HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FresnoJay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:13 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Discussion
My new addiction.

Well I knew it would only be a matter of time before I got back into it from my childhood. This is actually where I started into R/C. So inevitably I would end up back in it. These are my racing babies.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Last edited by FresnoJay; Jan 28, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
I'm curious what your setup is for the Associated TC6.1? I'm interested in getting into on-road racing but I have a tight budget. What is the best bang for my buck for on-road touring cars? Are there any fully RTR kits for $200 or less? One tip I got for Lipo batteries was to buy "Gens Ace" which apparently make quality batts for less than other popular brands. So I guess I'm looking for these tips for...

Radio
Motor
ESC
Charger (maybe an iCharger?)
etc.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:57 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
My associated is run in a silver can stock brushed motor class but don't be fooled its not slow. My radio is a budget unit I got for $45 new. Its a flysky brand that can be purchased from hobbypartz nitrorcx. Has alot of the features of the big boys but a 1/4 the price. My esc is a castle sidewinder v-2 I bought used cheap that can be used for brushed or brushless plus is fully programmable. Motor is the class required Tamiya 540j brushed motor. Tires are whatever conditions call for. Body is again class specific or your choice but R2hobbies has a nice selection of pre-painted choices. My body is one of these (the anime one).

As for rtr choices it depends on how far you plan on going. Thunder tiger actually now sells several different options. Nitrorcx has many options as well they may even be listed as a drift car but all you would need to do is change the tires and you are in business.

My TC6.1 worlds is not one of these though. But it is a serious car with tunability to the moon. It just depends how deep you plan on going.

Jason
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:58 AM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Wow! The radio tip on flysky is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much Jason!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
The radio is typically the expensive part and takes a huge chunk out of the initial price of getting into it. You can get decent car kits or rtr minus radio for decent prices used or new. My first touring car the Tamiya TB02 in my pictures i picked up used rtr minus radio for $150 and was what i used to run my first series with and took 3rd overall. So you can get into the hobby for cheap if you look.

Jason
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Any recommendations on chargers? I'm hoping I can find a charger that's a good value like the FlySky radio (cheaper & good quality).

iCharger was one that was recommended to me for my planes and now that I would like to get into cars, I'll be charging multiple packs. I'm assuming using 2cell Lipos or 3cell eventually for cars? I currently have some 3cell zippy lipo packs for my plane, soo I want a charger that would can charger batts for both cars and planes.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
If you already use lipo's in you're planes you shouldn't need a new charger for the car lipo's. My charger is used for both. The one thing i did though was buy a thunder t6 that makes it easier when racing. Its a 4 bank charger that allows me to charge 4 packs at the same time. I also got it from hobby partz and it runs about $90-$100. They have others on their site that are cheaper but will only do 1 pack at time. 2 cell packs are going to be the norm if running onroad or offroad races. Larger packs aren't really roar legal yet that I know of.

Jason
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:30 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
New body and first custom scheme.

This is my new body for my TC6.1 Worlds Car. Its a Protoform LTC-R and yes its a custom paint scheme courtesy of my buddy Darkangel that showed me the ropes for next time.

Jason
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Looks great! I was thinking of getting a Sakura Zero S...I'm assuming this body would fit it? Also what kind of body is the Anime? Nissan 350Z? Got any links where I can find these shells? Thanks!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:49 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
The Sakura is a great car. Seems to be catching on fast as there are many running here locally with more showing up by the week it seems. Yes the Protoform will fit the Sakura well and handle great.

The Anime body is a Skyline R-35. Got it here and they have many others: http://www.r2hobbies.com/1-10-nissan...light-box.html

As for bodies like the Protoform body you can find them and other similar bodies at pretty much any online shop in the body sections. Tower Hobby, Horizon Hobby, Amain Hobby to name a few. But remember they do come clear and you will have to paint them. But the same shop you find the body should also have a nice selection of body masks like the Flame mask that was used on my new body.

Jason
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:51 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Almost forgot to add my newest acquisition to the list. Its a Tamiya F103L that is currently undergoing a conversion to F104 for parts reasons. Picked it up on a trade for the new F1 class locally. Pretty fun yet scary car to drive. Does look a bit different now and will post pics up when its completed.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Nice new ride Jason! Looking forward to seeing the updated pics!
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:47 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Just waiting on a few parts to arrive. Even with the newer parts they are out of stock everywhere. I guess there is a F1 building frenzy going on somewhere, lol. Hoping to have it ready and running again this weekend. Then pics can follow.

Jason
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:25 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Had a good day of racing. Was great to meet you Nickerz at the track today.

On a side note think I will be making some cuts to the roster after this series is over. I am running into some issues at the track that I don't like. So in order to avoid them I will be cutting down on the number of classes I run each weekend and the cars that go with them. Will post more when the time comes.

Jason
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined May 2004
370 Posts
Likewise Jason! We had a lot of fun today at the track and we appreciate all the help and tips you gave us!

Let me know if you decide to sell any of your cars as some of us may be interested.

Thanks again Jason and hope all goes well tomorrow at the offroad track!!! Take care.