HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
I attached the wing to the fuselage today. I drilled a 3/16" hole at the center of the leading edge, inserted the 3/16" dowel into the wing and marked 1/2" from the edge, removed the dowel, cut at the mark, rounded the tip and reinserted. Next I marked the center line in the forward bulkhead, set the wing in the wing saddle, and marked the hight of the dowel, I drilled a 3/16" hole in the bulkhead where the lines intersected and test fit the wing. I had to enlarge the hole in the wing to adjust the dowel for a proper fit. I used thick C A to glue in the dowel, test fit before it dried, and that part was done. I used 1/4" birch ply for the rear mounting block, sized and cut to fit. I carefully measured and marked the wing to drill the holes for the wing bolts, and still got it wrong (see picture). I set the wing in the saddle and positioned the mounting block so that the bolt holes wouldn't be too close to the edges, removed the wing and epoxyed the block to the fuselage sides. The directions say to measure from wing tip to tail equal on both sides, but they must be assuming that everything is square (too big an assumption for me). I set the wing in the saddle, set the airframe on its nose (firewall), measured equal distance to the L E, marked the center line on the aft wing and bulkhead #3, and drilled the holes through the wing and block. Because I used plywood instead of a hardwood block I decided to use Blind Nuts (T nuts), so I drilled out the mounting block to accommodate the 1/4"x20 T nuts, enlarged the holes in the wing to 1/4", and glued a 1/16" ply washer over the bolt area for support. It's starting to look like an airplane. Here are some pictures. John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:02 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,367 Posts
John, you sure do know how to use a square!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:11 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
Tailskid, that was the only way I could figure out how to do it. John
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
I skipped ahead and did the tailfeathers so that I would have them to test fit against the turtle deck bulkheads. The horizontal stabilizer was pretty interesting. A 1/2" x 1/4" x 5" balsa strip was joined to the end of the pre cut 1/4" stabilizer with 3/32" dowel pins and thick C A. A 1/4" pre cut tip was joined to that, one at each side. The 1/4" elevators are joined with a 1/4" dowel rod, cut to fit with the stab and elevators pined to the plans. I used thick C A to attach the dowel joiner, and everything came out pretty straight. John
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:11 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
I got the upper bulkheads, and one side of the turtledeck on before I have to do my chores. The bulkheads were no problem, just place, make sure they are straight, and C A. The 3/32" sides needed to be trimmed straight on the bottom and cut to shape on the top before I attached them. No problems. I used a sanding bar to finish up the top line even with the top of the bulkheads. As a note, I used some masking tape to prevent the sander from touching areas I didn't want to damage. Now to go walk the dog. John
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:08 PM
United States, MN, Waseca
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
John; who is walking who?
Tom.
twalther is online now Find More Posts by twalther
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:57 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
Finished putting the wood on the turtle deck today. I put the other 3/32" side on, trimmed the tops even with the bulkheads and used thick C A to attach the 1/2" thick top plate. I put masking tape on the sides to prevent sanding damage and sanded the top plate making it an extension of the sides. I had to take some off the top to make the plate even with the front of the vertical stabilizer. John
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:54 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
I rounded off the top of the turtle deck this morning using my trusty T Sander. the canopy fits well. the next step is to do something (???) with the big solid block of balsa for the front top of the fuselage. I am going to have to give this a lot of thought. John
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
John; what I did with mine is I sanded it to the shape I wanted it to be and then hollowed it out on the inside. You can tack glue in position and start grinding.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:17 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,367 Posts
I used a carrot trimmer/knife....it shaves balsa just like carrot's skin.....I had a paper bag from the grocery store filled with trimmings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
Tailskid2; what brand of carrot skinner did you use? John, you should mount your motor first with the spinner so you know where you need to be.

Tom.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks01 View Post
I sanded one wing tip block this morning. The first step was to draw a line, using tape to define the L E. Next I taped adjacent to the block I would be sanding to prevent damage to surrounding balsa. Using my sanding block and 120 grit sandpaper I sculpted the wing tip block into something presentable. One tip is finished, one to go. Here's a picture. John
Really like this technique. Kind of having a "why didn't I think of that?!" moment. I've been sanding down tips/leading edges and other assorted parts for a while now...and every now and again I damage an adjacent part. Never thought of using tape to protect and never thought of using tape to define an edge I need to match in my sanding. Thanks for the detailed thread!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,367 Posts
Carrots, potatoes, etc

twalther, here you go....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
Tailskid, I think a trip to the Dollar Store tomorrow is in the plans. I have allot of forming to do for the battery hatch cover. Tom, I will probably hollow out some of the battery hatch with a Dermal drum sander, how much weight do you think you saved? I am planing to do everything forward of the firewall when I decide how I can make it look good, right now I have no idea how to do it. Sireppu, These are techniques I have picked up over the years, glad you can use them. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:32 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
848 Posts
I had some 1/2" balsa sheet in my stash, so I used it for the cockpit floor. I cut a 3 1/8" length by 3" and glued it to the fuselage. Yes, I taped off areas I didn't want damaged by my sander and sanded to shape. Using my lexan scissors, I trimmed the canopy, cutting a curve at the front. I cut off a 3 1/4" piece from the top block insuring that all cuts were square. I sanded and shaped and shaped and sanded and sanded some more, then I sanded and sanded until I had a shape that looked about right. This will be the front canopy block and will be glued to the fuselage. I will do the final shaping of the block and fitting of the canopy tomorrow. John