SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:02 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Thanks guys. Back to the covering. I had forgotten what a PAIN it is to cover wings. I got the base covering on the bottom, and am going to checker board with the dark blue. The wing tips came out O K (not perfect), but they aren't too noticeable. I used Monocoat and didn't have any trouble, one of these days I will have to try Ultracoat and see how I like it. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:51 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,572 Posts
Looks good to me !!!
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,149 Posts
Looking good,you are on the down hill stretch You are gonna have a very nice airplane
I really hated covering when using Monocoat. I bought some Ultracoat,and started to actually enjoy covering. The only thing I use Monocoat for anymore is trim,when I can use a solvent concoction to put it down instead of heat.
And I won't work at covering for more than a couple hours. The longer I work at it in one setting the sloppier I get.

The trimsolvent brew only works on Monocoat glue. But it works for sticking Monocoat to Ultracoat (which is what I like to do). Or Monocoat to Monocoat. When using the solvent you don't have to worry about bubbles. And it sticks just as well ,or maybe better than heat
This is the "active ingrediant"
http://www.advantagehobby.com/41061/TOPTOPR6020/
I never figured out a way to use that stuff full strength. But mixed the brew way it works great.
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Last edited by Crowfly; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:49 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Crowfly,Thanxs for posting this trim tip.I'm gonna try it too.
sP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Crowfly, how do you make this brew? I did a little research on the trim solvent and it seems pretty difficult to use in that it sets up almost instantly. One tip was to use the Windex method and after 24 hrs or so run some Trim Solvent around the edges with a Q Tip. John
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:48 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
I am dead in the water right now. I started to cover the top of the wing with Monocoat Cream, and it just would not shrink. I riped it off and ordered a roll of Light Gray Ultracoat from Horizon. The Yellow and Blue went on just fine on the bottom, but the Cream was a completely different animal. The Yellow was a new roll from a recent order, the Blue was probably a year old but I have a new roll ready to open, I hope it is usable. Maybe I will start on my Checker Board. The fuselage will be Blue and Light Gray now, and the top of the wing will be the same. John
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:54 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,299 Posts
"and it just would not shrink"

I've heard of that quite frequently....send a sample back to "Tower" or whoever is # 1 there and get another roll or better yet, credit.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks01 View Post
Crowfly, how do you make this brew? I did a little research on the trim solvent and it seems pretty difficult to use in that it sets up almost instantly. One tip was to use the Windex method and after 24 hrs or so run some Trim Solvent around the edges with a Q Tip. John
You just go by the instructions in the PDF file. Someone else put it up here years ago. It isn't at all difficult to use if you mix up the brew.
I don't think I have let it set more than 2 or 3 days after mixing. That trim solvent evaporates pretty fast.
I see you orded some Ultracoat. It really will make covering easier. I suck at it,but Ultracoat makes a pain in the butt job a lot easier in my opinion
Fred
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:56 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Crowfly, I had trouble getting the PDF file but I finally got it. Here is what I got got for anyone else who had a problem "You can easily mix up a brew that will allow you to use the "wet" method to attach your Super Monokote trim (not the sticky-backed stuff) that is very easy to do and will not require any sealing with the iron when it's dry. In an old Windex or other spray bottle mix up about 4 oz. water, 2 or 3 oz. of denatured alcohol, a small amount of dishwashing liquid (about 8 or 10 drops) and about 1 to 1-1/2 oz of Trim Solvent. Shake it up good and spray it on the base covering, getting a even thin coat. Lay your Monokote trim (be sure to remove the clear plastic) onto the sprayed area and slide it around until it's in exactly the right position. Take a soft rubber squeegee (get these at the car parts place) and working from the center in all directions squeegee the liquid out until there are no bubbles or creases. Use paper towels to sop up the excess and then allow to dry at least four hours (depends on temp and humidity). The trim will be fastened to the base Monokote as if it were ironed on and won't come off."
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:59 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Tailskid, I just got off the phone with Tower. They are sending me a bottle of Trim Solvent no charge in place of another roll of Monocoat. Works O K for me. John
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,299 Posts
Good for you John!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,149 Posts
Remember,the trim solvent only sticks monocoat. It won't stick Ultracoat. It's kind of a shame.
Fred
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:49 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
I am counting on sticking the Monocoat (glue side) to the Ultracoat. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Feb 25, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Started on the checker board for the wing bottom today. Crowfly, a couple of hours is just about all I can handle too. I used a metal ruler to cut out the blocks. I cut a long strip off the roll the width of the ruler, then cut rulers width blocks going the the whole way down the strip, that way the blocks come out square. One block at a time I peal the backing off each block, Windex the wing, wipe the excess, place the block in place, and hit it with the iron. It is very time consuming, and if it weren't for the eye strain it wouldn't be so stressful. After a couple of hours I am ready to hang it up for the day. John
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:06 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Here's todays progress report, short and sweet. I finished the checker board on the Left wing bottom today. John