Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,760 Posts
Re-locate of the landing gear looks great.
Any plans to put a little more color on that good looking bird?

On a more serious note , how did you find out that the Gaui X5 shaft is the longest 8mm shaft? I've been looking around and no site I can find lists the length of it , just wondering for my own personal curiosity.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Some guy on HF measured them out. The flybar version is longer by a bit than the FBL version.

Color...I'm still thinking on that one. But white looks kinda cool too...
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:07 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Airframe mounting

Using some of that 3mm CF strip that I got off of Ebay...I made the airframe mounting. JB Weld was used as the glue. Real solid setup .

The mounts are screwed to the factory holes in the rear, and to the relocated skid mounting blocks in the front.

In the back I needed to grind out a bit of the bulkhead to make clearance for the tail control rod...

I also made a custom battery tray out of some plywood and that 3mm CF strip...and you guessed it...JB Weld

Installed, the battery tray looks a little like this:

For paint I used that Rustoleum Lacquer I mentioned before. I used 2 cans on it, with a couple spot repairs in the process. I do kind of wish I put on 3 cans as the colorsanding could be done a bit heavier, but the paint was getting thin in spots preventing really going 'show quality' on this fuselage. But it turned out pretty good, and with weathering, the few thin spots will be unnoticeable. I tried out Meguire's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Much, much better than the random stuff I found in my garage I origionally tried to use. Excellent cutting by hand, and very nice results. Highly recommended for stuff like this.

Shiny!

Well, that's all for now. I'm in the process of rigging it up for a test flight with the fuselage on, then I'll start with installing the small parts, windows, etc.

Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:25 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,760 Posts
Looks great , get up the good work and the pics a coming.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:56 PM View Post
Mikarro
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:58 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
waste of time making the landing gear 100% scale in a fuse that only has 50% scale details.
You are wasting your time to post here; and taking a useless thread space. Obviously you are not into scale helicopter.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:33 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Biggest noticeable change though, so might as well.

Well, she's fairly ready to fly for a fuselage installed test. Long weekend, so hopefully I'll get one in without freezing . I'm sure I'll have some video to post
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:46 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Sideways, can you list the entire shopping list .. with source or links for all necessary parts.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:49 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Let me make one up maybe tomorrow. One thing I can say...do not go shopping at Hobbyking except for the esc and metal baseplate (since you cant get those anywhere else I'm aware of). You'd be better off starting with an EXI500CF. It will cost more, but will save quite some headaches. A thread on just the frame aspect of this subject:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756309
Last edited by SidewaysLS4; Jan 02, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:09 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
On your third photo, I had the tail pulley slipping from EXI500 CF version; also the fourth photo the CNC tail the M2 screw broke off during flight. I changed both to Align parts. I have a brand new unopened EXI500 CF I got three years ago.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:28 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Sideways, can you list the entire shopping list .. with source or links for all necessary parts.
Here ya go:

EXI500CF...xheli.com (or an Align belt tail bird)

Plug-and-Play 500 size 3 blade head (smartmodel and Rc Aerodyne), tap as described previously

Turnbuckles:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Turnbuckles-4

QB-MXL06080-018 MXL Timing Belts Pitch .080 inch (2.032 mm) from:
http://www.econobelt.com/Q460/RFQ/de...e=tbelt/02.htm

17T and 15T MXL pullies with 4mm bore (see earlier post for details/mod needed)
http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/ItemDetail/10300405420.html

3ft. length of aluminum tube:
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...id=6874&step=4

MSH/Scorpion 880kv motor (much cheaper if you can find one, need to replace motor shaft to standard Scorpion however)
Scorpion HK3026 880kv motor (if you can find one)
Scorpion HK3226 900kv motor (current version)

YEP 100A esc. Direct copy of a YGE esc...with the same excellent stand-alone governer, cant beat the price either
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Align "slant" Trex500 gears (134T and a 11T pinion). Higher module than the straight ones...probably stronger

The one-way sleeve mentioned before:
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...39-auto/Detail

And a Gaui X5 flybarred mainshaft...here's Google's first pick:
http://www.anythingheli.com/gaui-x5-...-8mm-g-208357/

You'll have to fab some shorter servo-swash links also.

I think that covers the different stuff, a good start nonetheless
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:31 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
On your third photo, I had the tail pulley slipping from EXI500 CF version; also the fourth photo the CNC tail the M2 screw broke off during flight. I changed both to Align parts. I have a brand new unopened EXI500 CF I got three years ago.
Yeah, pretty much all the clones need 'tuning', lol.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:10 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Sideways, thanks for the list. Yeah, still have the Scorpion 880 mounted on the JR. But, it was dropped from window sill after I came back; busted the exhaust and scratches a few places.

Have a custom made 900kv 5mm shaft motor .... been using that in China in several scales; So, I am set as soon as you get yours done. Keep them photos coming.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Ouch.

Pics...ok . Getting closer to liftoff...but not today.