I did put the flaps.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
Great! But could you add flaps to the TDR one as well?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
I found this neat contraption to train inverted flight.

Blade mCPX Inverted Training Gear (2 min 30 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
Take note of the Beginner's Mode!

Recap:

"H" - traditional stunt mode, means no inverting of controls.
"L" - WLtoys stunt mode, means inverting of controls.

Here's what I discovered:

I set to "L" mode and hovered at Normal mode (Idle-Up not activated). As it was hovering, throttle stick is at 65%. The moment I activated Idle-Up, the helicopter accelerates towards the ground. It crashed downwards very quickly. I didn't believe it and tried again. It smashed into the ground again. Fortunately I tried it over a grassy field and only cracked the boom (no more spare booms left).

It seems like while the TX is in "L" mode and throttle stick is at 65%, the moment Idle-Up is activated, pitch becomes negative. Apparently, the helicopter is expected to be already inverted in this mode.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
It was great to fly my V922 outdoors!!! I started low and slow for the camera.

WLtoys V922 6-Channel Flybarless Micro Helicopter - Outdoor Flight #1 (3 min 0 sec)

After the recording the video, I activated Idle-Up for some high speed action! It was awesome!!! As this was the first time I flew a micro CP, its high speed and agility was a pleasant surprise.

Then I tried flipping it for inverted flight. Somehow, it was much more difficult than on simulators. I crashed 3 to 4 times before getting the hang of it. Soon, not only could I fly it inverted, I was flipping my V922 at 5-second intervals.

And shortly I got the hang of flips, the heli ran out of juice. I don't think two batteries are enough so I ordered 3 x 45C to 95C nano-techs. It's gonna be a long wait!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:46 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Recap:

"H" - traditional stunt mode, means no inverting of controls.
"L" - WLtoys stunt mode, means inverting of controls.

Here's what I discovered:

I set to "L" mode and hovered at Normal mode (Idle-Up not activated). As it was hovering, throttle stick is at 65%. The moment I activated Idle-Up, the helicopter accelerates towards the ground. It crashed downwards very quickly. I didn't believe it and tried again. It smashed into the ground again. Fortunately I tried it over a grassy field and only cracked the boom (no more spare booms left).

It seems like while the TX is in "L" mode and throttle stick is at 65%, the moment Idle-Up is activated, pitch becomes negative. Apparently, the helicopter is expected to be already inverted in this mode.
Well, I read in some post that WLToys supposedly had "invented" a mode where you can fly inverted, but the controls would be "conventional" - to make inverted flying easy for beginners.
Looks like you found it! (or better, the proof that this statement, as little sense as it made to me at the time I read it, is the obvious truth ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
"L" Mode

I should have read the manual to fully understand how the automatic inverting of controls is implemented. I had known what it was before my V922 arrived, but not exactly sure how to use it. As the Chinglish didn't make sense to me, I read the Chinese instructions. Below is my translation for page 12, Section 5:

Switch to "L" mode (Beginner's Mode). Fly the helicopter at Normal mode (non-IU). Send the helicopter to a suitable height in preparation for the flip.

Flip the helicopter with full aileron or elevator input (at Normal mode). The moment that the helicopter is inverted, activate Idle-Up. From then on, the pilot can fly the inverted helicopter as if it was flying upright.

I'm not sure if this feature is such a good idea.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
Power Up v.s. Binding

I'm not sure if I understood the two procedures correctly.

Normal Power Up

Ensure that the Idle-Up and Throttle Hold are disabled, throttle stick is at 0%.

Power on the TX then connect the battery to the helicopter then place it on a level surface. If it does not bind, refer to the binding procedure below.

Bind V922 to transmitter

Ensure that the Idle-Up and Throttle Hold are disabled, throttle stick is at 0%.

Power on the TX then connect the battery to the helicopter then place it on a level surface.
(It's exactly the same as normal power up!)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
I should have read the manual to fully understand how the automatic inverting of controls is implemented. I had known what it was before my V922 arrived, but not exactly sure how to use it. As the Chinglish didn't make sense to me, I read the Chinese instructions. Below is my translation for page 12, Section 5:

Switch to "L" mode (Beginner's Mode). Fly the helicopter at Normal mode (non-IU). Send the helicopter to a suitable height in preparation for the flip.

Flip the helicopter with full aileron or elevator input (at Normal mode). The moment that the helicopter is inverted, activate Idle-Up. From then on, the pilot can fly the inverted helicopter as if it was flying upright.

I'm not sure if this feature is such a good idea.
Well, probably not for nowadays diehard heli freaks ... but look at how society as a whole generally react (and I do not want to exclude myself): ALWAYS pick the easiest way/path of least resistance.
As far as the learning curve is concerned, path of least resistance most definitely is, if - after kind of flipping a switch - everything stays the same. So if ANY other heli manufacturers adopt this, it WILL change the way helis are flown.
Wouldnt you think it is much easier if you just have to think of ONE single way of controlling your heli, NO MATTER if the rotor points up or down?
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Wouldnt you think it is much easier if you just have to think of ONE single way of controlling your heli, NO MATTER if the rotor points up or down?
This trick is only useful for pure inverted flight. It wouldn't work for 3D moves. Let's take basic flips for example. How would the pilot execute consecutive flips in this mode? He would have to keep flipping between Normal and Idle-Up! Doing so in "L" mode is much harder than in "H" mode - the pilot only needs to move the throttle/pitch stick and not flick the Normal/Idle-Up switch.

I don't find flying inverted particularly fun. But I enjoy doing simple tricks like flips.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
I can understand why WL Toys added this gimmick. Flipping is very easy but it takes a lot of determination and perseverance to do a sustained inverted hover. It takes just as much again to fly inverted circuits. It took me 9 months on and off on a SIM before I could do a sustained inverted hover. It took another few months and many many crashes before I could do inverted circuits. Because that was so hard won, I now spend most of the time inverted with my flights.

I would say that the V922 is a good heli to learn how to do flips. However, there are much more stable helis around to learn inverted flight. The Mini CP stands out in that regard.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
Would the Skyartec Wasp Nano CP tail boom fit V922? It's only $1.58 for a set of two tail booms.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...7-p-57830.html
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
217 Posts
Quote:
Would the Skyartec Wasp Nano CP tail boom fit V922? It's only $1.58 for a set of two tail booms.

No. FBL100/V922 (it's the same heli) tail boom is 2mm like Walkera Mini CP.
As Skyartec and a vendor said Skyartec Nano CP tail boom is 2.5mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyartec View Post
some parts fit with mini cp like rotor blade,
Nano cp tail motor is 7mm,and tailboon is 2.5mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterence View Post
MiniCP's tailboom is 2x2mm. Wasp's one is 2.5x2.5mm.
helicopter_new is offline Find More Posts by helicopter_new
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,432 Posts
Thanks, I almost ordered it. Looks like I'll just order the V911 tail booms as it definitely fits.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2-...t-p-38560.html
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:42 PM View Post
weerertyfy
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.