your XYZ offset numbers are.
Is your GPS mounted on the mast?
02deuce is offline Find More Posts by 02deuce
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:56 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,069 Posts
Hi Al,

Welcome to the wonderful world of MRC! Unlike other aspects of our hobby, multi-rotors can be very frustrating for the technically challenged.

There are some good suggestions here so you may want to follow up with a few photos of your GPS/Compass position and Assistant screen shots. Also, you never answered the question about calibrating the compass. Perhaps the Phantom would have been a better first quad choice but I know how impatient you can be.

Here is a link my NAZAfied H.A.L. thread on RCU. On RCG, it is scattered over many pages.
Turnigy H.A.L.

Regards.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,432 Posts
It is easier for gps to acquire satellites when stationary than when moving. I have been through this issue on planes even before Naza was introduced. I believe the Naza only shows the number of satellites acquired but not the signal strength, which determines how well they will be held during movement. If I'm wrong about the Naza not having this capability it really doesn't matter because to be useful the information needs to be available in the video link. Some OSD autopilot systems like the RVOSD show satellites acquired and signal strength with which you can see just how fast satellites can be lost once underway.
So why would the signal strength be low? Could be a bad Naza or gps unit but the most likely is RR interference from some other on-board electrical component. The simplest solution is to separate the gps module as much as possible from the video Tx, motors, power cables and ESC's as they all emit interference. You can either just begin changing things one at a time or get a PC application that can show signal strength on the bench but it require making a special connection cable and hacking into the Naza connections which is not for the faint hearted.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:50 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Hi Greg,

I'll take a look at your thread later, however I did do my homework on the Naza M, read and understand everything, and assembled this simple Flamewheel with nothing but the basic components, no FPV or camera.

The whole problem appears to be GPS related and I will try to move it around and change the setup setting. I have been thinking of ways to completely varify if it is faulty, moving it around should tell the tale. I will also download and install the drivers again. If no change in performance, it is faulty. If the Hex acts different with every move it could be something else.

Again thanks for the responses, this community is very supportive and helpfull.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
Registered User
02deuce's Avatar
United States, Texas, Willis
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Hi Greg,

I'll take a look at your thread later, however I did do my homework on the Naza M, read and understand everything, and assembled this simple Flamewheel with nothing but the basic components, no FPV or camera.

The whole problem appears to be GPS related and I will try to move it around and change the setup setting. I have been thinking of ways to completely varify if it is faulty, moving it around should tell the tale. I will also download and install the drivers again. If no change in performance, it is faulty. If the Hex acts different with every move it could be something else.

Again thanks for the responses, this community is very supportive and helpfull.
Fly it in Atti mode that has nothing to do with GPS. If it acting up in Atti mode then look at your equipment, I've had a bad/weak motor play absolute havoc with flight control very unstable a lot of drifting and toilet bowl effect.
02deuce is offline Find More Posts by 02deuce
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI OSD for NAZA GPS and WK-M ? Velociraptor73 Multirotor Electronics 31 Oct 12, 2012 10:00 PM
Wanted Wanted - Wookong M or Naza GPS wac Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Aug 15, 2012 11:14 AM
Discussion Crashed my new dji s800, 100%totally not my fault. I'm so friggn pissed off right now jasper7821 Multirotor Talk 137 Jun 13, 2012 10:46 AM
Discussion DJI Wookong M GPS does not work in Australia (for most) jdreitman Multirotor Talk 1 Apr 09, 2012 11:52 PM
Help! I'm not sure if I am getting anywhere with my BCP X3n0 Micro Helis 14 Aug 20, 2006 11:39 AM