HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,891 Posts
Thing is...it starts small and "innocently" enough...get rid of the "loud planes". That downward-spirals quite easily against us.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
I'd be happy to fly with any of you... I flew for the last 7 years at power clubs, and I was the only glider guy for 5 of those. I made a lot of friends... I am about to join yet another power club... and make more friends. Life is good. AND..... There's a guy in my neighborhood that flys a Radian from his back yard... I imagine he and I will be friends, too...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:25 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Jack, I have heard this argument made across many differing threads but I have never heard which club(s) it happened to. I am not questioning that it happened but was it a single isolated case or were there many occurrences where string launch members were effectively booted from their field? In addition, is anyone aware of any steps current clubs taking to prevent this kind of thing from happening again? As we all know many clubs are adopting ALES formats so the risk is still out there.

Wayne
Wayne,

I wasn't really posing an argument... I'm with the original poster and just want to go out and have fun. I believe there was an occurrance of what I said in Seattle a few years ago. In the early '70s, I joined a large club and made it plain that I was a glider-only guy... I was banned from using the club field... and couldn't get my membership fee back... It sucks not to be able to fly. It sucks to have someone dictating to you that the club has banned your type of flying... So again, as far as I am concerned... fly what makes you happy...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Argument was probably not the right word, but "story" didn't fit either. I am not trying to put words in your mouth. Sorry about that. It is just that I have heard this "story" brought up on other threads as a reason to not allow e-power sailplanes into one's club. I would think, hope, that it was an isolated incident but I have never gotten any more detail than "it happened". Just thought you might know seeing how you are very plugged in here at RCGroups.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,747 Posts
I know of one club that doesn't exist anymore and one of the reason's was letting electric's into the club and the club lost it's field. That would be CASL in Phoenix. I'm sure it's not the only glider club that's been electicuted.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,555 Posts
I thought CASL ran the contest in PHX in February? Sounds like they are in business to me, but may be wong. Sorry for off topic, just asking.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Wayne,

I wasn't really posing an argument... I'm with the original poster and just want to go out and have fun. I believe there was an occurrance of what I said in Seattle a few years ago. In the early '70s, I joined a large club and made it plain that I was a glider-only guy... I was banned from using the club field... and couldn't get my membership fee back... It sucks not to be able to fly. It sucks to have someone dictating to you that the club has banned your type of flying... So again, as far as I am concerned... fly what makes you happy...
This isn't quite what happened. The site Seattle used for a number of years dating back to the 80-90's was threatened by local soccer and the proximity to a new sewage reclamation facility, not electrics. The electrics issue wasn't caused by members, but by out of control non-member park flyers. In the end one of the locals (a lawyer) made enough noise that a compromise was reached where the Seattle club was paid to move the majority of their operation to a more remote site. The original site is now multi-use, with soccer parking in season, uncontrolled park flyers, model rockets, dog events, and even the Seattle group for social, community engagement flying one evening a week in season.

JT (SASS member when it all started in the early 90's)
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
...... Some people take their sailplanes, themselves, and life in general, far too seriously.......
Seems to be alot of that in internet forums in general. It's easy to be a keyboard pilot or internet bully and some people are indeed just plain miserable SOBs. On the other hand, sometimes people come across as cold and crass, a know it all, a certified PITA when in fact they just have an negatively perceived glitch in their "writing hand" or the way they write out a response or post.

Get 'em on the field flying somewhere and chat them up and they are completely different for the most part...I said most. Competitve type personalities are part of the model sailplane world for good or bad,it's a big part of the sector compared to others that don't take part in contests or acheivement programs. It's much the same way as wtih pro atheletes with thier competitve nature and big egos where some guys are friendly and nice and others are complete d**ks.

