HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,981 Posts
Discussion
can't we all get along?

I was typing this reply when the thread was closed.
Basically...motorized vs. winch vs. DLG...who's the purest. (yet I think purists suck!)

I just wish each "sect" of us wouldn't segregate. Except for the Ted Kazenzkie (sp?) type of separatists, most of us could prolly get along fabulously if only we could get together in the air, and avoid all the hassles of "groundwork". In the air we're all the same. We aren't the first-picked-of-the-P.E.-kids for a game, nor the last-picked either.
We're on the same team!
We all go up, we're all forced down!
Some can't shoot free-throws.
Some can't do lay-ups.
How is it that nerds castigate nerds? We're all nerds!
Fat kid making fun of the albino kind making fun of the Jewish kid making fun of the______...
Come on!
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:56 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,981 Posts
here's a good example of a "different flying field"...please enjoy the video!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuttry View Post
actually here is a video of the area that i'm flying it is maybe high line wire tall and as you can see it is really sloped but here you are is the vid i did there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0psR...IElPdA&index=9
spillway flying (4 min 21 sec)

and a reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
dunno why I'm re-replying, but the combo of simplicity of video and music is really haunting (in a good way). Tangentaly, there's a totally unrelated thread that still spider webs into yours...
It's the terrain...
Certain pilots wouldn't dream of allowing their planes (children) out into the streets of the real world. Children (planes) can and should be fettered to the safety of the familiar?!?!
BUT! What happens on a field trip? Would you/they allow the kids/planes on a field trip to explore the wildly varying world about them? Or do we sequester them into the safety of the closet of "their world". If the parent (pilot) has never flown in the martian landscape such as in the above video, how can they possibly instruct their children (plane) to do/or NOT do so. And not just do so, but to frolic and play in this bizarre, unfamiliar world?
How can so many people say one way of flying is the right way? How would they fly in another person's backyard. Would they even dare to? Or would they say "That isn't the correct way to fly because I can't lay a winch line!"?

How can anybody say any one way of flying is "right"? Or a particular "site is right"? Rhymes to a kinda Klan-ish saying?! Why segregate?

Man, if it weren't Christmas eve, I'd keep typing!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Personally I find this to be a contentious topic here on RCGroups but not at the field. My home field welcomes e-power sailplanes, traditional string launch sailplanes and hand launch sailplanes. Heck we even welcomed a guy who wanted to try using a HobbyZone e-powered foam Super Cub to soar. We simply said that e-power rules apply which are power to altitude then its motor off until you land. He gave it a try but quickly realized that it made a poor soarer. He later went out and purchased a Radian. I often wonder what would have happened if I had pushed him away by saying "No you cannot fly that here". That particular pilot has become a die hard sailplane guy and spent all last season flying a Radian and now wants to try a string launch sailplane.

We even hold monthly events\contests where both e-power and string launch planes compete side by side. No separate classes either, the string launch guys are going head to head with the e-power guys. The events are a blast. It can be done and it is very easy to incorporate both styles into one event. This coming season we will be holding a Man on Man event open to both e-power and string launch sailplanes. It too will be a blast.

Keep the faith.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Good grief, Charlie Brown! It seems that many forum egos are heaps more fragile than good old woody wings, and infinitely more competitive. Some people take their sailplanes, themselves, and life in general, far too seriously. Why so much angst and fear about what other people think? Chill.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Hey! You got a problem with woody wings?
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:20 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,981 Posts
Did somebody call you non-competitive too?!
Fightin' words in a "get-along-thread"?!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
This string powered technologie is new to me. Is it like winding up a top and let her rip?
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
I refer to myself as the quintessential "purist snob". That's always tonge-in-cheek... followed by a stuck out tonge and a big grin, as above. However, in my 50-year modelling career, I've only had one model with a prop.

Yep, the egos can get a bit large on these threads. However, please realize that some of these folks are pure glider flyers that have lost their club fields by allowing electric flyers. They come innocently enough at first, but soon the club membership has swelled with electric flyers, and in a couple of cases, string-launched gliders were banned by these new majorities... after decades of that club being a glider club... So, it isn't always just egos...

I don't care how someone flys... or launches... or lands... it's their hobby and their toy. I just want for the same consideration. Have fun... I intend to...

Darth End of Thumbless....
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,868 Posts
Wasen't Joe Wurt's heard to say "Why would anyone want to ruin the nose of a beautiful glider with a prop" I think the worst thing I ever saw was a classic German model glider with a .60 gas engine in the nose. Stupidity should be painful.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
Oh....the confrontation! So why would anyone ever want a Glider when they could have a really nice Sailplane?
jwood45 is offline Find More Posts by jwood45
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Yep, the egos can get a bit large on these threads. However, please realize that some of these folks are pure glider flyers that have lost their club fields by allowing electric flyers. They come innocently enough at first, but soon the club membership has swelled with electric flyers, and in a couple of cases, string-launched gliders were banned by these new majorities... after decades of that club being a glider club... So, it isn't always just egos...
OOoooo...
I hadn't thought about that angle yet.
The quiet glider club being grouped into the "noisy airplane group" and losing their field...regardless if "true e-gliders" were quiet or not.
That truly would/does suck!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,093 Posts
"Real aiplanes have two wings and round engines"

Where does that leave sailplanes
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Wasen't Joe Wurt's heard to say "Why would anyone want to ruin the nose of a beautiful glider with a prop" I think the worst thing I ever saw was a classic German model glider with a .60 gas engine in the nose. Stupidity should be painful.
Any pics?
That's silly.
A 60 size would be needed to "power" a scale 100" WWII American "glider"!!!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
...Yep, the egos can get a bit large on these threads. However, please realize that some of these folks are pure glider flyers that have lost their club fields by allowing electric flyers. They come innocently enough at first, but soon the club membership has swelled with electric flyers, and in a couple of cases, string-launched gliders were banned by these new majorities... after decades of that club being a glider club... So, it isn't always just egos...
Jack, I have heard this argument made across many differing threads but I have never heard which club(s) it happened to. I am not questioning that it happened but was it a single isolated case or were there many occurrences where string launch members were effectively booted from their field? In addition, is anyone aware of any steps current clubs taking to prevent this kind of thing from happening again? As we all know many clubs are adopting ALES formats so the risk is still out there.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,981 Posts
My local site (Rancho San Antonio) has recently had some substantial restrictions. From essentially no restrictions other than not flying over the road/parking lot to this...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ho+san+antonio

While not according to your prescribed "labels", they are restrictions nonetheless, and to my own field.

If the current restrictions were so easily passed without any modelers input, could even more strict rules be implemented? Could YOUR site be next?