SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Question
Fields Near Peoria AZ

Greetings,

I am headed to Peoria AZ in the next couple weeks, to visit family, and I would like to know if there are any near-by flying fields?

I'd like to bring my out my 35cc Extra 260 and a few electrics; so an electric-only field wouldn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,605 Posts
Hi Bob,

Depending on where in Peoria you may be staying the closest field is probably going to be that of the Arizona Radio Control Society (ARCS). It's a nice field with a paved runway about 60' x 600' and would be plenty of room for you Extra.

http://www.arcs1.com/

Your other options which are relatively close include the Arizona Model Pilots Society (AMPS) and the Sun Valley Fliers (SVF). Both offer terrific flying fields but both also have altitude restrictions due to being in proximity to a full size Airport. AMPS has a hard 400 foot rule and they are serious about enforcing it. SVF has a no sustained flight above 400 feet restriction but you can go higher for short periods.

http://www.ampsrc.com/

http://www.sunvalleyfliers.com/

I'd be happy to show you around when you get to town if you like and can even offer one other out of the way field which may interest you. It is a somewhat rough old patch of black top out in the middle of nowhere but offers just about unlimited sky with no crowds. Be happy to show you the way if you're interested. Drop me a note if you would like to talk.

Chad Veich
cwveich@cwvmodels.com
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
I would also invite you to the Cropduster's field.....101 and Thomas Road (near where 101 and I-10 meet on the west side of the greater Phoenix area.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
Hi Bob,

Depending on where in Peoria you may be staying the closest field is probably going to be that of the Arizona Radio Control Society (ARCS). It's a nice field with a paved runway about 60' x 600' and would be plenty of room for you Extra.

http://www.arcs1.com/

Your other options which are relatively close include the Arizona Model Pilots Society (AMPS) and the Sun Valley Fliers (SVF). Both offer terrific flying fields but both also have altitude restrictions due to being in proximity to a full size Airport. AMPS has a hard 400 foot rule and they are serious about enforcing it. SVF has a no sustained flight above 400 feet restriction but you can go higher for short periods.

http://www.ampsrc.com/

http://www.sunvalleyfliers.com/

I'd be happy to show you around when you get to town if you like and can even offer one other out of the way field which may interest you. It is a somewhat rough old patch of black top out in the middle of nowhere but offers just about unlimited sky with no crowds. Be happy to show you the way if you're interested. Drop me a note if you would like to talk.

Chad Veich
cwveich@cwvmodels.com
Hi Chad,

Thank you for the response! I will take you up on it and contact you after the first of the year.

It sounds like the best bet will be the Arizona Radio Control Society field since I am planning to bring at least one of my larger planes. It's not too big, 35cc Extra, but I'm certain I fly above 400 ft.

I will also bring a couple of my smaller aircraft giving me the opportunity to visit one of the other fields.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thank you again and have a great New Years!

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
I would also invite you to the Cropduster's field.....101 and Thomas Road (near where 101 and I-10 meet on the west side of the greater Phoenix area.
Hi Tailskid,

Thank you for the reply. Do they allow larger, gas airplanes?

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
I've got a 50cc Slick on the bench right now. I'm waiting to get my DA-60 for it; otherwise it's ready. If I can get it done before mid Jan, I will bring it too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmixon View Post
Hi Chad,

Thank you for the response! I will take you up on it and contact you after the first of the year.Bob

My pleasure Bob and I will look forward to hearing from you. SVF will be having an all warbird event the 18-20 of January if you have a warbird and would like to participate. Also, the Arizona Electric Festival is the last weekend in January. This event is growing into one of the larger all electric events in the country and is definitely worth attending. It is held at the Arizona Model Aviators field which is quite some distance from Peoria (East Mesa, about an hour drive or so.) but is probably the best flying venue in the greater Phoenix area. Just something to think about if you will be in town those weekends.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
The Cropdusters do NOT have any noise restrictions, nor altitude limits Unless some klutz flying a Airbus 320 decides to do a very low and long approach to PHX <g>

Jerry
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,112 Posts
I'm looking for a west valley field
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
Crash74, the CropDusters field is right beside the 101(to the west) and just south of Thomas Rd. We fly until about noon and we will be there Jan 1st

Enter where you would the Holiday Christmas show off 99th ave.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:54 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,112 Posts
Miles a buddy of mine fly's with you guys. I may come check it out. Thx
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
You are more than Welcome.....I REALLY like this club - sort of like a club that isn't NO DRAMA!!!! Just flying................................and a lot of BS'n.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:02 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,112 Posts
I have just always disliked the fact that the field is SO close to the freeway. God forbid you loose control/ signal and the plane flys into cars on the freeway. We all know AMA don't cover crap until after you loose you home and everything else...then they come into play....SCARY!!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:07 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
The runway is now further west and where it was, I agree with you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, AZ, Carefree
Joined Jul 2009
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
You are more than Welcome.....I REALLY like this club - sort of like a club that isn't NO DRAMA!!!! Just flying................................and a lot of BS'n.....
What??? A club with NO Drama and great flying, im jealous. LOL

I fly at (AMPS)
jmcmike is offline Find More Posts by jmcmike