HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:34 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,108 Posts
Thanks. Ok great, I'll find some nice TDR MCPX canopies for my V922. Daryoon made a great white/red TDR canopy for his V929. I like that color scheme. If only I could find a MCPX paper canopy with that design! It should work well for my V922 evening flights!

I have the impression that the bulleted blades are beginners blades as the weights help stabilize the helicopter but at the cost of agility. It seems otherwise for you. I can't wait for the slow China boat so I'm gonna buy some parts from my LHS. I suppose Mini CP blades (non-bulleted) would fit my V922. I like the Mini CP canopy, too bad it can't fit.

There is hardly any vibration on my V922. From my experience with larger helis, nailing down the source of vibration is a major pain in the butt! I hope I don't need to do that anytime soon.

I suppose your V922 tail does not wag? Would the Mini CP tail boom fit? How to replace the tail boom? Seems like I have to cut the wires, slot in the wires through the new boom, then resolder the motor.

Yes, the servos may not be fast enough, but from what I'm "hearing", it's the motors spinning up and down during rapid throttle stick movements (at Idle-Up). Idle-Up pitch range is +/- 11 degrees, which is a lot for bigger helis, not sure about micros though.

Why is this the most powerful brushed heli in its class?
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,108 Posts
Repaired broken tail boom with a spare V911 tail boom!

If I try to twist the tail boom, it turns.

The broken boom could causing the tail wag. I'm glad that I have a decommissioned V911 which had a faulty servo. I salvaged its tail boom to replace the broken on one my V922.

To remove the broken boom from my V922, I have to first remove the vertical tail fin. But it was glued together with the tail motor holder so I had to cut away the dried glue with a knife.

I don't intend to cut the wires as I suspect I have to replace the tail booms frequently, just like what I did for my V929. Removing the old tail boom is easy - simply break it completely. With that removed, I'm left with the tail fin and the motor holder. To remove the motor holder, just pull them apart. Now I'm left with the tail fin hanging on the wires.

The only way to remove the tail fin is to cut a tiny slit on each "square ring" on the tail blade. The square rings hold the tail fin to the tail boom. After cutting the slits I could pull the wires out.

Next, just insert the tail boom into the frame, put on the tail fin, then wrap the excess wires round the tail boom, then plug in the motor holder. Presenting... the V922 with an ugly tail boom!!!

Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Israel, jerusalem
Joined Jun 2010
22 Posts
now , for a good 3g micro heli,
weould u recomened v922 or other walkera helis ,
and can u tell em which ine is the bst i gee gunius cp and pro cp and i dont know what , so what is the lastest one from walkera and which is the best
darkingdoom is offline Find More Posts by darkingdoom
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,108 Posts
Troubleshooting Vibrations

Here are some possible causes and solutions. Please add on if I had left out any.
  1. Rotor blades are not balanced - one may be heavier than the other. Apply tape to the lighter one.
  2. Rotor blades are cracked - replace it.
  3. Rotor blades are bent (one is higher than the other causing poor tracking) - bend the higher blade lower or lower blade higher.
  4. Feathering shaft is bent - replace it.
  5. Main shaft is bent or cracked - replace it.
  6. Main gear is warped - replace it.
  7. Tail blades are bent, cracked - replace it.
  8. Tail blades are not tracking properly - bend the higher half lower or lower half higher.
  9. Tail motor shaft is bent - replace tail motor.
Last edited by FyreSG; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added main rotor tracking issues.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkingdoom View Post
and can u tell em which ine is the bst i gee gunius cp and pro cp and i dont know what , so what is the lastest one from walkera and which is the best
I don't know what truly defines "best". What is the "best" for me, may not be the "best" for you. What do you want from your helicopter? For me, the most important criteria is price. That makes V922 a very likely candidate as my "best" helicopter.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Sep 2012
105 Posts
hi guys

... as a basic principle you can get some usefull informations about that heli (not the tx !!) if you search for "hisky fbl100" or "trunigy fbl100" in that forum... they are quite the same, some small differences excluded (servo-design, canopy-design, aso...)... and there are some guys who have some experiences on them for the both came to the market some months ago...

... its not a good idea to glue the tail boom to the body cause its something like a rated break point egalizing some force to the boom in case of crashing (otherwise the boom would split...). just the same with the main gear which slips (more or less easily) from the main shaft, and the inner and outher ring of the swash - this parts are sticked, not glued with intent I guess...

replacement of the boom needs some desoldering- and soldering action at the tail motor wire

have also a look at the torsion between rotor and main gear - if its possible to twist the both against each other the main shaft could be splitted (even if its hard to see...)

tail wag is a matter of gyro/hs/motor-weakness i guess, i tried a lot to minimize it (different tail rotors, new tail motor, replacement of tail boom..) with little luck...

the most important thing for doing 3d is the correct pitch-range (same neg and pos...) - maybe you have to adjust the swash-linkages by turning the ball-cups - the setting of the factory mabey wrong...

flight performance mostly depends on the hs and that depends mostly on the lipo-quality, the best i tested were the turnigy nano tech 45c (the more c the better..) , the stock ones arnt so bad yet ... you can get 3 - 4 minutes 3d-flight, and a lot more at hovering or ff...

macem
macem is offline Find More Posts by macem
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,108 Posts
If you have my V922, you'll realize how loose the tail boom is. If I don't glue it, it may come off during flight. I did not use CA, I use glue for making art and craft. It's mainly to fill up the excess gap between the boom and the socket (think of it as adding friction).

