HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Goblins are something from above and beyond though. It's a different 'animal' all together.

I can't justify it either though... but maybe someday!
Right now i cant justify either, And like indoorheli said $1,200 is keeping it on the cheap side. ( yet reliable) I'm sure most will have nearly $1,500 in their G-500's when all said and done. -ouch-
And once again this goes on my back burner. I'm all about getting back into 3-D planks this spring and summer. The katana Mx and Max chapman 580
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
I don't think elevated costs are sustainable for helis. Not after Align did what they did. They're great, capable choppers and they're far cheaper. Sure there's always going to be the Cadillac in whatever industry you're in but is it sustainable? XCell used to be the Cadillac and look where they are now. No pun intended but the RC heli industry is very cyclical. The only people who have seemed to hold their ground on the top are the companies that are both great value and capable flyers. Goblins only fit one of those criteria as do a multitude of other heli companies.

I do think their helis are awesome though.... Very original in their design. But their design will be copied to an extent and that copy will be cheaper. That's when we'll see what kind of staying power SAB and the Goblin name will have.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Yeah at $1200 it can easily be reliable but I figured since I am dumping so much into it anyhow.. My end price would have been 2g if I didn't get a good discount from my preferred shop.

Even when their design is copied, like all clones they will fall short
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Or, you could just get a Blade 500X for about half the price ready to go out the door with everything. It sure looks cool, but there isn't a single thing that Goblin will do that the 500X won't do just as well.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:13 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,117 Posts
oh no...
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
It was half-way said in jest.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
Or, you could just get a Blade 500X for about half the price ready to go out the door with everything. It sure looks cool, but there isn't a single thing that Goblin will do that the 500X won't do just as well.
Having a 500x in the back of my truck right now, I disagree as they will fly completely different.

Just going from a 450 to a regular 500 there is a huge difference. The jump is similar from a 500x to a goblin 500, except with added quality
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Having a 500x in the back of my truck right now, I disagree. They will fly completely different.
As I said, there won't be a single thing the Goblin 500 can do that the 500X (or even the new 550X, whenever that comes out) cannot do.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
As I said, there won't be a single thing the Goblin 500 can do that the 500X (or even the new 550X, whenever that comes out) cannot do.
HN99 Cant say about the 550, but the 500x cant take the torque or the blades that the goblin can out of the box, so it will be able to do things that the 500x cant...in the right hands
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
HN99 Cant say about the 550, but the 500x cant take the torque or the blades that the goblin can out of the box, so it will be able to do things that the 500x cant...in the right hands
Like what?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Like extreme maneuvers that require or produce huge amounts of torque of course...

Go watch a goblin video then a 500x video and see if you are able to spot the differences, there are many.

Dont get me wrong, I love flying my 500x for the last week but I do not expect it to be as capable as a Goblin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Like extreme maneuvers that require or produce huge amounts of torque of course...

Go watch a goblin video then a 500x video and see if you are able to spot the differences, there are many.

Dont get me wrong, I love flying my 500x for the last week but I do not expect it to be as capable as a Goblin
Got a link to something specific?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:45 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Having a 500x in the back of my truck right now, I disagree as they will fly completely different.

Just going from a 450 to a regular 500 there is a huge difference. The jump is similar from a 500x to a goblin 500, except with added quality
It's all in your head. The electronics are the major contributors to how a heli flies. The mechanics are subtle in how a heli actually flies that I think it's all placebo.

That placebo is what sells expensive helicopters.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:45 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
No but just go search youtube, the 500x just isn't as fast, precise or agile...even with $800 of electronics.

I bought the 500x for my relaxing flights and so I can try new maneuvers and not worry much about a crash.

Not placebo, I bought it for looks If I cant fly good, I might as well stare at something really nice
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
That placebo is what sells expensive helicopters.
And the dudes who fly them. People worship Bert Kammerer because he's that good. I'm sure plenty of people start thinking about going Goblin because of that alone.