HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Build Log
Align T-Rex 450 PRO DFC Build, Box Stock...

I'm going to fully document the build of my Align T-Rex 450 PRO DFC, I'll be using an Align 3GX Version 3 for my FBL controller and twin DSMX satellites for RXs... I will also fully document the setup of the Align 3GX FBL Controller... I purchased my kit from Align T-Rex Store www.aligntrexstore.com, after shopping around they had the best price and a full selection of parts... They will beat any authorized Align dealers price, their price was lower without having to play beat price, after my purchase Align upgraded the Metal Main Rotor Housing, I'm showing the new version of the Metal Main Rotor Housing in this build...

This build is not a substitute for the included manual... Build your kit as you see fit...

I plan to show a few tools, tips and tricks...

Here it goes...

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
What's in the box...

I purchased the full combo kit, here's a photo of what's in the box...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
The DFC Main Rotor Head...

The rotor head comes loosely assembled with quite a bit of oil on it, I need to dis-assemble it, clean all the parts and re-assemble making sure all the components are in the correct position, I'll mention that there is no threadlocker on any of the fasteners so far... During the re-assembly I will apply some blue threadlocker to all of the fasteners...

A couple photos... I need to clean some parts and do the assembly...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
A threadlocker tip...

Instead of trying to get the threadlocker from the bottle or tube onto the fasteners, put a small bit in a bottle cap. you can then touch the tip of the screw or toothpick in the bottle cap and apply the correct amount of threadlocker... On some parts, especially when working around bearings or plastic parts it's better to apply the threadlocker to the part instead of the fastener, ie: when passing a long screw through several bearings... The threadlocker will lock up these small bearings, it will also destroy most plastics, keep it away from any plastic parts and small bearings... I use permatex brand, but any blue, medium strength threadlocker will do...

A photo...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:37 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Real Thrust Bearings...

The T-Rex 450 PRO DFC has real thrust bearings in the main blade grips, very nice... They have a small amount of grease on them, when I re-assemble the rotor head I will apply a little more...

The best grease I've found for use on my helicopters is dielectric tune up grease, it's clear, stays in place and is a great lubricant... The brand I use, permatex... (no, they are not one of my sponsors)

A photo...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Some Tools...

When I was building my T-Rex 250 PRO DFC I found the Ball Links a little difficult to get started on the Linkage Rods and the Titanium Turnbuckles I purchased for that kit(I highly recommend them)...

The best way I've found to get them started is to cut a small bevel on the Ball Link using a reamer, a couple tools you might consider for your toolbox are a set of lexan scissors and a body reamer, sold mostly for the R/C car folks I find them useful all the time with my helicopters... The scissors cut thin plastic such as lexan and canopy plastic very well and they leave a smooth finished edge, the body reamer can be used to enlarge holes in almost any thin, soft material and can cut a small bevel on the edge of a hole, perfect for getting Ball Links started on Linkage Rods...

Place the pointed end of the reamer into the Ball Link end and give it a couple twists while applying light pressure, that is all that's needed to cut the needed bevel on the Ball Links, then thread them on as usual... My set was provided some years ago by one of my sponsors, DUBRO and can be found in most larger hobby shops...

Here's a photo...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
DFC Metal Rotor Holder Assembly...

On page five of the manual is the start of the actual assembly, in the first step the Metal Main Rotor Holders are assembled... Most of the sub-assemblies come pre-assembled from the factory, they are put together loosely with no threadlocker, they do have lubrication on them it seems...

I have the Metal Main Rotor Holders taken apart and the parts laid out for re-assembly, my new style DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing will be here today, so I am going to fill in the gaps in this build thread... Now that I've got the parts organized I'm going to clean them up a bit and re-apply grease to the Thrust Bearings, also I'm going to install the Ball Links on the DFC Linkage Rods(A)...

There is a small unmarked bag in the kit box, it contains the Socket Collar Screws and M3 Nuts for the Main Blades and the Ball Links for the DFC Linkage Rods(A)... Just like the Align T-Rex 250 Ball Links these are directional and have a small "A" on the side that should face out when snapped on the Link Balls...

The manual is a little vague and is sometimes hard to understand all the information being presented... The Ball Links are supposed to be completely threaded onto the two DFC Linkage Rods(A), meaning they should be threaded all the way to the shoulder of the hex portion on the linkage rods, don't tighten them too much...

Notice in the photo there are two different sides to the Thrust Bearing Retainer...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:41 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Assembling the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders...

It's time to assemble the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders, you need to pay close attention when installing the Thrust Bearings, the races are different and need to be assembled in the correct order... The following steps assume the standard Ball Bearings are already installed in the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders...

The inner diameters of the two Thrust Bearing races are of different sizes, this is the easiest way to tell them apart, keep the left and right side parts separated when you disassemble the main rotor housing and you should not have any problems... The bearing races also have the words "in" and "out" etched into the back side, the lettering is very small but can be seen under a magnifyer...

