HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
S107G without spring in throttle - fake?

Is not having the spring on the throttle of the S107G controller a sign of being a fake?

We got our son a red S107G, and out of the box the throttle is not spring loaded. I haven't opened up the remote to see if it popped out or something.

Or did they remove the spring loading when they moved from the S107 to the S107G?

Other than that, everything I can see looks right--the controller has only two channels, the pattern on the back is right, the charged light color is right, the shape of the rear rotor is right, the battery separators are right according to this site. I just didn't open it up to see the circuit board.
arpruss is offline Find More Posts by arpruss
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss View Post
Is not having the spring on the throttle of the S107G controller a sign of being a fake?

We got our son a red S107G, and out of the box the throttle is not spring loaded. I haven't opened up the remote to see if it popped out or something.
I just got a S107G from ThinkRC a few weeks ago (red one too), and the throttle is not spring loaded. Got a S109 in the same shipment (black Friday special pricing, I couldn't refuse); it uses the same controller and that controllers throttle is spring loaded. I'm able to bind both heli's to either controller, so that's good. I prefer the non spring loaded.

I think they just have some of both.
FoeDog is offline Find More Posts by FoeDog
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,559 Posts
In general, all Syma S107G Tx are spring loaded. In fact, most of the Syma family is, except for S110G and S800G, the two that I could think of.

However, you're not the first one that has received a genuine S107G that has no springs. It could just be a case of defective Tx and the spring got loose or something. When you shake the Tx, do you hear strange noises?

The things that you've checked seemed to point to a genuine S107, but I think the most important indicator is the color of the PCB and what is printed on it. A genuine SYMA should have either a red, or greenish yellow PCB with "S107R5" printed on it. Look for it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2012
205 Posts
I think they are making some of the new ones non-spring loaded. I think that this is the new trend with the micros so you can hands free hover. I have a Syma S110G that is not spring loaded. The problem is how do you know what you are getting when China just does running changes?!

I think non-spring loaded is better for little kids, and I kind of like it too to do hands free hover.
Thanks for your post, Merry Christmas!
Evercopter4 is offline Find More Posts by Evercopter4
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,559 Posts
As I said earlier, the S110G and the S800G are two of the exceptions that I could think of. Besides these two, I haven't come across any Syma IR control without the throttle springs. Of course, Syma can do whatever they want and they don't have to ask me. I'm just stating what I have observed.

I tend to think that the springs are better for kids, simply because they tend to panic during crashes. They just let go of the throttle and it returns to zero itself. Without the springs, I think a lot of newbies would not cut throttle quick enough and would incur more damages.

BTW, I fly both models with and without the springs. The spring doesn't bother me. I switch between the two kinds of remotes without even thinking. I did try removing the spring in my S107G Tx, but ended up just putting it back, because I like that feel for that model anyways.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
I just got a S107G for Christmas from my mom, she said she bought it from some walk-in people selling them when she was out somewhere. Now I'm sure mine isn't authentic. My tx isn't spring loaded, has 3 frequency options. The box doesn't say Syma but something Gyro stated where the Syma would be. The helicopter itself, the on/off switch is on the bottom, as well as a round charge port. The USB charger cord light comes on very early in the charge, but seems to still charge, i just have to time it. The PCB isnt on the bottom like pictures I've seen, but up in the front under the body.

But it flys pretty good. I am an adult in my late 20s , I did feel kinda bad when i started looking up about it. But I just got to enjoy it and not think much of it for my first 3 channel rc helicopter. I wish she had got me a 4 channel, i know she doesn't know the difference, but its a gift and that counts.I will put it to good use =)

Edit: it is annoying that they would make a counterfeit for something that doesn't cost too much to begin with! I see it all the time with aftermarket car parts, expensive parts being knocked off and sold for cheap, but real Syma is cheap to begin with!
hypertek is offline Find More Posts by hypertek
Last edited by hypertek; Dec 25, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,559 Posts
Wow, Hypertek, that sounds quite "off" for an S107, especially about the PCB and the on/off switch! But look, there are many fake S107 that fly well out of the box. So, I hope that is the case for you. The key difference is that you can't source S107 parts to repair yours. So, take good care of it.

Could you do us a favor and share a few photos of what you just described? I have seen many S107s, both real and fake, and I would like to take a gander at yours. Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
sure, let me know what you guys think. I'll take a video of it tomorrow in flight.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
more pics. I believe the frame is aluminum. I do like how it is stamped out like a bumper guard for the gears.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,559 Posts
HyperTek, Thank you for posting the pictures. As you said, there are many, many discrepancies from the real S107G. I picked up many more after looking at the photos. But let's get past that. I just hope that it flies well for you. Is this your first RC helicopter? I hope that you will enjoy flying it and that it won't be your last helicopter.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Yeah thanks, I am still happy with it. Will tie me over til I go 4 channel, but I'll rock this for a while. Would be insulting to my mom (or anyone who gives a gift) if i replaced it off the bat . I need to pick up some precision screw drivers, none of mine are small enough. I want to check out the battery on this. Maybe try a 240mah bat. Sometimes its cool to be "different". The quality is up there too in my opinion. So all is good.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
just found out syma are no longer putting in spring returns on the throttle.i have just received 3 a s109 apache a s107g and a Chinook 026g all syma,only the Chinook had spring return.and i have just found a posting on amazon like i said syma are no longer putting spring returns on the controllers.
dave from wales is offline Find More Posts by dave from wales
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
Oh no not another one
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire UK
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave from wales View Post
just found out syma are no longer putting in spring returns on the throttle.i have just received 3 a s109 apache a s107g and a Chinook 026g all syma,only the Chinook had spring return.and i have just found a posting on amazon like i said syma are no longer putting spring returns on the controllers.
Yes, I just bought another S107G expecting it to be fake, and was quite surprised that it passed all the tests with an S107R5 board and it worked with my 2 year old R3 remote. No throttle spring now though so I presume this is very recent production.
eyemdee is offline Find More Posts by eyemdee
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Welcome aboard.

hypertek

Let us know how the battery change goes.

I had a S108 for Christmas and its hooked me like anything.

Love it, and I am in my 40's !

I modded my controller as it 'came with a spring'... thats out.

(post on this board about what I used instead)

But looking for other Helicopters, indoor for now but ones that are as good as but different enough to the S108.

What is the biggest indoor one you can get guys ?
Jay_ombie is offline Find More Posts by Jay_ombie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
Oh no not another one
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire UK
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_ombie View Post

Love it, and I am in my 40's !

What is the biggest indoor one you can get guys ?
I agree and I am in my 60's !

The biggest I have dared to fly indoors is a Syma S032 but they don't have such a good reputation so I am not sure I would recommend it. Very stable though, just like a big S107.

I am working on a Walkera V120D01 at the mo but I need more practice with FBL technology before I dare launch it in the living room!
eyemdee is offline Find More Posts by eyemdee