Tail wag was not present when I first flew it. Tail wags after I crashed it badly and found the boom cracked. After replacing the broken boom, tag wag is gone. In this case, it is not caused by a high gyro gain.

If you fly this thing, you'll realize the head speed is not enough at Idle-Up. I have the impression that the typical Idle-Up throttle curve for micro CPs is 100-100-100-100-100. Am I right? I don't think the curve for V922 is like that, and I can't change it.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
105 Posts
maybe your tailboom really is to lose, i dont now (there is a small slot for the tail-motor-wire - without the wire filling the slot, it maybe to lose?) ... but as a principle there is no need to glue the sticked-constructed-parts at that heli (mine is the turnigy fbl100 - but its just the same...)

my experiences with tail wag were the same as yours - i thought i fixed the issues with my first tailboom-replacement, but it didnot at the long run...

and hs is enough for doing a lot of 3d - but not enough to egalize bad pitch-managment like our common over-motorisized 450-helis do...

macem
macem is offline Find More Posts by macem
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
The positive about going with walkera is the Devo transmitters. Overall the birds are similar, but I don't think there is another TX available for the v922 and you won't be able to bind another brand heli to the v922 TX. Price is the main reason to go with a v922, since you will pay almost double for a walkera mini cp with Devo 7e. However it is a programmable TX with BNF options with all Walkera Devo helis like the v120d02s, Master CP, etc. Then later on you should be able to flash it for deviationtx to bind to spektrum RX for your larger birds, however the ROM for the 7e is not available now.

It is a hard decision, but it is really up to your budget. I don't think you can go wrong with the v922 or Mini CP. Keep in mind I think the other helis you mentioned are larger.
othercents is offline Find More Posts by othercents
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Thanks. Ok great, I'll find some nice TDR MCPX canopies for my V922. Daryoon made a great white/red TDR canopy for his V929. I like that color scheme. If only I could find a MCPX paper canopy with that design! It should work well for my V922 evening flights!

I have the impression that the bulleted blades are beginners blades as the weights help stabilize the helicopter but at the cost of agility. It seems otherwise for you. I can't wait for the slow China boat so I'm gonna buy some parts from my LHS. I suppose Mini CP blades (non-bulleted) would fit my V922. I like the Mini CP canopy, too bad it can't fit.

There is hardly any vibration on my V922. From my experience with larger helis, nailing down the source of vibration is a major pain in the butt! I hope I don't need to do that anytime soon.

I suppose your V922 tail does not wag? Would the Mini CP tail boom fit? How to replace the tail boom? Seems like I have to cut the wires, slot in the wires through the new boom, then resolder the motor.

Yes, the servos may not be fast enough, but from what I'm "hearing", it's the motors spinning up and down during rapid throttle stick movements (at Idle-Up). Idle-Up pitch range is +/- 11 degrees, which is a lot for bigger helis, not sure about micros though.

Why is this the most powerful brushed heli in its class?
My impression is that the KBDD blades are much more stable that the stock blades but the differences are not that great between the stock blades and high performance mCPX blades. The bullet blades of the V922 are quite different to the bullet blades of the mCPX, being noticeably thinner.

I don't know the exact pitch used but some 3D fliers use up to +/- 20 degrees. Compared with other 100 CPs, V922 seems to fly faster and there is less likelihood of the motor getting bogged down when inverted. This is why I think it is more powerful than the others. I would say it is definitely much more powerful than the mCPX and Genius CP and probably around the same power as the Mini CP.

The tail boom of the Mini CP is slightly shorted than that of the V922. What many do is to use a 2.5mm solid carbon fiber rod instead and wrap the tail motor wires around it. Many will also replace the stock wire with thicker wires at the same time such as 26 or 28 SWG. If you have a Blade vendor in Singapore, he will probably know what to do. You must be very careful when you make a replacement boom this way. You should make sure that there are no shorts before you use the boom.

Just listening to your heli in the video. I could not see any evidence of a lack of head speed. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,241 Posts
Quote:
Besides the V922, I have owned multiple copies of the Walkera Genius, Mini CP and mCPX. The V922 is the best basic 3D performer and also the most durable. However, it is also the hardest to fly as its gyro is comparatively unstable. This is made worse by the use of a non-programmable transmitter without dual rates.

The Walkera Mini CP is by far the most stable and easiest to fly. All Walkera CPs come with a programmable transmitter. However, it is not as durable and has short flight times. So it really depends how experienced you are. I think it will be worth waiting for reviews on their new Super CP.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
Israel, jerusalem
Joined Jun 2010
22 Posts
thx zadaw,othercents,FyreSG
and like u said i will wait the reviews about the super cp
darkingdoom is offline Find More Posts by darkingdoom
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
thx zadaw,othercents,FyreSG
and like u said i will wait the reviews about the super cp
There is a vendor review here with lots of comments. The comments say it is lighter, more responsive, more powerful, And less expensive, however I'm concerned about the all in one servo controller, but you get that on the v922 anyways.
othercents is offline Find More Posts by othercents
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
218 Posts
FyreSG have you tried to use the V911's skids on the V922? Are they interchangeable?
helicopter_new is offline Find More Posts by helicopter_new
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter_new View Post
FyreSG have you tried to use the V911's skids on the V922? Are they interchangeable?
The battery shape and size are very different so the skids are not interchangeble.