SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:30 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Bit more done.Filled/sanded/thinner coat on the canopy.It's getting there.
Cut the rear fuselage away to the depth of the airfoil and fitted a deck.A former cut in from below,and a couple of small pieces fitted where the lower part of the fin sits.Sanded all these and then a coat of black.
Before I put the wire away I used the fuse templates to cut a convex foam sanding block,this to sand the underside.Something similar was made by one of the guys on the slope forum to sand the upper t/e on a Pw51 wing.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Another on the to do list is the fin.A bit on the heavy side,due to the way I made it as a complete unit with the rudders.They are an extension of the two layers of 1/64 ply at the core,then two opposing grain pieces of 1/16 balsa to bulk out the fin.I first cut out the two voids and then sanded the fin thinner and to an airfoilish shape.So far the weight has gone from 20 to 12grms.It's still pretty stiff;I had thought about pinching Marks idea and infilling with foam and glassing,but I may just run tow around the periphery and cover it with heat shrink film.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Sanded the fuse,filled and sanded again.Then spray glue,5 bands of tow and epoxy.
Ive ordered a glass sock to use on this,but don't think I'll need it.After taking away the canopy and rear deck the only awkward area is the nose.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
After the tow did a bit more fill/sand and then a layer of light cloth.Not so good,too much resin left on which pooled so I ended up sanding a lot of the layer off.
Second attempt,looks ok,scraped and wiped a lot of resin off the surface.
Found the bottle while shopping,should make a nice canopy.

Happy new year to all,Stuart
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:49 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,602 Posts
Know do know about heat shrinking those bottles around a form, I hope .

:-)

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Hi Bob,yes done it before on the Komet,still got the plug.
Afraid to say this one was an abject failure!the plug wasn't up to it.The difference I think was the filler,which was the light stuff;when I made the Komet plug it wasn't available.Same foam core.So back to the drawing board.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Mk2 plug.Rather than buy more filler I made a balsa plug.Sanded to shape then flooded with c/a.
I've put 2 layers of light cloth on so far.Most of the first layer was sanded away due to the epoxy pooling.Each time I've had problems making a tight seam at the nose,so I cut a disc of light cloth and managed to pull it tight without any wrinkles.
So,another layer on the fuse apart from the nose area,which will be 21/2 in total,and another disc on the nose to finish.I'll probably take some foam out of the tail area to see if it's going to be rigid enough.
I should have the wing early next week,hopefully the fuse should be finished by then.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Another layer of cloth and the foam removed.Empty it is 59grms;I have no idea if that is good bad or indifferent but it is what it is
Made a ply floor to sit the bits on; cable tie the battery and pack some foam round it,tape & epoxy for the servo.Next is the Y arrangement.
There is room in front of the battery if I need to add weight.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
This should do it.Epoxy the outers to the frames,should be rigid enough.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Gave the fuselage a full covering of body filler and then proceeded to sand 99% of it off.80 grit and through the grades to 600.Only gained 2gms so not bad.A coat of spray primer shows up one or two imperfections,but I'm not going any further till I get the wing seat fixed.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:33 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,602 Posts
Sveldt !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Sveldt !
Thanks Bob.Still more imperfections than I'd like,but a few primer coats and some wetn'dry should do the trick.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:20 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
I've been giving some thought as to how to treat the leading edge.Having never sheeted a foam wing this is something new to me.
What I'm considering is,with the wing in it's bed,setting up straight edges on either surface and cutting away the shaded area.Should be easy enough to set the correct proportion root to tip.
Remove the wing from the beds,glue on a 1/32 strip and with masking tape on the cut edge sand to fit.
Sheet the wing.If I can find enough clamps I'm going to do this between two pieces of kitchen worktop.
I'm favouring a spruce leading edge,similar to Johns.To get the profile correct I could make templates from the cut away wing beds.
Another question I've been studying is servo mounting.In the pic(which was one of the inspirations for this)they are buried in the wings underside with the linkage through to the top.I would have to make a jig to bore the hole at the correct angle,but done correctly it would save cutting into the top skin as Kent pointed out in his thread.
Any comments on these ideas?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
Canopy plug Mk3 Sanding/filing the fuse meant I'd lost the line of the frame,so I sawed the plug in half,glued in a piece of1/4 balsa and reshaped.New frame to fit this.
Also sat the servo on a balsa pad up to the framework.This give me the option to fit the servo arm above or below,whichever gives the smoother motion.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,277 Posts
After a lot of fitting,fiddling and four letter fuming I managed to dry fit the tail servo and linkage.Also the battery padded fore and aft,holes cut for a cable tie to secure it.
Next a tray above to take the rec.and switch.