HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Build Log
Plank 1mp

Might as well start a build thread.
Most of these pics are on the Q&A thread,I've just repeated the relevant ones here.
First is the wing and dimensions.I'm going to make this in one piece,using the carbon tow spar method and positions from Verns Colibre.I'm still waiting for the wing cores so slow progress till they arrive.
Next the fuse with the tail in place.The fins opened by a Y pushrod,I've grooved the fin out so this can exit the rear of the fuse.
At the other end cut the nose off and fitted a former and cruciform cone,filled with scrap foam and sanded to shape.
Next will be a hatch from just forward of the wing leading edge to the nose former and a couple of formers below it for a battery tray.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
When all the formers are in place and final filling and sanding done I'm going to glass the fuse.and dissolve the foam out.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,501 Posts
For Slopin I know the guys at Cape Blanco use a SOLID FOAM fuse made
from that Kayak seating foam.

It's great for impacts and good where the controls are in the wings.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
For Slopin I know the guys at Cape Blanco use a SOLID FOAM fuse made
from that Kayak seating foam.

It's great for impacts and good where the controls are in the wings.
I bet that's stuffs a lot denser than this Bob?
In the meantime this is all new,never tried a fuse this way before.I did a small trial and apart from the slimy mess the acetone made of the foam it worked ok.
Stuart
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
The acetone is not absolutely needed. You can pick out the foam too. I drop a big drill down the center, then with a big screwdriver, break off the foam towards the hole.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Got the formers fitted in the nose area.
First cut the fuse just in front of the l/e.sliced off the hatch,fitted a ply plate.Turned the fuse over and took a slice down to the ply to make the battery bay.Fitted a former and cut the centre out.Refitted the piece,turned it over again and cut out the centre of the hatch base.(Launch the lifeboat!)
Cut another piece of ply to fit on top,attached this with some double sided tape and 3 internal pins.
Reduced and refitted the hatch top.
Another former on the rear fuselage and joined together.
I may take the hatch off again and use it to make a canopy plug.
Stuart
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
The acetone is not absolutely needed. You can pick out the foam too. I drop a big drill down the center, then with a big screwdriver, break off the foam towards the hole.

Kent
I had thought about that Kent,but by the time I have all the internal formers in it will be difficult.When I get the wing I'll need a fixing point for a blind nut and a plate to mount the tail servo,hopefully in one unit.
Stuart(who's making this up as he goes along )
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,501 Posts
YA might want to consider TAPING the plug 1st .
That way the insides will peal out and away from the shell more completely.

Lotsa way to skin the cat.

L8r

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
YA might want to consider TAPING the plug 1st .
That way the insides will peal out and away from the shell more completely.

Lotsa way to skin the cat.

L8r

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Hi Bob,been doing some searching/reading up on the subject,tape was one idea that came up.Problem is if I tape the whole thing the formers will drop out,and I don't fancy cutting the tape away from them.
Also I was thinking of running some carbon tow down the length to stiffen it up.
One thing I would like to do is use a sleeve instead of cloth,then wrap the thing in heat shrink tape or tube( poor mans vac.bag)
Problem is I can't find a source of sleeve in the UK,carbon/Kevlar yes,but not glass.I'll ask in comp fab.
Stuart
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Decided to make a canopy.Fitted front and rear frames which I had neglected to do yesterday.Cut the foam away at the edges,a coat of acrylic paint.When I sand through this it should give me enough depth of filler to make a one off plug.The theory is pull the canopy,take it off the plug,remove the filler/foam and glue the canopy to the frame.Maybe pull a couple of spares for the inevitable
Need to go shopping for filler next.

I got a quick answer on the braid,ordered some from an Austrian company.

I don't know what theTapatalk is doing with the pics,half seem to come through turned 90*
Last edited by Stupot46; Dec 27, 2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Mean while,bringing up the rear,snakes in a plane.Fitted a slotted former and melted out a bit of the foam.I'd like to find something a bit lighter than these if possible.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
After a day spent building flatpack furniture(what fun ) a bit more canopy plug.Yesterday I'd rough sanded the black paint off and slapped(as you can see) some light filler on.Dry overnight the sand back.Bit more filler in the obvious places then sand again.A coat of water based primer/ under coat.This fills any small imperfections and when sanded will show any that need more filler.Repeat until smooth all over.Look for a suitable plastic bottle.A tinted one would be nice
Last edited by Stupot46; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Been having a think how I can keep this build moving while waiting for the wing.
In years gone by,with a high mounted wing,instead of shaping the fuse to fit the airfoil I've made the top flat and added a section under the wing to suit.If I used that method here( cut away the area above the line,add a 1/32,ply plate with carbon tow below to reinforce and a former below for support and to keep the snake straight) it would enable me to finish the fuselage.
Any obvious flaws in this plan?
Stuart
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
I'm not really following all that closely but, I would think that you could glass the fuse, then rough cut the fuse for the wing by using the airfoil profiles that you have available and finish up the fin/rudder, pushrod, servo and flight pack installation. I'm at a similar point in the Plank 2.5 build.

Once the wing is done, build a wing fillet on the fuse to match and align all.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Thanks Kent,my methods slightly different,same basic result.
Once I've prepared the wing seat the fuse will get the same treatment as the canopy.
Stuart