D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:59 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,335 Posts
Look'in Great Nate!, I have a costumer who wants an EDF B-1 so I'm gonna learn as much as I can from you & the-Flex before I start my Swing-Bone.

Subbed up!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:06 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,780 Posts
subscribed
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:32 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Subscribed.

Just did twin Concorde 55mm EDF, might get started twin 55mm EDF B-1B once wife grants my "application of funds".
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:49 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Ok, so obviously it's been a year since I started this build. Well, as life would have it my business got very busy shortly afterward and left me with no time/energy to continue on. That being said I am now able to dedicate some time to picking the build back up.

I ordered and have received all of my initial components as far as ESC's, servos, fan units and motors and such. After I started looking at where I left off I and also applying the thought I had put into it over the past year I decided that I would have to start over from scratch. I obtained some new material on the B-1 in the form of a couple of books and some schematics from Rockwell to help with the progression. Now I am coming along with a test version that is intended to work the bugs out before getting into too much work in the physical detail. So that brings us up to speed if anyone is still interested of course. I will post some new pics of my progress this weekend.

Nate
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:31 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,004 Posts
Primate, here's a thread you might like to look over. Yes, it's bigger than yours and also a pusher prop, but a B-1 build none the less..

B-1 Bone ( Lancer ) Build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530405
(attachments are great!)

John Morgan is a/the premo scratch builder. Although my builds are "different" a lot can be /I have learned from his threads.
Best of luck on your build.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:32 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,293 Posts
Subscribed!!!
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Managed to get a little work done on the airframe last night and today. The nacelles on this test model are rectangular to save on build time. I want to get the basic airframe laid out so I can start working out how the wiring and control surfaces are going to work so I'll hold off on doing most of the outer skin until a bit later in the project.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Primate, here's a thread you might like to look over. Yes, it's bigger than yours and also a pusher prop, but a B-1 build none the less..

B-1 Bone ( Lancer ) Build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530405
(attachments are great!)

John Morgan is a/the premo scratch builder. Although my builds are "different" a lot can be /I have learned from his threads.
Best of luck on your build.
Thanks for that link Cooler. At this point it doesn't matter to me if a person's B-1 build is pusher prop, turbine or EDF, I soak up as much info as I can since there are relatively very few projects of this model. I still have yet to see B-1 Bob's fly. I don't know if it ever did but I came across a hand full of videos of one that looks like the one he built but it's white and before takeoff it blew a tire on the rough surface of the dry lake bed.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:51 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Hey life happens but glad you have the opportunity to start it back up. Looking forward to watching this progress.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
layered a couple sections of foam to support the pivot points and glued in some carbon fiber tubing for the pins. I also started to do some cross sections to help bring the shape together and add some strength. I am currently at 56g total with the nacelles and my running gear including battery comes out to about 160g so I think I should have another 50g give or take to finish the airframe and be ok for a 1:1 thrust:weight ratio but I'll have to see when everything comes together.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
This stinking sweep wing linkage and whatnot is proving to be somewhat frustrating. I wanted to get it working before work but ran out of time. I tested one wing while holding the servo in place and it seemed to work ok but the weight is starting to pile up even while using carbon fiber plate and rods. Oh well, work in progress...

Nate
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Ok. I managed to sort out my difficulties with the swing wing situation and it seems to work pretty good now. Obviously it isn't scale transition speed but I think I'll buy one of those adjustable servo speed deals in the near future.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:09 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,083 Posts
Why don't you hook it up to the flap channel? Then you can adjust the sweep slowly and also leave it at in between settings.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo