HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Maybe you guys could do a CodePlex project to add the code, have a blog, comments, version system, etc. It seems easier then other systems I have seen IMO. Can also hook up directly to Visual Studio and/or github if that is what you use.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
190 Posts
This is great work. Except for the accelerators(self levelers) your closing in on the Guardian 2D/3D for 17.99.
flightdeck is online now Find More Posts by flightdeck
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
190 Posts
I do have one question though.If an esc BEC puts out 4.8 volts to the receiver wouldn't that be transferred to the stabilizer through the inputs?If so wouldn't that overpower the gyros?
flightdeck is online now Find More Posts by flightdeck
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdeck View Post
I do have one question though.If an esc BEC puts out 4.8 volts to the receiver wouldn't that be transferred to the stabilizer through the inputs?If so wouldn't that overpower the gyros?
No, there is an internal stabilizer providing 3.3V.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,444 Posts
it's unclear if the chip is still okay, bricked or burnt

which programming tool are you using? avrdude or extremeburner?

have you tried disconnecting all the servos from the rx3s?

also, try extremeburner. occasionally, i'll get a chip id not found or similar error, trying again usually works for me.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idonasch View Post
I tried to upgrade to 20130112 while the unit was installed in the system, now the unit is "bricked". bummer, worked fine this morning, but now the programmer complained "Power on failed - can't communicate". (yes, I had the unit powered on from an external battery and I'm sure not to program the fuses!). used a USBASP, anybody any idea how to un-brick?
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,444 Posts
Quote:
extreme burner says" RX3S_v1_20130112 " corrupt hex file .Rechecked link is not to raw Hex file.
if you clicked on https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab...1_20130112.hex

you'll see a web page of the hex file contents.

right click on the "Raw" button on the right and choose "save as". the saved file should be the one that the programmer can accept..

edit: i just read johnrb stated the same thing. thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,444 Posts
i think the programmer can be a little flaky sometimes. just try again.

thanks for testing out the process. right now, i think it's still not ready for flight testing yet so it's best to keep to ground tests (ie. function modes, servo response, tx control, 10ms/20ms frame update, etc).

i'm still working on a bunch of performance improvements and then later more feature improvements..

thanks!

Quote:
No problem I'll wait. After erasing the chip and finding the file corrupt(probably my fault).I rewrote the first version of the program to the chip again and it worked .This is on a V1.First shipment from Hobbyking and the Hobbyking programmer with the jumper on.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,444 Posts
ah, i've never heard of codeplex till now.

i wanted to learn git, so i chose github. i also don't use the microsoft development environment. so, sorry

github with git seems to have a nice source code control system as well. all my checks have been tracked at the github site if you are interested: https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab/commits/master

github's documentation system is not so good (using some kind of wiki-like markdown system). still trying to grapple with that..

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Maybe you guys could do a CodePlex project to add the code, have a blog, comments, version system, etc. It seems easier then other systems I have seen IMO. Can also hook up directly to Visual Studio and/or github if that is what you use.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,444 Posts
an update:

argh.. doh!

the builds process is very manual and i have to specify target boards, change #defines, copy and rename files for several combinations.

so, i may have generated the hex files targeted for my development board (arduino nano atmega328p). in this case, if you flashed a bad image, it would look like a dead (or bricked) board after that. fortunately, you can simply reflash with a working image and all will be well again.

so, just in case, i've rebuilt the images again and checked them in. please use the latest ones in

https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab/tree/master/Builds

- RX3S_V1_20130112.hex
- RX3S_V2_20130112.hex

thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,444 Posts
edit: thank goodness for source code version control. i've rolled back the change to set the i2c bus speed from 100khz to 400khz. tested on my nano/mpu6050 board and an rx3s_v2 board. for some reason, 400khz is breaking on my mpu6050 board, but i'm not sure about the rx3s boards. in any case, rolling the speed back to be safe.

both boards are working now, the repository should be green.

===================

argh, again.

i seem to have broken something along the way (likely i2c/gyro access).

so please do not use the 20130112 images at this time..

thanks and apologies!
Last edited by noobee; Jan 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:41 AM
Better to burn out, than fade
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2012
29 Posts
Where can I find how to connect v1 to programmer and how to correclty set parameters in extremburner to do flashing?

(also, on extreburner page there is a possibility to upgrade usb-programmer(from HK) - but dont' know hot to do this either)
SlimTom is offline Find More Posts by SlimTom
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:05 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
73 Posts
USB programmer, warning!

the 6pin ISP connector goes to the pins marked ISP with the nose pointing to rudder input connector. ithe fit is a little tight and is bending the rudder input 5V pin a little.

****programmer question/warning! ****
since I bricked my V1, could that be because the programmer uses 5V on the data pins and the chip runs only on 3.3V? according to the data sheet the max voltage for miso/mosi/sck is Vcc+0.5V? any atmel guru around to confirm my suspicion?

I used this HK USBasp: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html
idonasch is offline Find More Posts by idonasch
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:20 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
73 Posts
eXtreme burner settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTom View Post
Where can I find how to connect v1 to programmer and how to correclty set parameters in extremburner to do flashing?

(also, on extreburner page there is a possibility to upgrade usb-programmer(from HK) - but dont' know hot to do this either)
1) extreme burner setup is explained here: https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab
to use the HK programmer you should select settings->programming mode->ISP.

2) don't know why you need to update the programmer firmware? in order to do this you need a second programmer as master and connect the 2 with the 10pin cable. on the target USBasp you need to short the jumper pad next to R8. this will connect the RST pin with the reset pin on the atmega and makes it a programming target. I must admit that I have not done that myself but this is how I programmed my selfmade programmer (which is a USBasp clone). firmware is available from here: http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
idonasch is offline Find More Posts by idonasch
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:12 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idonasch View Post
****programmer question/warning! ****
since I bricked my V1, could that be because the programmer uses 5V on the data pins and the chip runs only on 3.3V? according to the data sheet the max voltage for miso/mosi/sck is Vcc+0.5V? any atmel guru around to confirm my suspicion?
Not a guru, but have read the data sheet...
When you were programming, how was the AVR powered? If it was with 5v through the ASP - that's fine. It you applied power through the regulator so VCC was 3.3V - then you're in uncharted territory.

I'm not sure if the ISP +5V goes direct to the VCC pin as I would expect it to, or feeds the reg. If it goes through the reg, that's just asking for problems, exactly as you described.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
not sure if the ISP +5V goes direct to the VCC pin
It goes directly to the VCC pin of the atmega. Programmers like avrdragon use this pin to measure the atmegas VCC and then adjust the mosi/miso/sck signals accordingly.

I have flashed a 3.3V atmega (openlrs) many times with usbasp device, the 5V jumper removed from the usbasp. No problems yet.
One important thing is to put that connector in the right place with the correct orientation, and NOT mess with the fuses.
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco