HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, MN, Waseca
Joined Jan 2011
129 Posts
John; if you want to tint the canopy I used black ritz die, and least that worked on mine. Some of the plastics have changed.

Tom.
twalther is online now Find More Posts by twalther
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:15 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Tom, I have already gotten this from my last care package from Tower Hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHH02&P=7 . John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:17 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,300 Posts
If the plastic will take a dye....go that route as spraying the INSIDE of the canopy can develop runs real easy
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:35 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
I attached the forward canopy block today and used Toms suggestion to use Rit Dye to tint the canopy. The first task was to build a tab for a magnet to hold the battery hatch down. I cut out a piece of Light Ply from scrap, cut out a matching piece of 1/16" balsa, drilled a hole in it the size of the round magnet (the magnet is 1/16" thick), and cut out a short piece of 1/16" balsa to use as a spacer. When I mount the battery hatch I will use a 1/16" piece of balsa with a hole for another magnet glued to the hatch (that is why I had to use a spacer on the tab). I used C A to attach the wood pieces and 6 minute epoxy to attach the magnet (after it was roughed up with sandpaper and cleaned with alcohol). I attached the block to the fuselage with thick CA and did my finish sanding/shaping. I boiled a pan of water, let it simmer, mixed in a whole pack of Rit Dye, allowed it to cool (so I could hold my hand against the pan), plopped in the canopy and let it soak for half an hour. It worked! In fact it came out real well, thanks for the advice Tom. John
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:09 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,300 Posts
Some plastics will NOT react to Rit Dye...I'm happy yours did....now do NOT glue in with CA - it will react with some plastics and turn brittle!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:29 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Tailskid, NO NO NO, I will not use C A for the canopy. I have some canopy glue, but it is old and the last time I used it it dried white. I will probably have to buy a new bottle. It is 100 miles round trip to my closest hobby shop, so it is cheaper to order on line from Tower or Horizon and pay the shipping. Too bad HURC doesn't carry canopy glue. John
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:09 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,300 Posts
Jbrooks, if you go to a local craft store, the same glue is offered - they use it for gluing items to fabrics and it is a lot cheaper!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,149 Posts
If you can come up with 50 dollars worth of stuff shipping is free at advantage.
Spending 50 bucks in this hobby isn't hard to do

http://www.advantagehobby.com/25569/PAAPT56/

Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:05 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Tailskid, we live in rural Western Pennsylvania. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and you couldn't get me out of here with a crowbar, but it is a 100 mile round trip to any town with a Mall or any stores like Michaels or Lowes. The closest Walmart and Hospital is a 25 mile round trip, but the town I live outside of is only 1 mile down the hill. We have a hardware store (small mom and pop), 2 bars, 1 grocery store, 2 gas stations, 2 Doctors, nine churches (within a 3 mile radius) and the town itself has a population of 987 people. I just grabbed my camera, stuck it out the front door and snapped a picture. No, I don't need to be closer to the Big Box stores (but sometimes it would be nice). Fred, I may have to start dealing with Advantage Hobby. Now, if you will excuse me, I think I will go outside and shovel some snow. John
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:27 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,300 Posts
Jbrooks, what is that white stuff in those pictures? <g> After living in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and a couple of other states.....YOU can have that snow But I bet your 'life-style' in the summer is greater than mine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:56 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
I actually have a building season. John
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:10 PM
WW I Flyer
Enid, OKlahoma
Joined Dec 2008
59 Posts
Back in the 80s when I was stationed in Germany, built several Smoothies. Great flying airplanes, I modified some to look like P-51, P-40 and an open cockpit racer. At that time the kits were about $25, what a deal.

Enjoy your build
Rich
jwrich is offline Find More Posts by jwrich
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:29 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,300 Posts
Hey John, I too have a building season....May through October! Unless I want to fly at 6 AM-10 AM

What I really miss is a nice rainy summer Saturday.....great day to build....but now I'm retired so I really don't have a weekend
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:41 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
All I got done today was making the battery tray. I cut out a piece of 1/16" Birch ply and attached it with #2 Socket Head Servo Screws to the rails I had previously installed. The battery tray will be removable allowing me access to the ESC. The next step is to do a battery hatch, but I am going to have to make a decision I have been dreading. Do I want to do a cowl or just cheeks (right now it looks like cheeks because they make more sense). Tailskid, also retired. John
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:22 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
826 Posts
Rich, sorry I missed your post. In 1971 I bought a C L Hellcat from the ships store (I was Navy) and put it together during a Med Cruse. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't very much. My Smoothie is just going to be a sport plane, but I can see how it can be done. John