First place one of the two Washers(thin, bronze)into each of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housings from the blade side... Next place one of Thrust Bearing inner races into each of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders with the grooves facing out... Then install the Retainer/Ball assembly... Pay attention to the drawing in the manual to be sure you have the Retainer facing the correct direction, the "closed" side faces in, then make certain the outer bearing races are placed correctly with the grooves facing the Retainer/Ball assembly... You should have applied some grease to the retainer/bearings and inner faces of both bearing races prior to starting the assembly...

Some kit builders might assemble the three thrust bearing parts on the bench then try to install the entire Thrust Bearing assembly into the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders, it is too easy to install the bearing reversed doing it this way, I don't recommend it, the method I describe ensures the parts go in the correct order...(photo 3)

These are the methods I use to assembly my helicopter kit, this build thread is not a substitute for the included manual, build your kit as you see fit...

The difference in the inner diameters can be seen in the close up of the Thrust Bearings...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:42 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Assembling the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing...

Next in the manual is the assembly of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing, start by installing the two DFC Damper Rubbers in the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing... Apply some oil to the feathering shaft and slide it through one DFC Damper Rubber then the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing and finally the DFC Damper Rubber on the opposite side... Next place the two Collars on the Feathering Shaft, one on either side of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing...(photo 1)

Place one of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders on either side of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing and onto the Feathering Shaft keeping the "Align" lettering facing up, then one of the Washers and finally securing in place with the Socket Screw M2X6, apply a small amount of threadlocker to the Socket Screws securing the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holder...(photo 2)

Next flip the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing over to the other side, repeat the above steps for the other DFC Metal Main Rotor Holder, if you don't flip it over and keep the lettering facing up of the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holder you're installing, you will end up with an upside down blade grip installed... The upgraded DFC Metal Main Rotor Housings new shape prevents the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders from spinning 360 degrees on the feathering shaft...(photo 3)

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:46 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Assembling the DFC Ultralight Extreme 3D Edition Swashplate...

Basically the steps are to remove the link balls from the swashplate, apply threadlocker to the link balls and re-assemble...

A couple photos...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Completing the DFC Metal Main Rotor...

On page 6 of the manual all of the previously assembled components come together to complete the finished DFC Metal Main Rotor...

I started by completing assembly of the two Main Rotor Grip Arm Integrated Controls; threading the DFC Linkage Rods(A) into the Main Rotor Grip Arm Integrated Controls after applying some threadlocker... The M2X15 Shoulder Screws pass through two small bearings in the integrated controls and then thread into the DFC Metal Main Rotor Holders, be careful here as threadlocker will sieze up these small bearings easily, what I did was insert the screw through the two bearings first then applied the threadlocker to the threads, finishing the assembly by securing the Metal Head Stopper to the DFC Metal Main Rotor Housing with the M2X5 SHC screw after applying some threadlocker to the threads

**Note: blue threadlocker has strong wicking properties...
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
The DFC PRO Main Frame...

On page seven of the instruction manual begins the assembly of the 450 PRO DFC Main Frame...
During this assembly the Motor Mount, upper and lower Main Bearing Holders, Canopy Mounting Bolts and 3GX Mount will be installed...

I'm using an AR7200BX for my flybarless controller and receiver, I am going to mount it in Position 1 in the manual, I may mount my AR7200BX with the pins facing forward, I am not positive of my wire routing yet, once that is determined I'll know better if they should face forward or to the rear as shown in the manual...

Unlike my Align T-Rex 250SE and my 250 PRO DFC the 450 PRO DFC includes standard "L" type hex wrenches, they look to be of good quality, also included was a phillips head screwdriver and small bottle of T22 threadlocker...

All of the components had the screws already installed, instead of loose in a small bag, that's a great way to make certain everything is in the kit...

A couple photos of the included tools and the parts needed for this assembly...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Assembling the DFC PRO Main Frame...

Prior to assembling the main frame all of the fasteners need to be removed from the aluminum components of the main frame, a 1.5mm hex wrench is used on all of these fasteners, during the assembly I will apply a small amount of threadlocker to the fasteners...

A photo of the dis-assembled components...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Assembling the main frame cont'd...

On genuine Align Frame Sides there is a serial number engraved in the CF, while there may or may not be a left or right side to the CF frame sides there are definite left and right sides to the components in between... Look closely at the manual during this portion of the assembly...

I chose to assemble my kit with the serial number on the outside of the frame, more for security than any other reason, pay attention to the Metal Bearing Holders during the assembly, once taken apart they are easily confused, look at the drawings in the manual carefully and you'll have no issues... Also look at the following photos for more details... For the initial assembly I will doing it dry, no threadlocker on these screws for now, once my wiring is sorted out I will apply the threadlock and square the frame for final assembly...

A couple photos...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
The finished upper Main Frame assembly...

Attaching and securing the other Main Frame Side completes this portion of the build...

In the manual the next step of the build is to assemble the Frame Bottom Plate, Skid Mounts, Landing Struts and Skids...

Here's a couple photos of the completed upper Main Frame assembly before moving on...

Ken
Last edited by kdill2160; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:41 AM.