SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
I'm on the fence between this one and the Super CP as my second CP (have nano cpx with dx4e). Waiting to see some better prices. Does this TX not have dual rates? That may be somewhat of an issue if attempting to fly inside house. Does the inverted control mode work very well? I'm to the point flipping is pretty easy (outside), but the backwards controls is my struggle right now when attempting to fly inverted. Just wondering if this special mode could be flipped into and out of fast enough to use it to help learn the correct inverted controls, or if it would just make it more confusing.
The transmitter does not have dual rates. If you are serious in learning 3D, I would avoid the "basic 3D mode" altogether. It will make it much worse for you in the long term as you will have unlearn everything. That will just lead to many unnecessary crashes.

From what I have read about the Nano CPX, I suspect that the V922 will fly quite like it. The Mini CP is by far the most stable inverted trainer I have ever flown, much more so than the mCPX, Genius CP and the V922. I presume the Super CP will have similar properties. Another point to consider is that if you get a transmitter like the Devo 10, it could be flashed with a third party firmware that will allow you to control you Nano CPX. So that you will have a programmable transmitter for the Nano CPX as well.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Jan 01, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:54 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
The "L" mode should be avoided. It's only useful for a beginner to show off to others that inverted flight is possible but in fact, he does not have the skills to do so. It is only good for flying inverted for extended periods, i.e. flying it inverted but using upright flight controls. Other than putting up a false front, why would anyone want to fly inverted as if it was flying upright?

I would think that the Nano CPX is lighter so it may be more durable for inverted training. But the best way to learn, may be to build an inverted flight training gear.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshkong View Post
For flybar helis, when you want to move the plane forward, you have to keep push the elevator down to make the nose pitch down to move forward. However, if you ever try the same thing on a flybarless heli, you will find that the bird keep accelerating. The difference comes of the computer on board the bird. Flybarless heli essentially is a fly-by-wire system, the micro computer on the main-board will interpret the signal from the pilot before sending out the control signal to the servos. So when you keep pressing the control down, the computer will interpret it as you want to accelerate. The correct way to do it is apply a little bit forward elevator, and immediately apply a little bit backward elevator.

(sorry, my language is not good enough to describe it, but what I want to say is flying a flybar and a flybarless heli is very different)
What you have described is a heli with a 45 degrees offset flybar which has self-stabilizing properties. Helis with 90 degrees flybar behave in exactly the same way as FBL helicopters behave. In fact, FBL helicopters are much easier to fly than those with a 90 degrees flybar. Some Walkera helicopters with 6 axis gyros do have some self-stabilizing properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementary View Post
I am not an expert, but I can easily fly my Walkera Genius CP in my living room

Because of the V922 transmitter is without DR/EXP, I will need a gymnasium before I get the V922 into the air so I can trim it or find out its problem

The V922 has a bad case of instability and without DR/EXP the problem nearly unmanageable in my living room.

I was planning to buy a Mini CP BNF for my second 100 size, wish I had...

I though giving the V922 a try would be okay considering it is an e-flite clone...

I consider the V922 a e-flite clown...
I just flew my mCPX today and that flew much worse that the V922. If anything, it is the mCPX which is the clown. I found the Genius quite difficult to handle indoors as well, I wonder if you have been flying it in the 6 axis mode? There is a transmitter module by HiSky that will allow you to use your Devo transmitter. I am not sure whether it is available on its own yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macem View Post
a programmable tx is not as important as somebody could believe... on the contrary: people slow down their learning-progress by changing the tx-settings everey five minutes... most non-programmable tx have the best beginner-settings allready installed - of course there are exeptional cases...
I agree with you but the heli concerned must be quite stable in the first place. I think D/R are much useful to beginners than curves. Even the DX4e has pre-programmed D/R and Expo. Wl Toys products are quite often sold in shopping malls and flea markets. There are people who have never flown a heli before but will just ask for the best and most capable that the vendor has got.
Last edited by zadaw; Jan 01, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
"L" vs "H" Mode

Check out Dan (on Banggood) aka thxkid (on Youtube) believes that "L" activates low rate while "H" activates high rate.
"I can actually see (with the kill switch on) the servos move a slight more movement in H mode over L mode, maybe its how wltoys setup the helo or TX, dont know but I switched it from L to H 5 to 6 times just to make sure and there is a slight movement and when inside when in H mode it takes alot more on the sticks to keep in hovering over the L mode"
I read the Chinese and English descriptions in the manual several times but I couldn't find any sort of explanation for this. The role of "L" vs "H" is for reversing / inversing the controls for inverted flight. I've also tested it myself and found no difference in the sensitivity of controls between the two modes.

Is there really a difference in stick sensitivity (different rate and/or expo?) between "L" and "H" modes?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:38 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Check out Dan (on Banggood) aka thxkid (on Youtube) believes that "L" activates low rate while "H" activates high rate.
"I can actually see (with the kill switch on) the servos move a slight more movement in H mode over L mode, maybe its how wltoys setup the helo or TX, dont know but I switched it from L to H 5 to 6 times just to make sure and there is a slight movement and when inside when in H mode it takes alot more on the sticks to keep in hovering over the L mode"
I read the Chinese and English descriptions in the manual several times but I couldn't find any sort of explanation for this. The role of "L" vs "H" is for reversing / inversing the controls for inverted flight. I've also tested it myself and found no difference in the sensitivity of controls between the two modes.

