to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by japan3d View Post
Is it permissible to use JP-5 in our small turbines? Nato code F-44
As far as I know.... No... it's not OK. Or... at least I've never heard of anyone using it. It has a very high flash point... so it may not run properly... or it may run hot.

Generally speaking... the approved fuels are: Kerosene, Jet A (A1), JP-8, Paraffin, and White Spirits. (mineral spirits) Also... some engines allow diesel fuel to be used.

The problem with most military fuels (JP types) is that they are full of additives that the model turbines don't need. also... big turbines don't burn oil like we do... so some of those additives could be bad for the bearings, or keep the oil from properly mixing.

I'm sure your engine would run on JP-5... but who knows the long term effects. (you could kill the bearings quick, or erode the hot parts)
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
big turbines don't burn oil like we do...
Thats a good point I think about too. Useing turbine oil is a bit odd as our turbines don't use the oil as the big ones do. Useing turbine oil in our turbines are like useing 4stroke oil in the glow engines. Just don't make sense.

The most resonable oil to use would be some sort of 2stroke oil meant to burn with the fuel. Or investigate the need of oil at all(!) I was told by a turbine designer that the cheramic bearings don't need lube but cooling.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I was told by a turbine designer that the cheramic bearings don't need lube but cooling.
You first

The problem i have with that is the bearings are ceramic but the race ways are not!
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
You first

The problem i have with that is the bearings are ceramic but the race ways are not!
I think with Diesel it's no problem, I might try it. Specially the Diesel containing 5% Biodiesel. Also solenoids and pump needs some lubeing, maybe that's a reson too for the oiling of the fuel.

We don't know we just guess, assume and take alot of things for granted
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:42 AM
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Sep 2008
46 Posts
Turbine Oils

Since turbine oils discolour all the fuel tubing,does the tubing have to be replaced..?
chopper52 is offline Find More Posts by chopper52
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:36 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper52 View Post
Since turbine oils discolour all the fuel tubing,does the tubing have to be replaced..?
My longest serving jet is 8 years old, has done nearly 600 flights and still has all the original tubing.
H
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:52 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,113 Posts
No only looks bad, I have found since using DTE lite the tubing or tanks have not yet discoloured after about a year of use.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:33 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
DTE lite is what I switched to in my Rabbit, jetcat p20, kolibri, kingtech k80 k170, pst 1300r all have been run on diesel also.
ernie3873 is offline Find More Posts by ernie3873
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
I got four more can of AeroShell 500. Once its gone, I will be switching to DTE Lite. Most of my turbines are Jet Central, and believe Eric Clapp had mentioned to use a 5% instead of the 2.5% oil/fuel ratio if you switch to DTE Lite.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:19 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Like you Vantage.. I will run out of Aeroshell soon and then switch to DTE.

I would also like to switch to Diesel. If the engine runs 5% oil with karo.. Would the ratio stay the same with Diesel?

im guessing so..but just want to check first.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:32 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
If the engine runs 5% oil with karo.. Would the ratio stay the same with Diesel?

im guessing so..but just want to check first.

Check this link http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

Atleast the diesel found over here lubes better then Jet A fuel. So going with half the oil is fine for lubricity if your Diesel tests better then 460 in the HFRR test.

For example Frank turbines now recomends 1% 2 stroke oil when running on diesel.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Lockport NY
Joined Jan 2010
73 Posts
I have beenn running Shell Tellis 32 which is a direct cross over from DTE lite.Used 10 gallons of fuel 5% mix in a P-80SE checked the bearings and they are smooth as glass. The Shell costs me $46.00 for 5 gallon pail
toolmaker49 is offline Find More Posts by toolmaker49
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, NM, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2007
176 Posts
Henke, I guess that from reading these posts that you have not tried dte lite in any of your kolibri's other than the possibility that jetcat branded oil is actually dte lite. There is a preowned Kolibri T30 that I'm able to buy for the taft viper that I have ordered. I would like to run the T30 on Diesel and DTE lite like the jet central's that I have. What is your opinion on this? I also wonder if anyone has been able to substantiate weather jetcat oil is or is not dte lite.
luckyflyer is offline Find More Posts by luckyflyer
Last edited by luckyflyer; Oct 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:09 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyflyer View Post
Henke, I guess that from reading these posts that you have not tried dte lite in any of your kolibri's other than the possibility that jetcat branded oil is actually dte lite. There is a preowned Kolibri T30 that I'm able to buy for the taft viper that I have ordered. I would like to run the T30 on Diesel and DTE lite like the jet central's that I have. What is your opinion on this? I also wonder if anyone has been able to substantiate weather jetcat oil is or is not dte lite.
All friends around here now days fly only diesel + various oils. As it looks today I use outboardoil as it's meant to be burnt with the fuel and ventilated out via the exhaust. Outboard oil is not as good as racing 2 stroke oil in terms of lubricating in hot places, but it's put togeather to reduce the amount of soot as outboard engines often is ran at low rpm. (fishing for example) Perfect for tubine use.

Another friend uses diesel + jetcat oil also with great success.

Try to find diesel without biodiesel in it.