SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:48 PM
Registered User
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2013
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
I had to replace the tail motor on my 922. First even though I checked before taking it apart I saw (at the tail) white wire from tail was to the redder wire of the long tail wires(the winding wire) so soldered it the same and it was backwards, the motor spun counter clockwise. Unsoldered and redid it now all works. I do however, have some taileag twitchyness now. Anybody got an idea as to why? All the solder work seems fine, no gobs, not to much solder, etc. So I am lost had no tailwag prior to replacing the motor. I did add one of those green HBL tails, could that be it? Haven't had time to try the stock tail rotor again so will later.
I found one of my batteries was getting a bit puffy and that caused tail wag. Really noticible during pitch pumps. Could be that?
EchoRaven is online now Find More Posts by EchoRaven
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:21 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjohn View Post
+1. You can save a few dollars by shopping at platboyz.com. I have a 2mm square tube and a 3mm round tube coming.

@hawaiichopper - do the tubes from RCfoam last a bit longer or much longer?
Haven't tried one yet. Waiting for this final boom to crack, as it will I'm sure. On the "stock" booms I see a fine line on each side, and that's where they crack. On RC Foam square tubing, no fine lines or seams are visible. Initially the stock booms cracked all the way along the "seam". I covered most of the boom with shrink wrap, then they cracked on the seam where the wrap was not present; cracked even inside the receiver on the frame.
BTW, small gauge wires from the USB cable work fine for tail wires and are flexible.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:23 AM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,213 Posts
All my batteries are good so I don't think thats it. I was wondering if the green tail rotor(not sure if it's fbl 100 or which) may be the cause. I have not had time to switch back to the stock one yet. Too much chaos at my house
jack herr is offline Find More Posts by jack herr
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:26 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,350 Posts
Tail blow out

I keep getting tail blow out during high speed banked turns / figure-8s. As part of my quest to eliminate this, I changed the following:

1. New and old batteries*
2. Tail motor
3. Receiver board

After changing the parts and tail blow out still persists. I suspect it is caused by poor collective management. I put my V922 under a lot of stress when I switch to Idle-Up, then pull high collective and cyclic together, to execute a high speed turn. When that happens, too much current is drawn by the main motor resulting a sudden loss of current for the tail motor.

I may have to be gentler on my V922. Does anyone else encounter tail blow out like me? Or does the tail holds fine no matter how hard you push your V922?

* I have not tried the 45C Nanotech batteries. Hmmm... that may help!
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:51 PM
Registered User
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2013
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I keep getting tail blow out during high speed banked turns / figure-8s. As part of my quest to eliminate this, I changed the following:

1. New and old batteries*
2. Tail motor
3. Receiver board

After changing the parts and tail blow out still persists. I suspect it is caused by poor collective management. I put my V922 under a lot of stress when I switch to Idle-Up, then pull high collective and cyclic together, to execute a high speed turn. When that happens, too much current is drawn by the main motor resulting a sudden loss of current for the tail motor.

I may have to be gentler on my V922. Does anyone else encounter tail blow out like me? Or does the tail holds fine no matter how hard you push your V922?

* I have not tried the 45C Nanotech batteries. Hmmm... that may help!

Im waiting on my new battery's but judging by the first thing to go on my heli with bad lipos was the tail. Then its reasonable to assume higher c batteries will help with the tail. Look forward to you trying your 45c batteries out.
EchoRaven is online now Find More Posts by EchoRaven
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:33 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
All my batteries are good so I don't think thats it. I was wondering if the green tail rotor(not sure if it's fbl 100 or which) may be the cause. I have not had time to switch back to the stock one yet. Too much chaos at my house
I've tried both tail rotor colors and saw no difference - still got a bit of tail wag every so often. The stock boom split again with no crashes being the cause. A replacement carbon fiber boom (from RC Foam tubing stock) cut to 122mm with a v939 motor is ready for a try when the wind settles. Thought I'd try a shorter boom with a stronger motor.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:13 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Well, the intermittent tail wag is still there even with the v939 motor and slightly shorter boom. Same story for stock motor. But the replacement boom is okay so far. Guess it's the nature of the beast with the stock TX.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:37 AM
Registered User
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2013
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
Well, the intermittent tail wag is still there even with the v939 motor and slightly shorter boom. Same story for stock motor. But the replacement boom is okay so far. Guess it's the nature of the beast with the stock TX.
Has anyone here had much success with the ht8 module considering that and the new 9xr tax from HobbyKing. Everything i have seen so far doesn't indicate much success.
EchoRaven is online now Find More Posts by EchoRaven
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2013
10 Posts
I got a 922 about 4 days now and as i had never flown 4ch helis (yes i did a big upgrade from coaxial cause didn't want to spend money) and i've crashed it almost 40 times i guess. The main frame broke, skids are gone and tail boom broke (im still using it with heatshrink tube) and my tail motor started to fail during flights and im waiting for a new one to arrive. I did a lot of modifications with some parts from the coax old heli and i think that if the weight of extra metal parts doesnt affect it too much it will be a lot stronger! as for 3d i dont know anything so i cant tell how it is affected by extra weight. Some pics to give you guys idea of what i am talking about! cheers
c1sn3 is offline Find More Posts by c1sn3
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:44 AM
Registered User
sparkyjohn's Avatar
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
Servo v2 doesn't fit

