HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
here we go round 2 ;-))

OK Slim here is round 2 . Been thinking long enough. Time to do something . So here we go. See I am useing a Panzer 16th chassic. This is the closest I can come to your tanks. I am useing styrine plactic 1/8th. NOW if only my thumb will hole out when I am cutting . Right now I have a base cut and sides.. I Will add some pictures later DON
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Last edited by Rustbucket; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
Pictures round 2 M113

OK here is what it is starting to look like the early stages will get better as times goes DON
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:17 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
more up dates

Well I put some more hours on the troop carrier. This styrien is not all that bad to work with . I may do all of my building by this white stuff.
NO saw dust no smells the only thing that may give me problems may be my wrist for I cut useing a xzackco blade useing the dull side turn up words..
May have to fine another way .I will use a lot of blades. I was wondering with a placitc cutting saw blade that is set up to cut plactic with a table saw those of you that build the way i am starting to when you cut with one is there any smell when cutting and if so how do keep the smell of cutting plactic down ?

. I have heard of specal blades that is set up for cutting styrine and other plactics but I know very little of those . I have been building by wood for many years.. Only played with Placitc off and on .
ONE thing no more heavy sanding that is one of the things I do like . DON
Last edited by Rustbucket; Jan 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:45 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
Nice! I dont really have experience in styrene yet. I have used small hacksaw blades to cut plastic in other places though. I think the front may be angled back a little bit too much but I could be wrong. I am going to be trying some styrene work here soon because I am building a rc scaler truck.
Keep up the awesome work!
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:56 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
Ya I may have to agree with ya on the front I was going by a small set of plans . May have do something about that one.? ALso going buy the pictues you put on the board and the style of tank chassic . . I knew I would hear from ya glad you did..
I have played with Styrine in the pass mostly for a bases for making molds . As something like this never have done it so I am learning as I go right now. LET me know on how you come out as well. Keep in touch. DON
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
UP date

HEY Slim I did relooking after you made that comiteand Did will agree So redid it and for me it looks better. As you can tell I am making head way with it .Still have to add the RC gear still with out any . BUT that is not a problem . It will all come in time.. By the way those pictures you sent on the board HAS REALY PAYED OFF NOW THANK YOU !! .
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:20 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
Looking good! I like it. Now I got to find some one around here to get styrene from. Its a pain finding it here.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:10 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Slim, here you go, I get mine from here.
http://www.estreetplastics.com/Styrene_Sheets_s/23.htm

Beats the hello out of buying from the hobby shop.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
Sweet thanks! That is a lot cheaper than than hobby shop prices of around 6.00 for two 6"x12" sheets!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:18 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
More up dates

Well I have been working on if off and on today. IT is cold out side the heat is on in the shop. MY wife is home been drinking tea today. Been a real nice day and evening . So I have been able to get some more done on the carrier. I all most switch back to the lepard tonight but decided to keep going the way I am . Glad I did now switch. was having a problem on how to set up the rear but I got it figure out .
I might even do a change in color for I have seen they were use in Nam as fire fighting rigs. So I may even concder doing a red one.
THEN I could loose it for my wife will like it for she dose like red. THEN If I go blue it may become history for Blue is her color ?
THEN She would have to make it faster then the stock running gear O well;-)) OK here is what it looks likes now .Still a working project .
IT may go army green of desert Tan ?? I wont know untill I cross that bridge.? DON
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:18 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Don, check out this for a lot of variants of the 113.

Even has one done in blue/black.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...3-and-variants
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:15 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
YOU know I am learning one thing with some of the tanks . Just like the ships you have to pick one class and year of the tank your buiding . FOR LIKE THE SHIPS things change I ran into it so many times speicaly when it came to the Destroyers like the flechers and the first flat tops . At times It drove me nuts. So anyway what you sent whear I am at right now I can go any way i want. Thanks those will help as well. I saw the blue and black one. thanks DON
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
Starting to get some color

OK the weather was good for some paint work so I am now doing primer work and getting the carrier the way I want . THEN I will start on detale . Just a little more sanding and filling should be done soon, I have all of the RC gear in it and she is running good.
ONE thing I sure like about the Styrine no more heavy sanding and primer work when I was working with the wood. O Ya less paint use now.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:53 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
Well hopfuly I will be able to get another coat of primer on it tomarrow depending on weather that is what I have to keep an eye on during our Oregon winters I never know what it will be like when I get up . Did some casting of parts tonight and putting away the detale for it soon.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:53 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
NO paint work today to Cold . Gave me time to get some of the future detale built. BUT soon It will start looking a lot better.