Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
Discussion
Seagull glasair sportsman

Got this beauty for Christmas and can't wait to get building. Anyone build this model up? What was your engine choice?
bassfisha is offline Find More Posts by bassfisha
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
I put a saito 115 like the size and power fit perfict .Bought the floats to that why I got it .Very nice plane just don't like the covering starting to sag

put a saito 115, like the power bought the floats to very nice plane just don't like the covering it is starting to sag.Saito is a sweet motor small and a lot of power .More and more impressed with seagull airplane would like a 377 arf
bladebender is offline Find More Posts by bladebender
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
How's the fuel usage with it and flight times.? I was thinking of maybe a dle 20? Electric would get very expensive for batteries at this size.. All I have is a bunch of 2200 3s.

Definitely getting floats too.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
still building the plane should be done this week I hope , have run the motor in my p51 as long as you don't fly the hole flite at full throttle should not be to bad. Dle 20 should work good I would beef up firewall just put epoxy all over mine
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
well that saito 115 might not be a good idea hard to line up pushrod for throttle,but I got it.Now working on the wing slot for servo arms are off ,easy fix
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
I'm still toying with what to power this bird with.

Maybe electric, saito fg21 or 17, or a zenoah, dle... I like the sound of the saito but not the price. Got any build photos of how that engine looks? Looks to be plenty of space in that cowl. It's pretty large.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:30 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
engin fits fine will have to cut the cowl for the head of the fourstoke
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
How's the build going blade?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:10 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
have to many planes started .Put and engin in that new hanger9 super cub a dle35ra. Now back to the glasair cut the slot bigger in the wings so the servo arms fit going to order lites.Just not alot of time with work
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,343 Posts
Fa 115

A pic of my engine install and with the cowl on. Use the 90 manifold and you'll be cutting less.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
Mickel where is your throttle servo had a hard time with mine. Did you buy the float set with yours
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
Forgot to say looks good
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2008
117 Posts
Hi folks

Just picked up a Glasair Sportsman 2+2 75-91 ARF
by Seagull.

Wondering what other engines people have used. The Saito 115 sounds good except for the price. I am considering a gas 20cc engine. Anyone have experience with the xyz 20?

Wing loading is in the 35oz per sq foot and wondered how it flies. MAN article makes it sound like a floater, but that weight made me think it would fly heavy.

My first impression is that the airplane is very well made. It has a sculpted appearance with lots of compound curves which means it was probably labor intensive compared to some ARFs out there. Control surfaces are pre-hinged with pocket hinges and move very freely while keeping a tight fit against the wings and stabs. Control horns are composite and are to be epoxied into precut recesses in the control surfaces. Flaps included. Control rods appear to be carbon fiber. Separate servo for the tail wheel which is pull pull. Covering will need some iron and heat gun attention, and is not as good as some I've seen, but not too much. Two pilots included.

Mike
moto mike is offline Find More Posts by moto mike
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2008
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL View Post
A pic of my engine install and with the cowl on. Use the 90 manifold and you'll be cutting less.
Mickel
Seeing you live in a more temperate climate, I was wondering if you have maidened your Sportsman yet. The Saito looks nice in there.

Hoping to get some more dicussion going on this plane. Sort of surprised that not much is being said.

Mike
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2008
117 Posts
Blade Bender

could you discuss the problems you had with the throttle hook up and what you did to get around it? I'm still considering an engine.

Looking at the assembly manual, it is not clear what is holding the wings on.

thanks
Mike