HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:00 AM
South Africa
Joined May 2009
24 Posts
I also started flying with a glider on an open field close to where I stay , I decided to join a club that was about 20km away .
When I went there to meet some of the guys and see what its like I almost got ignored and was treated like something the cat dragged in.
I ended up joining another club thats 45km away where anything goes , no competitions are held and everyone are freindly and helpful .
MariusPrinsloo is offline Find More Posts by MariusPrinsloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:59 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
I'm going out today to join yet another power club... if the field looks large enough... I've been through what Wayne describes... all of it... There was one dissenting member at one of the power clubs I joined, but I ignored his remarks and made friends with everyone else. He faded away and finally quit the club. I was welcomed every time I came out. Wayne is correct, it does depend on the club... and more importantly, the leadership. People can be welcoming, or they can turn inward and totally resist any kind of change. Oddly enough, those folks seem to be the ones that eventually end up flying alone. I have pretty much had it with stodgy, selfish people. Believe me, if I join this club today, I'll fly when I want and do what I want within the scope and rules of the club... even if there are a couple of turds in the punch bowl... Rain on 'em... they ain't gonna ruin it for me.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:51 AM
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Nov 2006
158 Posts
I should also clarify that I have flown with the guys at the local power club and everyone I met was great and glad to have me around. The field is not very conducive to gliders - the only place to string a small hi start is where they set up for landings. If the field was closer I would join them more often anyway. There is a great glider club about an hour away, but I usually don't have enough time to travel that far for sport flying.
uncledale is offline Find More Posts by uncledale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:59 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,260 Posts
In my experience, mixing and matching prop planes with "motor free" gliders did not work out. I was frequently met with "you want to set what up where" when I mentioned winch or hi-start. Additionally, one of the fields was a private airport (great runway) so neither was allowed. 15 years ago, a few of used electric (Nicad were heeaavy) or diesel or glow in the glider nose to get around this issue.

Motor in the nose did solve this problem.

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
Well, as I had hoped, I was welcomed at the Weatherford club. We'll see how it all works, but there was no dissension...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:10 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Glad to hear it Schrederman.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:34 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I just wish each "sect" of us wouldn't segregate.
City,

We can't all get along. We never will. A few hours after Al Gore invented usenet the first flame war started (probably which is better, Star Trek or Star Wars). You can Madlib any argument you want (noun) is better than (noun) and search on it and you will find an argument somewhere on the internet.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
I don't understand the appeal of the club. I just go to the sports field when noone is around, fly, have fun, go home. How simple can it be?
Clubs/flying groups have way less arguing than internet forums. If you want to avoid arguments like this you are better served joining a club and dropping your internet service.

Ryan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,939 Posts
HA!...best reply ever...nice!!
Seriously!

For what it's worth, I started the thread as a "Rodney King style Can't we all just get along" from years ago L.A. riots... referring to a silly and inflamatory, prior thread, where someone just outright started a thread saying one flying style was basically superior and another, if it should suddenly disappear, would make the world a better place (obviously my own paraphrase).

So I implore once again: "Can't we all just get along?"
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:58 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
So I implore once again: "Can't we all just get along?"
Some rough paraphrases for you:

Strother Martin - "Some men you just can't reach"

Jason Whitlock - "Fairness is a journey not a destination"

Ryan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,939 Posts
Never heard of 'em.
Really.

Does that put me into "that other group"?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:03 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,275 Posts
You never heard of the Smother Brothers??

Edit, Woops, never mind... I never heard of either one neither

* woodie walks across the "line" and joins City in the other group...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 02, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:17 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Never heard of 'em.
Really.
Stother Martin was the actor that played the Captian in Cool Hand Luke. I highly recommend watching it.
What We've Got Here is Failure to Communicate (0 min 26 sec)

Jason Whitlock is a sports columnist. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...crennel-010113

Here is a good one from Jason today:

Admitting a mistake is clearly the most difficult task in American culture. Too many Americans view admitting a mistake as a sign of weakness. It is not. It’s a sign of strength, a sign of maturity and confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Edit, Woops, never mind... I never heard of either one neither
You totally need to rent Cool Hand Luke today. You might be able to borrow it free from your local library.

Ryan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,939 Posts
ohh, I think I watched Cool hand Luke about 2 years ago when I was fascinated with older films...The main part I remember was him eating a whole lot of eggs...same movie? Also watched The Great Escape in same weekend...it was good too. I HATE the current "fast and frequent" editing process and like the older style of continuous camera angle.
The other...I really don't care a single bit for any sports, and even less for "the news".

Wow, did I digress.

Edited:
I've watched more movies drunk than...ahh..I've watched every movie drunk...recollection is thin at best.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:25 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,275 Posts
I've seen the movie... did I mention my A.D.D.??? It's a great movie, still can't eat hard boiled eggs...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY