Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2014, 10:12 PM
Scale or Bust (mostly bust!)
United States, AZ, Casa Grande
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
Well, prop went on today. Starting to glue in windows. Completion is just around the corner. Now I just need some decent weather without snow and wind.
Well Scooch, you will get yours maidened before mine. I am in the dreaded Hobby King "out of stock" mode for motor mounts. Who knows when that status will change!!

I have fantastic flying weather right now too. Daytime highs in the 70's (F) and very little wind and NO RAIN OR SNOW!!!!

We need photos Scooch....Photos!
FerretMaster is offline Find More Posts by FerretMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2014, 12:56 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
Just have to put 2 of the doors on and clean up some wiring and it is done. The doors have to wait because the glue holding the wood that the blind nuts are in came loose. Word of warning for this ARF, the glue joints suck. Check them all and add glue. Now I just need some decent weather.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Feb 07, 2014, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
OK Scooch!!

She be lookin' good!

What size motor and prop combo did you go with?

Anxious to see your maiden results.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 07, 2014, 02:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
I went with this combo: MAS 13x8x3 prop. and the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4250-500kv Motor. We'll see how it goes when I get some good weather. I did not put the seats in and, running a 4S 4000mAh pack, she balances almost dead on the CG without adding any weight. That is with the pack shoved as far forward as possible.
Old Feb 07, 2014, 03:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
I agree....those seats are a waste of time and weight.

I have the NTM prop drive 4258-500KV on order and because of an abundance of 3S packs (that run 3x2 in series for 6S) that reside at my hanger they will be my power source. I may end up dropping back and reinvesting in 4S packs but if these prove satisfactory.....?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
...and the good news is...

The postal lady delivered my motor today and I lost no time mounting it up and getting a power check.

Motor: NTM 42-58-500KV

Battery: Zippy 40C 2650 3S (running two in series for 6S)

Prop: Master Air Screw 15x7 two blade.

BEC: HobbyWing 60 amp Platinum

Power: 44.1 amps @ about 970.0 watts w/ 22.1v showing on the batteries. This was at full throttle.

Did not have my tach within reach so not sure what the RPMs but she sure pulled with authority! I will give a check on that as well as the maiden that is not far away now.

So far looks like a winner on 6S power.
Last edited by FerretMaster; Feb 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
Put the Beaver on the scales and she comes in at EXACTLY 7.0 lbs (2722 g).
This is with the 42-58 500KV @ 319g and two 3S 3650's at 7.84 oz (244.2g) each for a total battery weight of 15.68 oz (488.4g). I have some 3S 2200's that come in at 5.48 oz (170.4g ea) that would save 4.7 oz (147.6g) and that would have her right on the published weight of 2500-2600g at 2574.4g.
I will try both and see if the extra 4.7 oz (147.6g) makes much difference in flight handling. The CG can be made perfect with either battery set.
Speaking of CG...prior to the maiden thought I would check with you guys as to where your CG is located. Plans call for 68-72mm back from LE. Only 4mm of acceptable range? What do you fly with?

Yes the dog fits through the doggie door in the background. It is a squeeze but she makes it work!
Last edited by FerretMaster; Mar 03, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 01:07 PM
happy landings
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,423 Posts
Nicely detailed dummy radial!

How did you manage to finish those landing fairings? Any particular glue or tips to share?

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Mar 03, 2014, 01:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
Shoe Goo to the rescue!

The glue is called "Shoe Goo" and I bought this tube in Kent WA a few years back. Still good as long as you keep the cap tight.
I basically tried to follow the instructions in the CMP plans but all my epoxy, from 5 min to 30 min and multi grades of CA....none would hold. The Shoe Goo worked first time. Much to my surprise!
I roughed up the inside mating surfaces applied a generous layer of Shoe Goo and clamped with binder clips. In after thought I would have (and still might) use more glue to make an inside fillet and that would enable me to trim the excess lip off and have a nicer looking and aerodynamic look. I could not get the fairings to mate up the the fuselage without a rather large gap on the underside. This I simply covered with electricians vinyl tape. Unless up really close cannot see the tape! Worked for me!!
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:41 PM
happy landings
Joined Apr 2011
1,423 Posts
Right on, thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
Is the thread dead?

Did this thread die of natural causes or was it I that committed the murder?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:28 AM
happy landings
Joined Apr 2011
1,423 Posts
I'm waiting for weather, as I have mine on floats.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:20 AM
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
Weather sucks!!!! Waiting to maiden
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
Well, I finally got to maiden my Beaver. The first attempt was last week. As I was taking off the wind changed direction just as the wheels were lifting off. The wind got under the left wing, lifting it and causing the right wing tip to contact the ground. The plane did a little flip. Not much damage. Just bent the gear and cracked some wood where the gear mounts. I fixed it all up and went out yesterday. She flew great. Not a powerhouse but a very steady and predictable flyer. I played with the flaps some (you really don't need them, she floats) and noticed that the plane wants to balloon up when they are deployed. I'll need to program in a little down with the flaps. The motor/prop combo that I am running is enough for flying. My only concern power wise is that there is very little (if any) power in reserve to help get out of trouble. The stock landing gear are crap. They bent slightly even with perfectly greased landings. Other than those issue I love this plane. Nice, calm flying. The plane looks great on low passes and is very visible while in the air. I am looking forward to many, many more flights on this. I think that this would make a good trainer for use on a buddy box. It does not have any dihedral but goes where you point it and is very predictable.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
Alright Scooch!

You got her into the air.

Mine has been placed on hold as all my experienced flying buddies are Snowbirds, this is Arizona, and with the Spring they all have returned North!

My experience level says to have someone else do a real thorough pre-flight and have help available at the maiden. I am gaining experience with my foamy Starmax L4 Grasshopper. She takes a beating and keeps on ticking as they say. Looks a bit tattered 'round the edges from repairs but still flys well and gets me the stick time to soon graduate to the Beave!!!

anyone else getting their Beaver into the air?

Keep this thread going!

Dave/FM