There is no excuse for being a overblown self centered egotistical butthead based on what you fly, how you fly, where you fly or the particular discipline you happen to
like to fly. It's a hobby, it should be fun whether you fly in competitons, just for the sport or challenge or just because you're ugly and can't dance. 40 years or so of flying and I've met some of the nicest people in the world and some I would rather have not met. It takes all kinds and there's a story behind each personality that could explain some atitudes. You have to take people as they come and sometimes with rather large grain of salt but no one is going to spoil the fun for me. At the end of the day I go home to a beautiful loving wife and a happy home no matter what happens on the field or in the big blue.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,747 Posts
CASL does hold the SW Classic Glider contest in name only, not at the home field they used to have. Another reason they lost their home field was home's were surrounding it. According to one CASL member the electric member's never helped with the SW Classic Contest. The contest is an event I alway's look forward to attending.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,948 Posts
Gee, I guess I'm pretty lucky. I am the president of the Inland Soaring Society, in Riverside, CA. ISS is now some 30+ years old and has always been dedicated to the soaring enthusiast. We fly from a 7 acre auxiliary dirt parking lot in Riverside, courtesy of the Riverside City Parks and Recreation Dept. All that being said, we are witness to some of the things that have been mentioned about other clubs being taken over. I don't think we have ever seen it done maliciously, but more like circumstances occurred that ended up with control of the field going to another group other than a sailplane group.

At the ISS, we have a mix of electric power pilots/members flying in coordination with our sailplane pilots. FIrst, I must say that we have the finest club members that any club officer would be proud to be associated with. Everybody gets along great with each other, helping each other out, flying one another's models and just having a good time with a good time hobby. I dare say, that if not for the electric flyer group that we have, our field would not look absolutely pristine. All of our sailplane pilots have at least a couple of electric powered models and most of the electric pilots have a sailplane in the hanger. it is a great club with some fantastic people.

We have done one thing and one thing only to preserve the club and field to sailplanes. Our club charter specifically states that the club is a sailplane club and that the officers must elected from within the ranks of the sailplane pilots and that the final decisions made regarding the existence of the club shall come from within the ranks of the sailplane pilots. This charter was approved by the City and incorporated into the contract agreement with the City to allow us the use of the field. And it works!

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,555 Posts
Thanks Prodjx, I have attended many SWC's, especially in the 90's at the old Rodeo Park site. I have been to the farm too, but remember when I first came to the contest at Rodeo, there was one house and the arena and carpet. Always enjoyed the contest and coming to AZ was a trip to see Mom and Dad. Thanks for the info!

As far as soaring snobs, met a few, met way more nice guys than them though. Have a great New year!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,878 Posts
The only rule at our field is that if it's got a motor it has to have a folding prop. Seems to work so far.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,692 Posts
thats a real easy one to get around ...
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
The only rule at our field is that if it's got a motor it has to have a folding prop. Seems to work so far.
Dave
If ya pound'em off the runway hard enough...they ALL fold...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,101 Posts
I sympathize with those who have lost a field due to some problem with the ugly spinning things, but we don't seem to have those problems here. Everyone is pretty mellow, which I gather has not been true of all of the clubs in this general area. At one time, we had a site that was big enough and far enough from houses that we flew glow, electrics and gliders all at the same field. We lost that one, but not due to any problem from us. The Army operated our field when we had use of it, and I'm told that vandalism went down when we were around.

At our current site, there is a group of local guys who are perhaps more of a hackey sack and whiffle ball and listen to the ball game kind of social club, but they fly glow sometimes. On the far side of what we usually think of as our field. But they predate us on the site, and so far we've had no problems. It's really the town's field and is periodically infested with soccer playing rug rats, but we've got a club member on the board and so far so good.

I say ugly spinning thing, but I myself own and sometimes fly one of those skinny beer coolers with a propeller on it. It even goes up in lift. At one time I even could be called a part time slimer. Or is it the plane you call a slimer.? I also have flown lots of free flight models with ugly spinning things, though those were (and are) rubber powered.

I'm a glider pilot, mostly, not really a sailplane pilot. Not because my gliders don't go up in thermals sometimes, but because my ego isn't powerful enough to be a "sailplane" pilot. And then there's the ink shortage....
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member