3,348 Posts
Another pic, shows the linkage better.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:56 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Made up a mixture of epoxy,chopped glass and micro balloons to fix the base plate.
Made up a tray to hold the receiver and switch; the switch is a snug fit up to the servo,though I had to saw both lugs off to get it in.
All the wires go through the bulkhead,then pass forward over the canopy frame,well away from the pushrod.
Also a coat of primer on the rudders.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Bits and pieces.First a captive nut to hold the wing.1/8 birch ply to shape,bevelled to fit.After fitting the nut I opened up the hole to take a plastic tube.I need to find a nylon bolt for this.Fixed with the same epoxy mixture as before.I also 'beefed up' the other formers with the mix.The snakes pass nicely either side.
A piece of spruce either side of the battery bulkhead and the rec.tray screwed down.I hardened the lt ply with some thin c/a to strengthen the screw holes and get better adhesion for the Velcro to hold the rec.Hard to tell till I make it,but I think the canopy should clear this ok
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Fitted some magnets to hold the rudders closed.First two set into the rudders,didn't feel strong enough,so two more set into the horn bases.They feel ok,we'll see how the servo copes when all connected up.
The rudder halves are very flat,hopefully they'll stay together in flight.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Tail set up for a trial- it does help these things if you have a charged battery .
I'll try to do a vid when I get it working.
Last edited by Stupot46; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts

split rudder (0 min 25 sec)

Managed to get it going.As I suspected,the servo wasn't up to the job so replaced with a mg one.
Nothing is permanently fixed;the tail is a tight fit,the horns just held with the magnets and the clevis's push fitted- the far one comes out after a couple of cycles!
Now this is ok I can epoxy the outers in place before I start fitting the wing.
I'm going to fit a 1/8 birch ply doubler behind the canopy former;it's only lt ply ,needs to be stronger in case of hard impact,and take two dowels to locate the wing.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Been busy with "stuff" lately,so not much done.The wing is in transit,should be here early this week.
I ran some carbon tow in two shallow grooves across the fin,a length down the hinge line and also a double strip on the lower surface as a skid.The front edge I'll leave till I see how it blends into the wing.
Btw I can recommend a turntable for these sort of jobs,it's made life a lot easier.
While in the builders merchants picking up locks etc I came across this epoxy putty,should be ideal for setting blind nuts etc.
The other bits in the pic are a plastic disc affair with an wall plug type expanding sleeve attached.This from some over packaged door handles.Should be just the thing to set into the wing (with the putty!) to take the nylon bolt.
The strips are bits of neoprene draughts excluder,a cushion for the wing seat.
Something odd with the wing seat area.This was dead flat when I cut the foam,and I checked again when I put the ply on.It's developed a slight bow,which I've straightened with some balsa sanded level.Not sure what's gone on there.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Having some balsa sheeting of foam wings looming on the horizon I thought some adhesion tests would be in order.
Four glues;pva ,a Gorilla glue clone,a resin based wood glue and 30 min.epoxy.
1/16" balsa sections coated with an even layer of each,placed on the foam and weighted.
First impressions; both the pva and the clone moved,the second more so(I seem to recall Kent having this happen)whereas the resin and epoxy stayed put.
I'll leave them overnight before testing.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Wings arrived at last!Had to do a bench fly,next job is to deide how I'm going to treat these,particularly the tips and aileron lengths
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:02 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
738 Posts
Why not cut your own wings ?
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: prototype time
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:23 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
I've been giving some thought as to how to treat the leading edge.
Hi there,

I just sheeted a foam core wing for the first time, and also thought a bit about the leading edge. Most guys cut away a piece of foam, just as you described and glue a piece of balsa and sand afterwards.

I tried not to do that. I believe i managed to get a nice leading edge, perhaps the radius is a bit smaller than the RAE100 prescribed, but would that matter a lot?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:32 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
738 Posts
Hi stupod, something else, did this one ever fly? Have you video footage ?
Interesting design !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post
Why not cut your own wings ?
Couple of reasons- I hadn't a big enough piece of foam,a half sheet(2'x8')would have cost as much as these,and my storage space is a bit limited.
The other reason is the airfoil.I would have struggled to get the t/e with the set up I've got,and wanted this to be accurate.
Stuart
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Marked out the l/e trim off position ready for cutting.The guides are held with double sided tape at the moment,some small wood screws needed to fix.
I also marked the hinge line,positions for tow stiffeners either side,and main spar position.T/e also marked for cutting.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post
Hi stupod, something else, did this one ever fly? Have you video footage ?
Interesting design !
Its flown- after a fashion It's just a free flight test bed for the project.I managed to get decent glides with the wing in 3 different positions,but I'd built too light and it had a bad case of flutter.I've beefed it up but haven't tested it since.The plank is just a quick(by my standards) build so I can have something to fly
Stuart