Is there really a difference in stick sensitivity (different rate and/or expo?) between "L" and "H" modes?
He implies that the transmitter is automatically set to low rate when it is in basic 3D mode and high rates when it is in advanced 3D mode. This does make sense as those using advanced 3D mode are unlikely to use lower rates. I wonder if you could check this out on your heli? My board is burnt so I cannot do it right now.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
I brought this up because you stated there is no D/R functionality for this TX. The moment I saw his comment, I thought it made sense because "L" = Low and "H" = High. So I tried the two modes but I could not feel any difference.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2008
163 Posts
You guys are making me want to buy a V922 right now. Is $99 the expected good price at this time?
flightsfancy is offline Find More Posts by flightsfancy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2008
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I brought this up because you stated there is no D/R functionality for this TX. The moment I saw his comment, I thought it made sense because "L" = Low and "H" = High. So I tried the two modes but I could not feel any difference.
I'm wondering if we could do a resistor mod to implement some D/R and/or Expo.
flightsfancy is offline Find More Posts by flightsfancy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
The street price in Hong Kong is $84, I would have thought that a shipping cost of $15 is very reasonable, especially since Internet prices are usually higher than street prices in Hong Kong.

It may still be worth checking out in flight whether there are any differences in feel between L an H modes.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
Found the V922 problem

After very close scrutiny of the v922 I found a screw on the receiver board was a loose.

Figuring the gyro was getting bad vibes, I leveled receiver board and snugged the screws.

Added a warp of masking tape to bottom of the tray to insure the battery was not vibrating and reset blade tension...

Now it is a flyable V922

I would be happier with a indoor setting of 75 - 80 DR and 35 - 40 EXP.

Now a slight move on the sticks sends it from the big screen TV into the fireplace... guess I am spoiled by the softer settings on my Genius CP

I will be changing the Main Blades to some without the bullets, I think that would settle it down a little...

I hope some electronic genius comes up with a resistor mod like the very early v911's needed
elementary is offline Find More Posts by elementary
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
After very close scrutiny of the v922 I found a screw on the receiver board was a loose.

Figuring the gyro was getting bad vibes, I leveled receiver board and snugged the screws.

Added a warp of masking tape to bottom of the tray to insure the battery was not vibrating and reset blade tension...

Now it is a flyable V922

I would be happier with a indoor setting of 75 - 80 DR and 35 - 40 EXP.

Now a slight move on the sticks sends it from the big screen TV into the fireplace... guess I am spoiled by the softer settings on my Genius CP

I will be changing the Main Blades to some without the bullets, I think that would settle it down a little...

I hope some electronic genius comes up with a resistor mod like the very early v911's needed
I found that the yellow KBDD blades make the V922 much more stable.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:27 PM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Apr 2012
112 Posts
Very nice review.
This heli is the MCPX clone!!!
Jsejalisco is offline Find More Posts by Jsejalisco
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
I cannot share the enthusiasm torward the V922

I have spend the day flying the Genius and V922 and can complement the V922 on its stability.

The merits of the V922 are blemished by the toy transmitter which in my opinion WILL DISAPPOINT those who are buying the V922 to learn CP

The TX control sensitivity is like my Devo on 100% but the control touch is like a $20 transmitter

Why in the world did they make the v922 receiver that was not compatible with 9x or Devo and ruin a otherwise promising 100 size helicopter

So you know, I asked a a good v911 pilot to fly both the Genius and the V922,

He crashed both, but he could fly the Genius some during the second battery and he did not destroy the Genius... unlike the v922

The V922 crashed hard on his third lift-off splitting the boom and destroying the battery connector and who knows what else

I will not bother to fix the v922 until there is a transmitter solution, I did not enjoy flying it

The Genius is still flying and my next 100 size will be a Mini CP that I will install a Genius motor for longer flying times and honing my flying skills...

I think I wasted $100 on the v922
elementary is offline Find More Posts by elementary
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:52 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:

The merits of the V922 are blemished by the toy transmitter which in my opinion WILL DISAPPOINT those who are buying the V922 to learn CP

The TX control sensitivity is like my Devo on 100% but the control touch is like a $20 transmitter

Why in the world did they make the v922 receiver that was not compatible with 9x or Devo and ruin a otherwise promising 100 size helicopter

So you know, I asked a a good v911 pilot to fly both the Genius and the V922,

He crashed both, but he could fly the Genius some during the second battery and he did not destroy the Genius... unlike the v922

The V922 crashed hard on his third lift-off splitting the boom and destroying the battery connector and who knows what else

I will not bother to fix the v922 until there is a transmitter solution, I did not enjoy flying it

The Genius is still flying and my next 100 size will be a Mini CP that I will install a Genius motor for longer flying times and honing my flying skills...

I think I wasted $100 on the v922

Well that's disconcerting.
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
815 Posts
Quote:

If you have the Genius, why are you getting the mini-CP?
Lentar is online now Find More Posts by Lentar