HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should ALL firearms sales (transfers) in the US require a background check?
Yes, all firearms transfers should require a background check 28 62.22%
No. Private sales should be allowed to occur freely. 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,726 Posts
Poll
Should ALL firearms sales in the US require a background check?

Since the original thread about "sensible gun laws" has become a battleground of personalities, how about a simple poll?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,726 Posts
As an avid firearms owner I think this is a reasonable requirement. It also provides a measure of safety and peace of mind for both the buyer and the seller.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
By now everyone knows I am pro gun but I will break ranks and agree every firearm transfer should be done at a FFL. I don't have a problem with it since I have done so several times to protect myself.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
I have no problem with that. We have that anyway along with other requirements.
I would like to see things consistent from state to state instead of each one for themselves. Like I had posted in another thread, the process here takes about a half hour to complete with the forms, electronic fingerprinting, and background check. You spend more time talking and looking at everything anyway while you're in the shop. Pour yourself a coffee and have good conversation while you're there.

Greg
deerdad is offline Find More Posts by deerdad
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
We don't need any more unenforceable laws... we need to enforce the ones in place vigorously. However, the full background check should be mandatory for ANY gun sale. That being said, it will be as always. The criminally inclined will not follow the laws and ill gotten guns will continue to plague us... as will those progressives that mistakenly think they can legislate the criminal mind.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
That ^^
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
I would, but like shreder said, its not going to do anything good.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Most of the gun's that we come across are hot.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,726 Posts
But it will do SOME good, that's the point. There are folks out there who are completely clueless, selling firearms to whomever. They don't even bother to check IDs or get a signed bill of sale. You cannot convince me that this is a good thing.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
But it will do SOME good, that's the point. There are folks out there who are completely clueless, selling firearms to whomever. They don't even bother to check IDs or get a signed bill of sale. You cannot convince me that this is a good thing.
Ok, it's a good thing, Oh its going to cost ya !
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
I sold a gun to a local guy and we met at a local FFL gun shop to make the sale. He had a NICS , I had proof that I no longer owned the gun and we split the $30 dollar FFL charge. Small price to pay for personal protection IMO
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:57 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
362 Posts
Yep, all gun sales should require a BC.
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientech View Post
I sold a gun to a local guy and we met at a local FFL gun shop to make the sale. He had a NICS , I had proof that I no longer owned the gun and we split the $30 dollar FFL charge. Small price to pay for personal protection IMO
Exactly, but the larger effect is that it will help weed out the criminal element.

My LGS charges $20 for such a transaction. He's a good guy, bought him a bottle of Blanton's for Christmas
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I too am willing to break ranks and allow requiring a background check for every purchase... with a few caveats.

1. NO further gun legislation can occur that would further restrict someone who can pass the check on what types of guns, amo , or clips/mags they can buy.

2. ALL FFL sellers capable of submitting the check are to do so FREE OF CHARGE to any pair of people who walk in the door and wish to transfer a firearm. It should be a cost of doing business sort of thing. I would support making local libraries capable of doing the check and issuing paperwork, all mind you in the absence of a firearm. the physical transaction can take place anywhere after the fact.

3. It shall not be made illegal to posses a weapon that is not registered to you if it is NOT reported stolen. ( there are too many guns out there that are not in the registered owners hands and I do not support a registration scheme.)
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
683 Posts
LOL @ Austin, he thinks compromise is a two way street!
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E