HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:10 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,263 Posts
Discussion
How windy is too windy?

The church parking lot was too restrictive to do anything more than hover. What with all the overhead lights, light posts, guywires, etc. So i had to stay low to the ground, It's good for the GeniusCP, but not something you'd want with a 450.

So i went to a different site i found, no trees, all around me is grass, and concrete roads with the houses yet to be built. Best of all, it's at the ednge of the village, less chance of anybody walking by.

450 sport. Is this too windy? (7 min 8 sec)

I'm using an 808 keychain camera. Likely a clone, the thing captures at 30fps 720p, but it looks more like an upscaled 15fps 480p. So it's kind hard figuring out where it's actually facing.

Do you guys think it's too windy? Just for reference, those are banana trees in the background so the ones beyond them are pretty tall. And you can probably tell the windspeed from the occasional dust cloud.

One thing is that after all the time i spent flying the GeniusCP in strong winds (Not as strong as in the video tho), keepong the heli under control was mostly just reflex. Awesome! It's a bit of a challenge keeping it in fron of the camera while flying in normal mode, but at no point did i feel like i lost control. Maybe next time i'll fly it in 3D mode and try doing figure eights, i'd rather start over from basics to get a feel of how different the heli handles.

LVC is about 10 minutes (Less nerve wracking when there are no wires overhead so i have more room). So i guess i'll be setting the timer for seven minutes?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:31 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,911 Posts
My 9116 would be 10 miles away after 7 minutes.

I don't think I would even have to turn it on...

Gotta be quick on the sticks to fly in that, well done.

It's amazing what you can buy in video capture equipment now.

The frame rate is a little slow, but the picture is sharp.
Sharper than a $1000 video camera when I was growing up.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 25, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:55 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,263 Posts
Thanks. The video reviews on the *REAL* 808's are impressive, even through youtube. I can't buy via ebay tho so i just got whatever i can come across. Maybe someday i'll go into FPV and i'll get a good camera kit.

That's actually the first time i've flown in an open area since the maiden flight. The heli was repaired in a couple of days but all i've done since then was hover practice in the church parking lot (middle of village, big building, trees and houses all around so it's kinda sheltered)

Helicopter Maiden Flight and Crash (2 min 37 sec)

That's the maiden flight several months ago and it didn't handle wind so well, it was supposed to be a hover at eye level, but it actually got lifted up above the sightline That's why i've been flying the GeniusCP same time everyday regardless of wind, so i'll have experience for whatever i encounter the next time i brought out the 450. There were a few times in the recent video where the heli actually climbed up really fast when the wind got underneath but atleast i was ready for it
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member