122 Posts
One more time.http://s96.beta.photobucket.com/user...7b09b.jpg.html
twalther is offline Find More Posts by twalther
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
What beautiful workmanship. The silver covering is perfect, the boat is a work of art. I can't get anything to look that good. John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, MN, Waseca
Joined Jan 2011
122 Posts
Thanks John; Just wanted to give you a little inspiration thought you may like to see the boat.

Tom.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:49 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
Tom, I checked out the boat as it was on the link, Beautiful. I joined the fuselage sides today, making sure everything was straight by using squares and rulers. I lay one side on the plans and using thin C A I did the main bulkhead first (the one aft of the wing saddle), the firewall next, then the partial bulkhead 2 (forward wing saddle) aligning the parts on the lines I had drawn previously. Bulkhead 2 had to be trimmed and fitted as it was not build to the plans. I set the other side on a flat surface and set the fuse side with the bulkheads onto the other fuse side aligning the bulkheads with the lines on the unglued fuse side. Using three squares making sure everything was straight I used the thin C A to attach the other side. Starting to look like a fuselage now. John
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
122 Posts
Well John; I think you have done it now, I am going to look for my plans so I can build another wing with retracts, I will then have a covert-able!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:51 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,115 Posts
Now John watch when you bring the tail together - the 'softer' side will bend, the 'harder' side will try not to....don't ask how I know this
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Midwest Stik Build
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:08 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
Tailskid, I never have been able to get the tail perfect, but I usually get it "Good Enough" and sometimes it isn't even noticeable. Twalther, you are going to have to do some major engineering to put retracts on a Smoothie wing. Start a thread with plenty of pictures. John
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2011
122 Posts
John; I forgot to tell you, your plane is looking very good as for the retracts I don't think it will be that bad, I have done a lot more complicated things. I will let you know when I do it. I first get a pedal plane done for my new grandson. It will be a p-51, and I will be covering it with aluminum, am about to start covering. Can't wait to see what you come up for finish on your Mr. Smooth as they use to call it my club.

'
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
The next step would normally be to do the tail, but I decided to skip ahead and do the front fuselage bottom and landing gear block. I used 1/8" birch ply for the bottom and 1/4" ply for the L G block. I measured and cut the bottom plate to fit closely between the fuse side and against the doubler and bulkhead 2, butting against the firewall. For the landing gear block, I cut it to fit snugly between the fuse doublers and against bulkhead 2. I had to make a notch in the L G block to accommodate the wing mounting dowel when it comes time to mount the wing. I used plenty of 6 minute epoxy and glued everything together with a nice fillet. I just had to mount the landing gear, so I found a L G in my stash, aligned it up straight, drilled the holes into the mounting block, used 6-32 T nuts and socket head bolts, drew everything up tightly, set it with a drop of thin C A, and mounted the gear. The weight as pictured with the L G and 3" Dave Brown Lite Treaded wheels is 12 oz. Keep in mind the target weight of the covered fuselage with L G is 24 oz, maybe I can still do it. John
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:32 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
Twalther, put up a picture of the pedal plane when you are finished. I would like to see it. John
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
I put the last braces and bulkheads on the rear fuselage today. The tail is off by 1/16" due to the builder not being to see very well any more, but that will be close enough to correct when I do the vertical stabilizer. There is a bulkhead that the horizontal stabilizer butts against, and 2 sets (upper and lower) of 1/8 square braces at points along the fuselage. I tried to get it perfect, but it wasn't to be. Here's a picture. John
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:23 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,115 Posts
No banana there John, ya did good!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Midwest Stik Build
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
I installed my control rods today using Sullivan Golden Rod. Before I joined the fuse sides I had drilled and chamfered the sides where the rods are to exit, and glued some 1/4" square balsa sticks to mount the servo rails (see post 27). This worked out great, and one length of Golden Rod was enough to do both sides. The first thing I did was to mount the servo rails and servos insuring that the wing mounting plate would not interfere with installing the servos. Next I mixed up some 5 min epoxy, and put the outer sheaths into the fuselage, extending 1/4" into the servo bay and a couple inches out the side of the fuselage, then slathered on the epoxy inside the fuse at the exit point insuring that there was plenty of build up around the sheath. I put the control rods into the sheaths and aligned the rods with the outer hole on the servo arm, and C A d braces to the bulkhead insuring a nice smooth control rod travel. I put another brace further back the fuselage, trimmed the excess outer sheath with a razor blade, and that should be good enough. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
122 Posts
John; what are the servos that you are going to use? And when I get back to the pedal plane I will let you know.

Tom.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
786 Posts
Tom, I would normally use Hitec HS 225 s, but I found a compatible servo at Heads Up RC, their I Flight IS250PB. It has 62 1/2 oz torque and weighs less than one oz. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...PB-Mini/Detail I tested them with my servo tester and they all worked fine. This choice is is an experiment, and if they are trouble free I will be buying more of them. John