HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Question
Turbine oils....

What do you guys use? Mine came with a quart of Royco 560 in an orange can. I have looked online for this but all I can seem to find comes in a green can. MIL numbers are the same but there are additional letters that are not on this can I have. Is it just a revision? Thanks. I don't want to run the wrong stuff.It's a RAM 750 if that means anything. I'm still in the reading and learning phase of this adventure.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:08 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
I ran AeroShell 500 up until this season. I switched to Mobil DTE Lite.

The problem with real turbine oils is that they are toxic when burned. DTE Lite is not toxic, and there are a lot of guys that have been running it without problems.

Some companies allow synthetic 2-stroke oil... but they have a tendency of gumming up the bearings.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:06 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,673 Posts
I have been using Mobil DTE light for many years, longest running engine has now reached 65 hours still on original bearings. The DTE is cheaper than aero- turbine oil, doesn't contain the same very nasty organo-phosphates, and is sometimes used in full size ground-based gas turbines eg power generation.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,176 Posts
DTE Lite, dosnt seem to discolour the fuel tanks or pipes either
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,257 Posts
Yup.. I think everyone is switching to DTE. I have a few cans of aeroshell 500 left.. but once there gone, its DTE time
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
Morro Bay, Ca.
Joined Jul 2005
166 Posts
In the ram 1000 book I have it states to use a nato approved un number turbine oil exxon 2380 . BP I belive bought out exxon and they sell BP # 2380 turbine oil .
EAGLESTRIKE 1 is offline Find More Posts by EAGLESTRIKE 1
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:22 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
I used to run Jet A1 + 5% jetcat oil but switched over to Diesel + 2% Mobile1 outboard 2 stroke oil. This is for my Kolibris turning 245000rpm. Works very well so far with no problems at all.

The reson for switching over is the smell of Jet A1 is really bad in your home.(it smells really bad) Also it's hard to come over Jet A1 over here. For the oil there are no real reson for changeing, I do not use that amount so that the price matters, it is avalable at my local hobby shop and I don't think the jetcat oil is toxic. However the 2stroke oil has a distinct red color which makes it easy to see which fuel is oiled and which is clean. Maybe not a big deal but one pro any way :-)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,257 Posts
Henke... You have been using DTE for a while. I recall reading somewhere on RCU that JetCat oil is nothing more than DTE in a JetCat bottle and priced 3 times more. I could be wrong..

But if the Diesel and 2s oil is working for you.. Keep it up. I plan on trying Diesel and 2s on my RAM 750 next season. Ive read that many are doing it without issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Henke... You have been using DTE for a while. I recall reading somewhere on RCU that JetCat oil is nothing more than DTE in a JetCat bottle and priced 3 times more. I could be wrong..
First thing you have to ask yourself is are there some Oil company specifically manuf an oil for JetCat ? answer to that is obvious, so they must be re branding something that is commercially available.

Jetcat say dont use DTE use our oil instead!!
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
That... along with slow customer service... will keep me from buying a new JetCat.

When all the other companies say it's OK to use... then there is no reason JetCat should say no.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
I'll paste my post from RCU here too about oils and lubrication :-) With turbines of course there are more then just lubeing but I think this list might be useful as dieselfuel with additives also has to pass through small injector nozzles and go out with the exhaust via a cat and PF.

Intresting about the Biodiesel as a lubricant, cost the same as ordinary diesel over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
We have been running a number of engines on Diesel + 2% 2stroke oil for several years now with no problems. Where among the Lambert Kolibri(ALOT of hours) and Kingtechs. The thing with Jet A1 is that is IS Jet A1 no matter where you buy it. Diesel can be anything from Soy to almost Jet A1 like. But the problem over here is that the only fuel you can buy at a resonable price is Diesel. We are not able to buy Jet fuel in a simple way and Kero is only available in small bottles priced very high.

In Sweden Diesel have to meet a special standard on various points where among one is lubricity. Jet A1 is much dryer and does not lubricate as well (as some Diesel in USA if I understand it correctly.)

Diesel and Jet A1 is not tested with the same method. Diesel is tested by HFRR and Jet A1 by another standard. If my googleling is right I found that Jet A1 would score around 700 in a HFRR test. I do not know which HFRR Jet A1 + 5% turbine oil is tested to. But atleast Swedish Diesel has to be <460micron

Reading this document you can se a base line fuel of HFRR 636(almost like Jet A1) tested with diffrent lubes. Adding 2% biodiesel is by far the best lube making the wear go down to 221micron. 0.5% 2 stroke oil takes the base line fuel down to about the limit for Swedish standards.

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

Maybe this is not appliable on jet engine usage but I think it might give a hint on the lubricity.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:00 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
First thing you have to ask yourself is are there some Oil company specifically manuf an oil for JetCat ? answer to that is obvious, so they must be re branding something that is commercially available.

LOL.. Too True
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Quote:
LOL.. Too True
ordnung muss sein!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,257 Posts
huh!?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Quote:
huh!?
Just jokeing about the jetcatoil