Strangest thing. I finally had to replace one of my (original) servos with a V922 replacement, it does not fit the frame!

The original has a little cut out on the right side of the board:



That lets it fit despite the canopy post (right side of the heli):



However the new (v2) servo board doesn't have the cut out on the right side:



I had to switch the servos around so I can use the new servo (I put it on the left side which doesn't have the canopy mounting pin get in the way, and used that old v1 servo on the right side). Not quite sure what to do when my last v1 servo board dies out...
sparkyjohn is offline Find More Posts by sparkyjohn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:22 AM
Registered User
sparkyjohn's Avatar
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
I had to replace the tail motor on my 922. First even though I checked before taking it apart I saw (at the tail) white wire from tail was to the redder wire of the long tail wires(the winding wire) so soldered it the same and it was backwards, the motor spun counter clockwise. Unsoldered and redid it now all works. I do however, have some taileag twitchyness now. Anybody got an idea as to why? All the solder work seems fine, no gobs, not to much solder, etc. So I am lost had no tailwag prior to replacing the motor. I did add one of those green HBL tails, could that be it? Haven't had time to try the stock tail rotor again so will later.
hmm. both of my HiSKYs have tail motors that spin CCW... the black wire goes to the red/coated wire, the white wire goes to the copper/bare wire. could it be your rotor blade is reversed? (or maybe out of the box the V922 rotor blade is reversed compared to the HiSKY)

by the way, the wires are not as long as what banggood shows on their product photo, it's at most only an inch long:



i also just recently tried the shorter but higher pitch KBDD Extreme Edition tail rotor blade:



the piros are a lot more zippy but for some reason the handling has gone terribly bad (tail drifts, TBOs on pitch pumps, etc.)
sparkyjohn is offline Find More Posts by sparkyjohn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
...
After changing the parts and tail blow out still persists. I suspect it is caused by poor collective management. ...
i noticed wear of main motor after 100-200 flights causing weaker flightperformance at all, accumulation of tailblow outs, less tolerance on collective-pitch-mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1sn3 View Post
I got a 922 about 4 days now and as i had never flown 4ch helis ...
its a big step indeed... 4 months would have been the real time period

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjohn View Post
Strangest thing. I finally had to replace one of my (original) servos with a V922 replacement, it does not fit the frame!

The original has a little cut out on the right side of the board:
...
really strange... i am going to controling my replacement-servos in the evening...

macem
macem is offline Find More Posts by macem
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
I broke 2 tail rotors and a tail boom yesterday so I'm out of commission for a bit with the v922. I cannot successfully complete a flip to inverted flight. Too big of a chicken to try with the FBL-100 as I haven't crashed it yet. May have to resort to a sim...
desertfoxx is offline Find More Posts by desertfoxx
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfoxx View Post
I broke 2 tail rotors and a tail boom yesterday so I'm out of commission for a bit with the v922. I cannot successfully complete a flip to inverted flight. Too big of a chicken to try with the FBL-100 as I haven't crashed it yet. May have to resort to a sim...
...tip for next try - tail over head (push nick) is easier to flip than head over tail (pull nick)... macem
macem is offline Find More Posts by macem
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macem View Post
...tip for next try - tail over head (push nick) is easier to flip than head over tail (pull nick)... macem
so, in other words ... to flip forward is easier than to flip backwards ???
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review WLtoys V929 Beetle Ladybird Quad Mini-Review FyreSG Mini Multirotors 3754 Oct 16, 2014 09:31 PM
Mini-Review The Walkera SUPER FP review (4 Channel Flybarless fixed pitch helicopter) jameschen072 Micro Helis 471 Mar 14, 2014 11:28 AM
Discussion HiSKY FBL100/ WLToys V922 Preliminary findings thread jameschen072 Micro Helis 175 May 20, 2013 08:26 AM
Discussion Walkera Mini CP 3D Flybarless RC Helicopter glybytony Mini Helis 3 Oct 13, 2012 12:01 AM