HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,046 Posts
Discussion
Sea Monkey

When I went to the JR Indoor, Thayer was there. He had a very nice float plane for indoor flying and I am sure it could be a good outdoor plane also, but it will require calm wind. Really little to no wind would be great.

I flew it around a few times and the Sea Monkey is an easy flier.

So I got a kit from Thayer and have been building it. I got most of it assembled now. I plan to put some strip lights on it and then it will ready to go.

I am enclosing some photos of it. It is a rather simple kit, at least it seems like it is simple.

I always liked checker board paint schemes, so I thought I would try one. I wrote to Azarr and asked him, he said he uses tape, although you could cut a mask. I said, I wanted to do it the easy way, didn't think I could cut a mask worth a darn.

I have never airbrushed anything, but I bought one this summer, I got it all hooked up and the Elevator and one side of the rudder, the paint ran under the tape. I thinned the paint too much. It will be fine from 50 feet away. The other side of the rudder, I used the paint straight, no thinning. It worked very good.

I then painted the left wing tip red. That paint was just right. It came out pretty nice for a first timer using an airbrush. The right wing tip, the green was a bit thinner and it ran some, not as much as the blue did.

So I am learning to airbrush, maybe after a hundred gallons of paint I will get a lot better. Right now, I suck at airbrushing. Now that I see what the plane will look like, it may be pretty good. After the lights are installed I will see how it will really look.

Thanks for looking.

So here are the photos.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004